The Satanic Verses, by Salman Rushdie
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2011 :  06:18:41  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I must admit that I tend to deliberately avoid reading "lit'rary" books. My type of book tends to be of a more popular type. That's my excuse (and a poor one it is) for only just now having read Salman Rushdie's 1988 novel, The Satanic Verses.

I sincerely wish I'd read this novel years ago. Not only is The Satanic Verses good literature, it's also a very "good read."

Most of you will be familiar with the fact that Salman Rushdie is living under a continuing death sentence issued in 1989 by Iran's then supreme theocrat, the late Ayatollah Khomeini. Supposedly, the reason Khomeini issued a fatwa calling for Rushdie's death (and a bounty for his assassin), was that The Satanic Verses showed disrespect to the Prophet Muhammad.
This was when he had the idea that destroyed his faith, because he recalled that Mahound himself had been a businessman, and a damned successful one at that, a person to whom organization and rules came naturally, so how excessively convenient it was the he should have come up with such a businesslike archangel, who handed down management decisions of this highly corporate, if non-corporeal, God.
The novel certainly does show that disrespect, but it also has scenes in which portray a nasty and monomaniacal Imam, exiled in England, who uses the shed blood of countless others to seize power in his native country.
Loose-robed, frowning, ominous, awake: this is the Imam.

. . .

For there is an enemy beyond Ayesha, and it is History herself. History is the blood-wine that must no longer be drunk. History is the intoxicant, the creation and possession of the Devil, of the great Shaitan, the greatest of lies -- progress, science, rights -- against which the Imam has set his face. History is a deviation from the Path, knowledge is a delusion, because the sum of knowledge was complete on the day Al-Lah finished his revelation to Mahound.
It's obvious that the Imam referred to by Rushdie is Khomeini, and the country is Iran. It's also seems very likely to me that the insult to the Imam, as much or more than the insult to the Prophet, was the reason Khomeini wanted Rushdie dead.

As a thoroughgoing skeptic, Rushdie is "one of us."
Unwilling to wholly abandon the project for which his wife had died, unable to maintain any longer the absolute belief which the enterprise required, Muhammad Din entered the station wagon of scepticism. 'My first convert,' Mirza Saeed rejoiced.
Perhaps the primary point of Verses is to be found Rushdie's questions, "What kind of idea are you?" and "What happens when you win?" I respectfully suggest you read The Satanic Verses to discover what these questions mean.

There are two primary characters, India-born former Muslims who begin the novel by falling from the sky. In plot, the novel is very complex, often seemingly chaotic, but maintains its focus through various story lines and across more than a thousand years of time. The plot never drags, though the narrative does drag the reader along like a passenger who has his coattail caught in the door of a departing taxi. By turns humorous, scary, political, thoughtful and whimsical, The Satanic Verses is worth reading for its high entertainment value alone.

Oh, yeah, it's "literary," too.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 01/09/2011 07:07:35

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2011 :  09:03:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok, gonna have to read that one, but it'll have to wait until my cataract surgery is done. Right now, I can only read the largest text size on my computer screen and no longer drive after dark. I'm just one step up from Old Pew.

Isn't the bounty on Rushdi something 5 mil?

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2011 :  16:50:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

Ok, gonna have to read that one, but it'll have to wait until my cataract surgery is done. Right now, I can only read the largest text size on my computer screen and no longer drive after dark. I'm just one step up from Old Pew.

Isn't the bounty on Rushdi something 5 mil?

The cataract surgery in my right eye 8 years ago was surely a boon to me. In the meantime, have you asked your county library about audio books?

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds.