Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2010 :  19:43:02  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Today the US proves we are populated by a bunch of fucking retards.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2010 :  22:40:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, Virginia has definitely lost three Democratic House seats, and maybe four. I believe these were all seats surprisingly turned blue during the 2008 elections, so these losses may just represent regression to the mean rather than a stunning upset.

Virginia didn't switch any Senate seats, because there were no Senate seats up for election in Virginia this year.

On the upside, O'Donnell lost by 16 points.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2010 :  23:04:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And palladino lost by 25, and Reed won by 5.

It still doesn't change the fact that the house is now republican and a bunch of the new ones are very seriously fucking retarded. Bachman level retarded.

My point here is just to say that the US is filled with stupid people if we so quickly grant power to people who deny reality. I didn't stay home today like I had originally intended, but my state (FL) is pretty seriously fucking retarded today.

I'll retract ot tone that down if FL elects a dem gov. But if both FL and OH have GOP govs for the next election cycle.... we are goiing to regret it in a big way.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2010 :  04:48:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have thought and written that the Teabagger/GOP tie-up was going to be fatal to the Republican Party.

I was wrong. (Maybe in some Long Term I'll be right, but there's sure no "maybe" about my being wrong for now.)

With an increasingly paranoid electorate, a House GOP majority, a slim Democratic majority in the Senate, and the first African-American President, it's now a new game. The whole of the policy of the now more thoroughly fascist GOP for the next two years and perhaps longer will be to sabotage the US Federal government, no matter what damage that causes. Gridlock will rule. Congressional budget bills will become next to impossible to pass. Look for even more openly anti-Gay and anti-immigrant statements from the Religious Right, in their new role as populist elected Teabaggers. This will, of course, encourage racist and homophobic attacks and murders.

I, too, am ashamed of many of my fellow countrymen, Dude.

Yet this, too, will likely pass, so long as there's not a coup d'état. There was one thing about this midterm election that actually gave me a warm-and-fuzzy feeling. Several of the batshit craziest Teabaggers got their asses handed to them by their opponents. So, to some degree at least, the electorate can still detect dangerous extremists. (Of course, in the most batshit crazy states and districts, this observation doesn't apply.)

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Fripp
SFN Regular

USA
727 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2010 :  06:02:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Fripp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I blame this as much on the Dems as anybody else. They acted like timid little cowards and allowed the fucksticks to frame the argument. In a relatively moderate state like mine, Pennsylvania, for every one ad from or for Sestak, I must have heard five against Sestak, spewing out-and-out lies and labelling former-Navy-admiral Sestak as a "far left liberal". I mean, really, P.T. Barnum was correct when he said (perhaps apocryphally) that "no one ever went broke underestimating the stupidity of the American public".

Under 8 years of Bush, we went from surplus to record-high deficit; this financial meltdown has probably been brewing much longer; but everyone thinks that everything will be fixed in 2 years?!?!

Amazingly, Pat Buchanan (yes, THAT Pat Buchanan) had some good points this morning. First, he said that this reminds him of 1965 during the Johnson admin that everyone who voted in the Civil Rights Act (I might be wrong on the precise legislation... the tube was on in the background) was sweeped out in the very next election. Second, Pat has no idea how the Repubs are going to follow through on their promises to "cut taxes" when the the deficit as high as it is.

It's worth repeating that the current deficit started and grew to historic highs during the Bush years. Obama certainly added to it, but Bush made it and the Repubs need to own up to it.

Bottom line, voters voted for soundbites, not reality. Case in point: MSNBC had Marsha Blackburn from Tenn on. She stated that they (the Repubs) were going to cut the budget by trimming discretionary spending "across the board" -- her words exactly. Chris Matthews asked, "well military spending is discretionary, are you going to cut that?" She said No, after an awkward pause. So Maddow jumps in and asks her directly, "just to be clear, do you believe that military spending is discretionary spending?"

Blackburn replies "No."

She also would NOT commit to making cuts to Social Security and Medicare; of course doing so would be political suicide.

So now, using Blackburn's words, we're only talking about maybe 8 percent of the federal budget. Sorry folks, but "cuts" on 8 percent of the budget doesn't even represent pennies on the dollar of the deficit. It's lip service for a serious issue.

This is going to be hilarious watching Tea Party morons utterly FAIL for the next two years. No excuses now.

"What the hell is an Aluminum Falcon?"

"Oh, I'm sorry. I thought my Dark Lord of the Sith could protect a small thermal exhaust port that's only 2-meters wide! That thing wasn't even fully paid off yet! You have any idea what this is going to do to my credit?!?!"

"What? Oh, oh, 'just rebuild it'? Oh, real [bleep]ing original. And who's gonna give me a loan, jackhole? You? You got an ATM on that torso LiteBrite?"
Go to Top of Page

Fripp
SFN Regular

USA
727 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2010 :  06:19:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Fripp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner
There was one thing about this midterm election that actually gave me a warm-and-fuzzy feeling. Several of the batshit craziest Teabaggers got their asses handed to them by their opponents. So, to some degree at least, the electorate can still detect dangerous extremists. (Of course, in the most batshit crazy states and districts, this observation doesn't apply.)

Mooner, at least you're in PI. Get your popcorn out. It's going to be funny, in an incredibly sad way.

I consider Rand Paul to be a batshit moron as well, but really, let's look at this in reality: Kentucky elected a right-wing idiot? I'm ASTONISHED!! ASTONISHED, I tell you

While I'm not trying to put a positive spin on this; but most, if not every, midterm election from the 1930's to present day has had a party turn-over. And for the last three presidents in a row, control of at least one house of Congress has flipped parties.

If the right-wingers think they can fix the current economic problems, then have at it. We've seen how this movie ends time and time again.

But I'm not happy and there is no reason why this happened except for Democratic incompetence. I wish the Dems would grow a sack and call the right wingers for the shitheads they are. The Dems need to take lessons in public "civility" from the Rude Pundit.

"Oh, I'm sorry. I thought my Dark Lord of the Sith could protect a small thermal exhaust port that's only 2-meters wide! That thing wasn't even fully paid off yet! You have any idea what this is going to do to my credit?!?!"

"What? Oh, oh, 'just rebuild it'? Oh, real [bleep]ing original. And who's gonna give me a loan, jackhole? You? You got an ATM on that torso LiteBrite?"
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2010 :  06:38:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am so fed up with the current political atmosphere that, hey, fuckit, I said I ain't gonna bother to vote. I mean, for what? To get exactly what we seem to have gotten: cheap, corporate-owned thugs on the one hand and sniveling, little candyass' on the other? Scarcely worth my time.

So, I took off to Snow Camp to visit with River Otter After leaving the house, it occurred to me that the polls were open and not all that far out of the way. So, out of force of habit as much as anything else, I wasted the time and voted. And now I hate myself.

The long and short of it is that Congress has been nothing but a partisan pain in the ass ever since Clinton, and now it's gonna get worse. The up-side, if there is such, is that perhaps the electorate will finally wise up. I rather doubt this, but we all love a good fantasy, don't we?

I've gotta get up with my friend Sonny. In '12, I'm voting for him and myself, and we need to figure out who is to be prez & who is to be vice prez. Me, I like vice.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Fripp
SFN Regular

USA
727 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2010 :  06:43:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Fripp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy
The up-side, if there is such, is that perhaps the electorate will finally wise up.

That's the funniest thing I've heard in months. Pass me whatever you're taking...

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2010 :  07:51:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Fripp

The up-side, if there is such, is that perhaps the electorate will finally wise up.

That's the funniest thing I've heard in months. Pass me whatever you're taking...
Logical fallacy: Quote mining.
The up-side, if there is such, is that perhaps the electorate will finally wise up. I rather doubt this, but we all love a good fantasy, don't we?

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2010 :  08:25:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Me? I'm in Canada. Not as bad. Not great, but not as bad as what seems to be going on down your way.

On a side note: PZ Myers is not impressed either.

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.
Edited by - the_ignored on 11/03/2010 08:26:41
Go to Top of Page

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2010 :  08:27:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message  Reply with Quote

It's worth repeating that the current deficit started and grew to historic highs during the Bush years. Obama certainly added to it, but Bush made it and the Repubs need to own up to it.
Tea party people do acknowledge this as well as many republicans. And by the way, didn’t the dems control congress the last two years of Bush’s presidency and did nothing to stop the spending? The fact is all are to blame. The republicans say they want to curb spending and reduce the deficit. We will see how they do. But for now let’s stop talking how Bush increased the deficit and concentrate on how Obama is breaking Bush's deficit records. Why do you blame Bush's for the deficit but have no condemnation for Obama's deficits?

I would worry more about this:
http://news.in.msn.com/national/article.aspx?cp-documentid=4533799
than how much money Bush spent.

This is going to be hilarious watching Tea Party morons utterly FAIL for the next two years. No excuses now.
I think what most Americans want is a functioning government. We are sick of the partisanship in Washington. Obama was to be the transparent president that was going to unify the country. What the hell happened? No transparency, no working with the republicans at all for the last two years and he constantly insulted republicans. It drives me crazy when both parties use terms such as Nazis, morons, tea baggers, communists etc. It is time for both parties to grow up and compromise on common ground. If the new congress can’t do it then let’s throw them out as well in two years. We wouldn’t have this much of a problem if the 17th amendment was never ratified (in my opinion).

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. - George Washington
Go to Top of Page

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2010 :  09:10:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dude

Today the US proves we are populated by a bunch of fucking retards.

What exactly is it that makes everyone retards? The fact that (in my state anyway) that the Democratic candidates seemed to have no clear vision and no plan? Are we retards because it is completely impossible to be able to tell what each candidate was proposing to solve our problems? Are we retards because we have been assaulted the past month with nothing but the candidates on both sides concentrating more on calling each other names than actually saying anything of substance?
Exactly what is it that makes us retarded? You are using the same strategy as the candidates in this election.

It's really easy to sit behind a computer and call people names. Give me some sort of fucking substance to back up your name calling.

Haole with heart, thats all I'll ever be. I'm not a part of the North Shore society. Stuck on the shoulder, that's where you'll find me. Digging for scraps with the kooks in line. -Offspring
Go to Top of Page

Fripp
SFN Regular

USA
727 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2010 :  09:14:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Fripp a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Logical fallacy: Quote mining.
The up-side, if there is such, is that perhaps the electorate will finally wise up. I rather doubt this, but we all love a good fantasy, don't we?

I know. Just trying to find some humor in the situation.

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2010 :  09:27:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mooner:
I have thought and written that the Teabagger/GOP tie-up was going to be fatal to the Republican Party.

Not fatal. But lets face it. The Republicans would probably have taken the Senate too if not for the Tea Party. Delaware was a gift and Sharron Angle managed to piss off most of the hispanic voters in Nevada. Yeah, a Republican won in Alaska. But she was a write in. Do you know how often that's happened? That's how much the mainstream Republicans didn't like the Tea Party (Republican) candidate. So no. It wasn't fatal, but as a party, they would have done better without them.

Also, my thinking is that by taking the house, they must get shit done. And they can't get anything done as the party of "no" or without making compromises with the president and the senate. When Clinton was faced with BOTH houses changing over, it pushed him to the center, but shit got done. It would be political suicide for the Republicans to just send up bills for Obama to veto. They can't run and they can't hide behind their rhetoric anymore. It was a successful strategy, but now that they have ownership of the house, they can't do that anymore. They have to put up.

And yeah. Much of their rhetoric was just that. They need jobs created on their watch, so they can't go blocking jobs bills as they have been doing. They also can't lower taxes with such high deficits unless they are targeted in a way that will create jobs. Like the jobs bill that they tried to block of Obama's. That won't work for them anymore.

The down side is the economy would probably have improved without their asses owning the House. They will benefit politically from the wheels that the dems put in motion. The perception may very will be that Republicans got voted in, and the economy got better, ergo, Republicans are good for the economy. Many of the voters can't remember yesterday...

While there were failings, Obama got a lot done during the last 18 months. The most since Lyndon Johnson in his first two years in office. The democrats failed to get that message out. Many Americans think he raised their taxes. But no. He lowered them on the middle class and the poor. The Democrats failed to show what they accomplished. Only a part of that was healthcare reform, which as we all know could have been much better. But there were other major accomplishments that seem to be under everyones radar. Pity...

I'm not happy with these elections, but anyone can tell you that if jobs are scarce those in power will pay. It doesn't even matter if the opposition has a plan, let alone a better plan.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Fripp
SFN Regular

USA
727 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2010 :  09:47:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Fripp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's going to be a busy day at work for me, so I won't have time to go back and forth on this, but I'll try to address some of these points quickly

Originally posted by Robb
Tea party people do acknowledge this as well as many republicans. And by the way, didn’t the dems control congress the last two years of Bush’s presidency and did nothing to stop the spending? The republicans say they want to curb spending and reduce the deficit.

The repubs had six years under Bush and allowed a surplus to grow into mile-high deficit. But now they (repubs) "want to curb spending and reduce the deficit"? Please. Give me a break. They're only being political opportunists. Dick Armey, Boehner, Cantor are now born-again "deficit hawks" after how many years in office? That's rich. BTW, I know Armey's no longer in office, but he's working hard as a lobbyist.

But for now let’s stop talking how Bush increased the deficit and concentrate on how Obama is breaking Bush's deficit records. Why do you blame Bush's for the deficit but have no condemnation for Obama's deficits?

No, Bush does not get a pass. Yesterday's vote was a result of a grossly misinformed populace being told that Obama caused this entire deficit.

The economy collapsed on Bush's watch. The bank bailout? Bush's watch. I don't remember when the stimulus started etc., but people wanted the government to fix the dying economy, they wanted the government to somehow bring jobs back, they wanted the government to fix the BP oil spill, but they don't like the soaring deficit? You can't have your cake and eat it too.

I would worry more about this:
http://news.in.msn.com/national/article.aspx?cp-documentid=4533799
than how much money Bush spent.

Until I hear otherwise, I am highly skeptical about this. Frankly, that sounds like more bogus propaganda similar to the woman who was forced to resign when a highly-edited speech was released that made it appear that she was racist to a white farmer applying for a loan years back.

We are sick of the partisanship in Washington. Obama was to be the transparent president that was going to unify the country.

no working with the republicans at all for the last two years

Bull. The repubs REFUSED to work with Obama. PERIOD. Any repub who even gave a sniff of cooperation with BO got a serious repuke from their party.

and he constantly insulted republicans.

Quotes with sources, please.

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2010 :  09:56:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Robb:
What the hell happened? No transparency, no working with the republicans at all for the last two years and he constantly insulted republicans.

Oh please. The Republicans so obviously had a strategy of blocking everything the president and congress put up. One of Obama's failings is that he tried too hard for a few Republican votes. He would make the compromise, the Senate would add Republican amendments to bills, and then the Republicans would vote against the very bill that they amended. Check it out. They broke every record for filibusters.

Republican Obstruction at Work

They claim that they weren't consulted. That's a lie. Obama courted them endlessly. The Senate courted them endlessly. So much so that I thought they had lost their minds. We would have gotten a decent health care bill if it weren't for trying to get some Republicans to sign on the a Republican bill. Just about every provision in that package was first brought up by a Republican. What did they do? They filibustered it. Same for the jobs bill. Same for just about every bill the House and Senate tried to pass.

Open your eyes, Robb. It was a strategy. A Republican strategy to obstruct. And it worked. Stop watching Fox News. They are lying to you. It was the Republicans who refused to work with the Demarcates in order to win in this election cycle. Because success by the Dems would mean popularity. And they were having none of that. So not for the good of the country, but for their own political future, they blocked as many things as they could block.

What planet have you been viewing this from? They blocked bills that were their idea!!! Fox is toxic to thinking. Honest. Fox will make you stupid. Stand back and look at the last 18 months without Fox telling you what to make of it!!!

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.36 seconds.