Doritos and Pepsi: the flesh and blood of Christ
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2011 :  08:40:04  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, this is rich! Seems that an ad company submitted a commercial that showed a priest dishing out snack chips as the eucharist and having his flock wash them down with soda pop. Needless to say, it went over like an anchor and (speculation) likely has caused spontainous blood pressure explosions throughout the entire Catholic League.
Step aside Tim Tebow. The evangelical quarterback's pro-family ad was last year's Super Bowl ad dust up. In 2011, the hot spot is an entry in the annual Pepsi-owned Doritos Crash the Super Bowl ad contest that will never air for being over-the-top offensive to people who take Communion seriously. It plays the bread and wine for snack food.

But the body and blood of Christ are no joke to those who believe they are in Communion with their God when they accept the Eucharist and the wine during Mass.

Hence the uproar among some believers when they saw one of the 5,000+ entries in the annual competition for a slot in the Super Bowl ad line up.

Feed the Flock begins with a priest (maybe Catholic, maybe Anglican or Episcopal) at his desk surrounded by bills for the parish, which clearly needs more income in the collection plate (why else show the stack of bills?).

Since it's his job to offer spiritual food to the flock, he takes it to another level (the pits, I'd say). The video shows the faithful lining up for Communion and getting Doritos (in two flavors, no less) instead of the wafer (which Catholics believe is the body of Christ and others see as symbolic of Christ). And, you guessed it, the wine, considered by Catholics to be the blood of Christ, is dished out as Pepsi MAX.

Well, from a secular viewpoint, it's better than the usual crackers and plonk.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 01/08/2011 08:42:16

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2011 :  12:49:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was raised as a Catholic and that is NOT a takeoff of any Catholic happening I've ever partook in. During Mass, only the Priest drinks the wine. From what I have witnessed, Catholic Mass attendees never drink anything during Mass. Wine, Pepsi or anything else. They do consume a wafer (swallowed whole, never chewed), near the end of the service, which is claimed to have been changed into the body of Christ. Being given wine is not a Catholic activity I've ever been apart of or seen done. I see no reason why Catholics would be offended by a altered depiction of what is clearly not what they do. Those saying "Catholics are offended" are not themselves Catholic. Evangelicans might be offened by the ad but I wouldn't know about that, not ever been one. SS

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

podcat
Skeptic Friend

435 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2011 :  21:29:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send podcat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought Glenn Beck had it right....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFAm4N50Ufg

“In a modern...society, everybody has the absolute right to believe whatever they damn well please, but they don't have the same right to be taken seriously”.

-Barry Williams, co-founder, Australian Skeptics
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2011 :  07:47:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by sailingsoul

I was raised as a Catholic and that is NOT a takeoff of any Catholic happening I've ever partook in. During Mass, only the Priest drinks the wine.
The priest gets to choose which type of mass to celebrate, whether under "one species" (wafer alone) or "both species" (wafer and wine). On page 71, in sections 286 and 287, of this PDF, you'll find the instructions for passing out Communion wine.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2011 :  14:04:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, when I grew up Catholic, wine wasn't typically given out with communion. It was mostly reserved for "special" occasions like Christmas or Easter masses, I think mostly because it was a pain in the ass to distribute. When I was very young we attended Eastern Orthodox masses in which cubes of bread were soaked in wine and tipped into your mouth by the priest by means of a small spoon. So you got your bread and wine all in one shot.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2011 :  14:41:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My grandparents were Episcopalians. They'd take me to bread-and-wine masses when I was 12 or so. Because I was underage for alcohol, the priest would rub sand in my hair instead of giving me either bread or wine. It was weird. Maybe it was a New Jersey thing, ensuring that children would bathe at least once a week.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2011 :  15:01:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sand in your hair? That's really weird. Where did he get the sand? Did he just have a pocket full of the stuff? I've never heard of such a thing. You should try to find the origin and extent of that practice. Are you sure it wasn't palm ash rubbed on the forehead or something like that?

I forgot to add that in Catholic communion the priest dilutes the wine with water, so the stuff is pretty watered down (more so as the size of the crowd demands). As children we were allowed to take the wine so long as our parents approved, and I think almost all did. In Catholic school, the sacrament of Communion was taken in the 2nd grade and confirmation taken in 8th grade. The Eastern Orthodox church my family originally attended did things totally different. Confirmation took place during baptism and I don't remember ever not being allowed to take communion with wine, even before I was school-aged.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

Edited by - H. Humbert on 01/09/2011 15:06:49
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2011 :  15:59:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by H. Humbert

Sand in your hair? That's really weird. Where did he get the sand? Did he just have a pocket full of the stuff? I've never heard of such a thing. You should try to find the origin and extent of that practice.
Now that I've become frustrated with trying to Google it, I'm beginning to wonder if my grandparents were making it up. I'm sure of what they said, though - that it was sand in my hair - because every Sunday they dragged me to church I was given a bath as soon as we got back to their house because of the sand that was supposedly then in my hair.
Are you sure it wasn't palm ash rubbed on the forehead or something like that?
Positive. The priest only ever put his hand on top of my head, on my hair.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2011 :  17:38:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

The priest gets to choose which type of mass to celebrate, whether under "one species" (wafer alone) or "both species" (wafer and wine). On page 71, in sections 286 and 287, of this PDF, you'll find the instructions for passing out Communion wine.

Interesting, thanks. SS

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2011 :  08:14:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since the communion wine is substantiated into the blood of Christ and therefore shouldn't contain any alcohol, neither priests, parents, nor law-enforcement should have any problems letting children drink it.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Edited by - Dr. Mabuse on 01/10/2011 08:16:04
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2011 :  09:16:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

Since the communion wine is substantiated into the blood of Christ and therefore shouldn't contain any alcohol, neither priests, parents, nor law-enforcement should have any problems letting children drink it.
Didn't you know? Jesus is 180 proof.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2011 :  10:36:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Sand in your hair? That's really weird. Where did he get the sand? Did he just have a pocket full of the stuff? I've never heard of such a thing. You should try to find the origin and extent of that practice.
Now that I've become frustrated with trying to Google it, I'm beginning to wonder if my grandparents were making it up. I'm sure of what they said, though - that it was sand in my hair - because every Sunday they dragged me to church I was given a bath as soon as we got back to their house because of the sand that was supposedly then in my hair.
Are you sure it wasn't palm ash rubbed on the forehead or something like that?
Positive. The priest only ever put his hand on top of my head, on my hair.
Ok, then I think it just sounds like a simple laying on of hands blessing. I doubt sand ever came into it. Maybe Sundays after church were just bath time and maybe your grandparents said something about sand in your hair, but you were the one who wrongly made the connection with the priest who touched your head. In other words, maybe the two things were only related in your mind. But I'm obviously speculating. It's just a weird thing for a priest to do.

Go to Top of Page

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2011 :  11:13:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Yeah, when I grew up Catholic, wine wasn't typically given out with communion. It was mostly reserved for "special" occasions like Christmas or Easter masses, I think mostly because it was a pain in the ass to distribute. When I was very young we attended Eastern Orthodox masses in which cubes of bread were soaked in wine and tipped into your mouth by the priest by means of a small spoon. So you got your bread and wine all in one shot.

Hmmm....I've been to a number of Catholic masses and each one I attended everyone drank the wine out of the cup. Maybe it's a regional thing? Maybe it's because when I have attended the masses it was always for a baptism, a first communion, a wedding, or a funeral.

Haole with heart, thats all I'll ever be. I'm not a part of the North Shore society. Stuck on the shoulder, that's where you'll find me. Digging for scraps with the kooks in line. -Offspring
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2011 :  15:37:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Ok, then I think it just sounds like a simple laying on of hands blessing. I doubt sand ever came into it. Maybe Sundays after church were just bath time and maybe your grandparents said something about sand in your hair, but you were the one who wrongly made the connection with the priest who touched your head. In other words, maybe the two things were only related in your mind. But I'm obviously speculating. It's just a weird thing for a priest to do.
The "sand in your hair" thing came up multiple times (and got to be an "I don't want to go to church 'cause he'll put sand in my hair again" sort of thing). It may be weird, but then transubstantiation is weird. And these were Episcopalians... in New Jersey.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.