Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2010 :  06:59:02  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There can be no other possible explanation for this bullshit.

"Jamie and Gladys Scott, often referred to as the Scott Sisters, have been incarcerated in Mississippi since 1994. They are serving double life sentences in prison for their alleged involvement in a robbery in which $11 was stolen and no one was injured. Neither sister had a previous criminal record."

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Baculum's page: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3947338590

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2010 :  09:59:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm confused about this. From what I gather, these sisters and a few others robbed a person, and there were no injuries in the robbery. And because of this, life sentences are handed down?
Go to Top of Page

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2010 :  20:11:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote

According to some, there is even reasonable doubt that they did it at all. I feel that the judge probably would have arranged a lynching if he thought he could get away with it.

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Go to Top of Page

Powerwise
Troll

12 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2010 :  21:54:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Powerwise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd have made it a triple life sentence.
Go to Top of Page

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2010 :  22:19:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Powerwise

Get back to your dank lair under the bridge.

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2010 :  03:50:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Powerwise

No you wouldn't. You can't seem to write more than one sentence at a time, so triple anything appears pretty much of a stretch.

Why are you here, Powerwise? Are you hoping to learn and/or instruct, or just become a minor irritant?

Rat, this is Mississippi. The Klan is alive and well in MS.

It's the poorest state in the nation and has a corrupt governor that is a known racist. Worse yet, or better yet according to your point of view, I've read that Barbour is making noises about running for prez.

The best thing about the state is a rib house near Pascagoula, but that's very good indeed.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2010 :  08:22:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Those poor robbers!

Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2010 :  11:23:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by On fire for Christ

Those poor robbers!
So you see only the sin and not the person? Jesus would be so proud.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2010 :  14:30:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Cuneiformist

I'm confused about this. From what I gather, these sisters and a few others robbed a person, and there were no injuries in the robbery. And because of this, life sentences are handed down?
I agree the sentence is excessive, from what I gather first time convictions of armed robbery is around 15 years. Some states have max life sentences but rarely for first time offenders.

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. - George Washington
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2010 :  21:10:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Yeah kind of like how you see only my religion.

Go to Top of Page

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2011 :  15:38:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote

YES!!! They've been released!

Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2011 :  09:21:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I think you are mistaken OFFC. I think the majority of us see your religion as ranging from stupid to outright evil (depending on the particular sub-brand) and we think the people (you) are everything from suckers to crime lords. Mostly just suckers, and we kinda feel bad for you.

Sure, we are often harsh, but when you (not you specifically, you in the plural sense of religious people) start doing the work of your crime bosses, pushing religion, making obviously false assertions, acting offended when your statements are questioned... it's fucking difficult to be nice to you.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

podcat
Skeptic Friend

435 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2011 :  12:59:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send podcat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by The Rat

YES!!! They've been released!

At the risk of being a killjoy, there's a catch. From that op-ed column:

I was happy for the Scott sisters and deeply moved as Gladys spoke of how desperately she wanted to “just hold” her two children and her mother, who live in Florida. But I couldn’t help thinking that right up until the present moment she and Jamie have been treated coldly and disrespectfully by the governor and other state officials. It’s as if the authorities have found it impossible to hide their disdain, their contempt, for the two women.

The prison terms were suspended — not commuted — on the condition that Gladys donate a kidney to Jamie, who is seriously ill with diabetes and high blood pressure and receives dialysis at least three times a week. Gladys had long expressed a desire to donate a kidney to her sister, but to make that a condition of her release was unnecessary, mean-spirited, inhumane and potentially coercive. It was a low thing to do.

Governor Barbour did not offer any expression of concern for Jamie’s health in his statement announcing the sentence suspension.

He said of the sisters: “Their incarceration is no longer necessary for public safety or rehabilitation, and Jamie Scott’s medical condition creates a substantial cost to the state of Mississippi.”

By all means, get those medical costs off the books if you can.

I asked Gladys how she had learned that she was to be released. “Oh, I saw it while I was looking at the news on television,” she said.

The authorities hadn’t bothered to even tell the sisters. After all, who are they? As Gladys put it, “Nobody told me a thing.”

“In a modern...society, everybody has the absolute right to believe whatever they damn well please, but they don't have the same right to be taken seriously”.

-Barry Williams, co-founder, Australian Skeptics
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2011 :  14:30:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Being as how the state is MS, with the highest percentage of black people in the country, and being as how Gov. Barbour is a corrupt, Republican scumnbag, and being as how, well, whathehellever else, I have a question: What sort of a sentence would Gladys and Jamie have gotten if they were white?

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2011 :  22:46:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, kind of how you don't want anyone to see anything but your religion. It's in your overly pious screen name, your gruesome and ridiculously hilarious avatar, your blatantly religious quotes. Your entire identity is religion. It defines you.

But unfortunately none of it casts you in a good light. Religion's value, if it has any at all, lies in the way it encourages individuals to be better human beings. To judge less and help more. It's easy to sit back and judge. It isn't easy to walk amongst the sick and lame and actually give a shit. I was raised Catholic. I know how Jesus felt about the false Pharisees who acted pious but refused to get their hands dirty or help anyone in need. I know how he felt about hypocrites.

So while I may be an atheist now, I know what Christ taught. And it certainly wasn't to gloat over a pair of sisters who unfairly received life sentences for a petty crime.

edited for over-the-top language

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 01/03/2011 12:42:09
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2011 :  23:00:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sigh...

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.