Ricky Gervais at the Golden Globes
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2011 :  01:18:33  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While unfortunately I didn't get to see any of tonight's telecast of the Golden Globes, I did read this article about the ceremony's host, and one of my favorite comedians, Ricky Gervais.

The article says he didn't pull many punches and may have offended some attendees, and then states this about the end of the night:
Like all the best comedy roastmasters, he struck a conciliatory tone: "Thanks to everyone in the room for being a good sport."

But, being Ricky Gervais, he seemingly couldn't stop himself putting a button on his performance that would practically guarantee that he'll never be invited back: "And thanks to God for making me an atheist."(bolding mine)
Another out and proud atheist!

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2011 :  13:12:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I only caught the very end of the production, and did catch his final comments. I thought it an odd thing to say, but only because it's just so uncommon to hear "famous" people talk about this in public.

Various other sources seem to confirm what your link noted: Gervais probably ruffled a few too many feathers. But I think that was his goal going in...
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2011 :  14:29:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Over at The Hollywood Gossip, there was a post about his night. In the comments section, though, someone commented:

Seriously, atheists are among the most despised groups in America.
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2011 :  14:40:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I read another post on some article where a commenter said Ricky's joke was "highly offensive." Offensive to whom? The joke is that he's acknowledging god for making him an atheist, therefore undermining his own expression of non-belief. It's a self-deprecating joke, I think, if anything.

It also touches on a point Ricky has often made to Christians in the past, namely that if there is a god, then he's responsible for making Ricky rational and unable to accept god's existence on faith. So blame god for the existence of atheists. And of course it plays on the all-too-common common display of celebrities thanking god for their talents and abilities.

I just don't see why a theist or Christian specifically could see anything offensive in any of this, unless as Cune says the offense caused is by atheists merely existing, or at least not having the decency to hide in shame.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2011 :  22:19:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by H. Humbert

...unless as Cune says the offense caused is by atheists merely existing, or at least not having the decency to hide in shame.

Yep, he nailed it.

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Baculum's page: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3947338590
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2011 :  00:45:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gervais is hilarious. He did sort of the same thing last year when he hosted this same award show, so I don't know why anyone is surprised or upset.... unless it was the atheist joke at the end?

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

podcat
Skeptic Friend

435 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2011 :  09:10:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send podcat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While it's not normally my brand of humor (to put it mildly), I give credit to Gervais for his conviction to do what he did, like Colbert did at the White House Correspondents' Dinner. I suspect that both don't care if they get invited back, either.

“In a modern...society, everybody has the absolute right to believe whatever they damn well please, but they don't have the same right to be taken seriously”.

-Barry Williams, co-founder, Australian Skeptics
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2011 :  10:31:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by The Rat

Originally posted by H. Humbert

...unless as Cune says the offense caused is by atheists merely existing, or at least not having the decency to hide in shame.

Yep, he nailed it.
Here's an older-- but no doubt still valid-- study saying as much.
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2011 :  15:22:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would be interested to hear thoughts on, why are atheists so vehemently hated by God loving theists? Really! To claim to love God so much and hate what he has created. I see it as shameful, to say the least. Why is this so? It's not like it's the exception but the rule from my experience. SS

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2011 :  16:12:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by sailingsoul

I would be interested to hear thoughts on, why are atheists so vehemently hated by God loving theists? Really! To claim to love God so much and hate what he has created. I see it as shameful, to say the least. Why is this so? It's not like it's the exception but the rule from my experience. SS

Humans seem to need an "out" group to compare themselves to in order to maintain self esteem. So theists can look down on those of us who don't share their stupidity and feel superior. The reverse probably holds true as well, atheists do tend to look down on believers. The difference, I think, is that atheists (as a group) tend to be more aware that this kind of thinking is counterproductive. Theists (as a group) seem to use it as a tool to keep people in the "in" group (you don't want to be one of those dirty atheists!)

Humans are tribal, and the whole in/out group thing is pretty well documented.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.