Big Business funding politicians against Climate
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2010 :  07:23:01  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
BP and big European polluters contribute money to political candidates in US Midterm. Politicians who deny Man Made Climate Change, and work against taking action.

These included incumbents who have been embraced by the Tea Party such as Jim DeMint, a Republican from South Carolina, and the notorious climate change denier James Inhofe, a Republican from Oklahoma.

Source: Care2.com

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2010 :  08:00:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

BP and big European polluters contribute money to political candidates in US Midterm. Politicians who deny Man Made Climate Change, and work against taking action.

These included incumbents who have been embraced by the Tea Party such as Jim DeMint, a Republican from South Carolina, and the notorious climate change denier James Inhofe, a Republican from Oklahoma.

Source: Care2.com
Yep. That and a whole lot of money funding mostly Republican candidates and we aren't entitled to know the source of the money. It's a disgrace.

Secret campaign money

Supreme Court's Citizens United Decision Will Warp Policymaking

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2010 :  08:07:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's obscene. It's hard for me to conceive that foreign polluters are allowed to pour money int the election funds of America's anti-science Radical Right. But that just shows how poorly I've been following US events. After all, American corporations are now treated as though they were "persons" with First Amendment rights, so why not foreign conglomerates as well? Why not foreign governments, too? Now US politicians boldly sell themselves on a global auction block.

Whatever these greedy, god-haunted, reactionary politicians believe, I do not think for a moment that those who run these corporations doubt AGW for a moment. They are playing for time, simply saving billions by delaying for as long as possible the expensive changes they will eventually have to make to their businesses. This is the foulest kind of self-interested cynicism and corruption. Perhaps that cynicism could be cured by requiring all such corporate people to live and remain at all times within a meter of the present sea level.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

podcat
Skeptic Friend

435 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2010 :  09:04:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send podcat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's a report from Alternet with a cool graphic illustrating the players in the Tea Party game.

http://www.alternet.org/media/148598/tea_party_inc.:_the_big_money_and_powerful_elites_behind_the_right-wing%27s_latest_uprising?page=entire

“In a modern...society, everybody has the absolute right to believe whatever they damn well please, but they don't have the same right to be taken seriously”.

-Barry Williams, co-founder, Australian Skeptics
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2010 :  12:10:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What the world needs are more environment friendly crazies with sniper rifles who can teach these corporations that they have stepped over the line.

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2010 :  12:16:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What the Tea-baggers don't realize is that <whisper>Muslims</whisper> could be secretly funding their favourite candidate.

Edited to add:
Just in case anyone missed it:
This post was supposed to be sarcastic.

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

Collateralmurder.
Edited by - Dr. Mabuse on 10/26/2010 12:17:15
Go to Top of Page

podcat
Skeptic Friend

435 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2010 :  20:28:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send podcat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry, Doc, I don't agree. I don't think violence is the solution, no matter which side brings it.

“In a modern...society, everybody has the absolute right to believe whatever they damn well please, but they don't have the same right to be taken seriously”.

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2010 :  07:25:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by podcat

Sorry, Doc, I don't agree. I don't think violence is the solution, no matter which side brings it.
What other way is there? Big Business has hijacked your government and your Democracy. The little man is all but powerless against it, when it employs both media and law-enforcement to do its bidding. Hell, I wouldn't even call it a democracy when half of the population are too apathetic to even get their ass to the polling station.
Working within the system obviously isn't working anymore, and shit-heads like the Tea Baggers can get away with beating up people.

My wish to see someone do something is an expression of my frustration, because things are heading toward the darkest pits of hell and not enough people are reacting to rectify it.

The thing is, someone likened the world with a circus, and USA is the elephant. The elephant has been crapping all over the centre circle for quite a while now, everybody notices and it stinks to high heaven. But as long as the elephant decides to stay in the middle, the rest of us can't do anything about except hope that another elephant maybe called China or India will step in and push USA out.
USA hasn't been a guiding light for democracy for a long while, and shit exposed like the article in the beginning, and Wiki Leaks about American soldiers murdering civilians, just reinforce my belief that the world will be better off if USA fades away sooner rather than later. Embracing a Creationist science curricula in American schools isn't an option either. It takes too long to breed a science-illiterate population large and illiterate enough for the economy to collapse; we need at least two generations for that.

Obama was a glimmer of hope, but it looks to me now that he was only bullshitting. The investigation into illegal wiretaps on citizens were blocked, he's not applying enough pressure on Israel to stop them committing crimes against humanity, American soldiers are still murdering civilians in the Middle East, and Guantanamo base is still open.

I'm disappointed to say the least. And frustrated. And I'm digressing.

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

podcat
Skeptic Friend

435 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2010 :  21:34:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send podcat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I understand the frustration. Believe me, I and others in the US are just as frustrated. I think we have to promote reason, rather than advocating that people solve their problems through violence. To me, that makes them as morally wrong as the people they disagree with.

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2010 :  11:58:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by podcat
To me, that makes them as morally wrong as the people they disagree with.

That's why I suggested crazies could take care of the not-as-moral-or-ethical actions, while rational people can continue pushing the boulder up-hill.

Something drastic is needed to restore at least some semblance of balance.
By Scandinavian standards, Obama is still right of center politically speaking, and repubs are far out to sea. Tea Partiers are fringe that might as well belong in an asylum for the insane.
By European standards, Obama is probably considered just left of center, which only prove how skewed the American political spectrum is.

Believe me, I and others in the US are just as frustrated. I think we have to promote reason, rather than advocating that people solve their problems through violence.

With Big Money corporations having such a tight grasp of the balls of the political and judicial institutions (including the supreme court fallating corporations) how do you propose to do this promotion? Given slowness of change toward rationality among the uneducated population, and the forces working against rationality, when do you think you can claim victory (as in 50+% accepting evolution, or the "Citizen United vs FEC" reversed)? 4 more years? A decade? A century?

Things are currently moving in the wrong direction, and it looks to me like it's gaining momentum. And it scares the shit out of me.

But now at least, there's a possibility for the EU spending a few tens of billions Euros on political campaigning on "center" politicians in USA. I'd love to see that and watch Scalia, Ailito, and the other criminals on the bench crying foul...

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.