Exactly how does this change evolution?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2010 :  16:40:34  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hate headlines. Ancient Teeth May 'Change Whole Picture of Evolution'

It might change migration theories but does this really chage the whole picture of evolution?

Fucking meatheaded journalists!

Haole with heart, thats all I'll ever be. I'm not a part of the North Shore society. Stuck on the shoulder, that's where you'll find me. Digging for scraps with the kooks in line. -Offspring

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2010 :  17:20:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Ebone4rock

I hate headlines. Ancient Teeth May 'Change Whole Picture of Evolution'

It might change migration theories but does this really chage the whole picture of evolution?

Fucking meatheaded journalists!
It doesn't. It might change some dates around at best. But I must raise a doubt on the dating. As it was from an archaeological site, it could well be a much younger tooth; even a relatively modern one. Those people moved around a lot and sites were reused. The article said nothing about what matrix, if any, it was found in.

Or *shrug* a latter-day Nebraska Man, mayhap? I think it best to wait for a real paper from a peer reviewed journal to come out on it.

I also note that the article is from FOX, which casts doubt on anything right from the git-go.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2010 :  17:33:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Headline writers have been the bane of scientists since Archimedes.

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Baculum's page: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3947338590
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2010 :  05:58:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now, here's the rest of the story:
JERUSALEM — Israeli archaeologists say they may have found the earliest evidence yet for the existence of modern humans.

A Tel Aviv University team excavating a cave in central Israel said Monday they found teeth that were about 400,000 years old. The earliest Homo sapiens remains found until now are half that old, and were discovered in Ethiopia.

Archaeologist Avi Gopher said on Monday that further research is needed to solidify the claim, which is detailed in the December edition of the American Journal of Physical Anthropology. If the claim is borne out, the discovery would change "the whole picture of evolution," he said.

And then:
Other artifacts found in the cave — including flint blades as well as animal bones that appeared to be cut in a characteristic way — led the researchers to conclude that modern humans lived in the cave. Radioisotope dating suggests that the cave was occupied between 400,000 and 200,000 years ago.

This is quite an interesting find and I look forward to more info on it.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2010 :  12:23:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

This is quite an interesting find and I look forward to more info on it.

We'll see. From the same article:
Sir Paul Mellars, a prehistory expert at Cambridge University, said that the find is "important," but that it was premature to say the remains are from modern humans. He said the teeth are more likely from ancient relatives of Homo sapiens, such as the Neanderthals or their ancestors, which are thought to have left Africa hundreds of thousands of years ago.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2010 :  02:16:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by The Rat

Yeah, this headline in the Syracuse Ancient Times especially ticked him off:

Local Philosopher Just Screwing Around

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2010 :  02:24:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
DARWIN WAS WRONG

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2010 :  02:59:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by On fire for Christ

DARWIN WAS WRONG
About what?

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2010 :  03:13:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I see no good reasons why the views given in this volume should shock the religious feelings of anyone. – Darwin, The Origin of Species, 1859

Well that for a start.

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2010 :  03:32:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by On fire for Christ

I see no good reasons why the views given in this volume should shock the religious feelings of anyone. – Darwin, The Origin of Species, 1859

Well that for a start.
He said he could see no good reason, not that it wouldn't happen. There's a difference, you know. Darwin knew his theory would not please everyone.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2010 :  09:06:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Darwin was wrong" was a headline in an old issue of New Scientist.

METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL
It's a small, off-duty czechoslovakian traffic warden!
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2010 :  10:41:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm glad it wasn't wasted on everyone

Go to Top of Page

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2010 :  11:50:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

Originally posted by The Rat

Yeah, this headline in the Syracuse Ancient Times especially ticked him off:

Local Philosopher Just Screwing Around

HalfMooner for the win!

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Baculum's page: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3947338590
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2010 :  12:30:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Hawks

Not that old. Yeah, they went for a flashy headline that they knew wasn't true. And they got slapped down for it by by Daniel Dennett, Jerry Coyne, Richard Dawkins, and PZ Myers in the next issue.

Darwin was right

What on earth were you thinking when you produced a garish cover proclaiming that "Darwin was wrong" (24 January)?

First, it's false, and second, it's inflammatory. And, as you surely know, many readers will interpret the cover not as being about Darwin, the historical figure, but about evolution.

Nothing in the article showed that the concept of the tree of life is unsound; only that it is more complicated than was realised before the advent of molecular genetics. It is still true that all of life arose from "a few forms or... one", as Darwin concluded in The Origin of Species. It is still true that it diversified by descent with modification via natural selection and other factors.

Of course there's a tree; it's just more of a banyan than an oak at its single-celled-organism base...

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

podcat
Skeptic Friend

435 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2010 :  13:12:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send podcat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
About as old would be headlines declaring something to the effect of "Scientific Find Changes Evolution!"

“In a modern...society, everybody has the absolute right to believe whatever they damn well please, but they don't have the same right to be taken seriously”.

-Barry Williams, co-founder, Australian Skeptics
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2010 :  13:54:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Hawks

"Was Darwin Wrong?" was a headline in National Geographic.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds.