“PUSA INSIDE”
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2010 :  06:59:57  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bim and I moved out of our tiny apartment in Suello Village about a month ago, to a nice, small, two-story, 3-bedroom home in the Woods Gate community of Camp 7 Barangay. My rental expenses have risen 50%, from $222 to $333.

The new digs.

For only the second time in my life, I hired professional movers. The cost for the moving truck and three movers was 1,500 PHP ($30), and I gave the men another 500 PHP ($10) as a tip. The men were very muscular, appearing like weightlifters, but were extremely gentle, breaking nothing. They worked entirely without dollies, carrying everything on their shoulders. Some of my 15 balakbayan boxes, which had sat in the carport at Suello, weighed nearly 200 lbs. One of the boxes had been soaked from many weeks of standing water at its base, and was half-rotten. Luckily, that box had my old scooter's rain cover in the bottom, and above that, my Rubbermaid toolbox. Nothing inside any of the boxes was damaged, from water, or from moving.

A couple of days after the move, Bim arrived home from work carrying a cardboard box, marked "PUSA INSIDE," and from which was coming a demonic yowling. "I got a cat," she said. "It wandered into the restaurant."

"Oh, Hell no!" I said firmly, "It goes back tomorrow."

The Pusa Box.

But I reluctantly, and with considerable fear engendered by the yowls and some personal experiences with cats, agreed to have a look at the "pusa." First getting some package-wrapping straps, Bim reached into the box and then brought out the leashed pusa. It was an adorable and alert little kitten, white with a black dot on its forehead, a dark tail, and sky-blue eyes like a Siamese. I told Bim, "Yes, of course, let's keep her."

Toshiko, the Pusa.

Toshiko is her name now. She spends all day and night turning kitten kibbles, water and mischief into cat. She is constantly discovering all the horrid instinctual feline evils, and even inventing completely novel cat depravities. Toshiko terrorizes my elderly Chihuahua, Missy (she who long chased raccoons, and once charged after a fully grown black bear boar.) But she is now flea-less, and will be worm-less and vaccinated soon as well.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 10/23/2010 07:22:52

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2010 :  07:19:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also spayed, eh? That will save you & Bim a lot of hassle down the road.

Great new pad and neat pusa!

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2010 :  07:20:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mooner, it's a good thing you finally got a cat to give your life meaning and direction. You should warmly welcome your new feline overlord.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2010 :  07:26:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

Oh, yes, definitely spayed at the proper age! BTW, I now understand better your occasional remarks about the cat who has you.

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2010 :  07:32:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Mooner, it's a good thing you finally got a cat to give your life meaning and direction. You should warmly welcome your new feline overlord.
Yes. I was trying to nap yesterday, laying on my right side. Toshiko jumped up onto my left shoulder and rested, purring contentedly as I petted her. Suddenly, she swatted my eye. Luckily, I blinked fast enough, so the scratches are only on my eyelid, not my eyeball.

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2010 :  07:50:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

Originally posted by filthy

Oh, yes, definitely spayed at the proper age! BTW, I now understand better your occasional remarks about the cat who has you.

Alas, the old cat no longer owns me. She died a couple of months ago. It took her nigh 18 years to do it, but she finally got it over with. I'll not replace her, as I don't want a pet that might out-live me. My single remaining snake is, in copperhead years, in late, middle age.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2010 :  11:42:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Originally posted by Dave W.

Yes. I was trying to nap yesterday, laying on my right side. Toshiko jumped up onto my left shoulder and rested, purring contentedly as I petted her. Suddenly, she swatted my eye. Luckily, I blinked fast enough, so the scratches are only on my eyelid, not my eyeball.

Sorry, couldn't resist....

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2010 :  14:09:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Suddenly, she swatted my eye. Luckily, I blinked fast enough, so the scratches are only on my eyelid, not my eyeball.
I claim no expertise in animal behaviour, but I've been told that cats exhibit signs when they are getting annoyed by the petting.
Remember, they don't speak human but Cat, and something like flicking their tail sideways might mean "that's enough petting, just let me lie here purring and we'll be allright".
But since you (ignorantly) chose to ignore the warning, you got the swipe instead.

I bet there are web-sites explaining these things, just like there are "dog-whisperer" programs on TV telling you how to straighten your dog out. It's a matter of learning to read the signs, and how to communicate to your cat, and you've got a chance of less shredding.

But what do I know about pets? All I managed to do was to learn my aquarium fish to do back-strokes...

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2010 :  20:45:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

Suddenly, she swatted my eye. Luckily, I blinked fast enough, so the scratches are only on my eyelid, not my eyeball.
I claim no expertise in animal behaviour, but I've been told that cats exhibit signs when they are getting annoyed by the petting.
Remember, they don't speak human but Cat, and something like flicking their tail sideways might mean "that's enough petting, just let me lie here purring and we'll be allright".
But since you (ignorantly) chose to ignore the warning, you got the swipe instead.

I bet there are web-sites explaining these things, just like there are "dog-whisperer" programs on TV telling you how to straighten your dog out. It's a matter of learning to read the signs, and how to communicate to your cat, and you've got a chance of less shredding.

But what do I know about pets? All I managed to do was to learn my aquarium fish to do back-strokes...

I'm fairly good at reading cat and dog body language, and I saw no warnings that Toshiko was tired of being petted. Indeed, since she regularly attacks literally anything that moves, I suspect Toshiko noticed that the only moving things nearby, aside from my petting hand, were my eyes. I've seen a cow-fly and a horse-fly. Now I've also seen a kitten fly.

Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2010 :  10:15:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't look for signs and really don't know the signs. As a personal rule our cats get only 10 seconds of ear scratching from me before I move on.

ETA: Oh yeah. Another rule I follow. I never pick a cat up.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Edited by - moakley on 10/25/2010 11:34:10
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.