Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2011 :  22:05:57  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
It's been 2011 for a couple of weeks. What was your biggest New Year's resolution (and have you broken it yet)?

Choices:
Get into shape... again.
Go to a skeptical conference.
Work harder in school.
Get that promotion!
Spend more time with family.
Get involved with a political issue.
Resolutions are stupid.
I don't wait for the New Year to make resolutions.
Wait... what year is it?!
Other (please explain in a comment).

(Anonymous Vote)

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2011 :  23:27:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I suppose stopping smoking again counts as getting into shape again. It wasn't really a New Year resolution. Just something I need to do, so here I am doing it... again.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2011 :  05:33:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Less body mass means less wear on my replacement hip, which should result in a longer life span on the mechanics.

I just had a visit to my doctor after some serious pain I got from bowling. Everything checked out fine in x-ray so it was probably exhaustion of the soft-tissues. Going to need a lot more training before doing that again, but the doc said bowling shouldn't pose any danger to the hip-joint.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2011 :  10:24:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm working harder than ever. Or, I'm trying to. Time's running out on my postdoc and at some point soon, I'm going to be staring unemployment in the face. So it's imperative that real jobs come my way, and that's more likely with a better CV. So that's my focus this year...
Go to Top of Page

perrodetokio
Skeptic Friend

275 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2011 :  21:58:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send perrodetokio a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Getting into shape again and getting involved with a political issue. Also (this wasn't a choice in the survey, and maybe for a good reason =D ) getting both off my bands up from the ground and out of anonymousness and getting my life back together after my separation (I'm not divorced... yet)

"Yes I have a belief in a creator/God but do not know that he exists." Bill Scott

"They are still mosquitoes! They did not turn into whales or lizards or anything else. They are still mosquitoes!..." Bill Scott

"We should have millions of missing links or transition fossils showing a fish turning into a philosopher..." Bill Scott
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2011 :  11:10:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bump...

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2011 :  13:27:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My resolution is to make sure I give up all resolutions for Lent.

Haole with heart, thats all I'll ever be. I'm not a part of the North Shore society. Stuck on the shoulder, that's where you'll find me. Digging for scraps with the kooks in line. -Offspring
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2011 :  15:17:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Ebone4rock

That's coming up? Or not? I forget the whole Catholic calendar for such things...
Go to Top of Page

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2011 :  15:56:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Cuneiformist

That's coming up? Or not? I forget the whole Catholic calendar for such things...

Eh, It's late this year. I can always tell when it is Lent because the fat guy in the office next to me gets 3 or 4 Filet-O-Fishes for lunch instead of Big Macs.

Haole with heart, thats all I'll ever be. I'm not a part of the North Shore society. Stuck on the shoulder, that's where you'll find me. Digging for scraps with the kooks in line. -Offspring
Go to Top of Page

perrodetokio
Skeptic Friend

275 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2011 :  09:43:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send perrodetokio a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eh, It's late this year. I can always tell when it is Lent because the fat guy in the office next to me gets 3 or 4 Filet-O-Fishes for lunch instead of Big Macs.

Hahahahaha

Here in Argentina something very similar happens but in general. Itīs a fucking feast, but no cow-meat is eating. Hypocrites!

"Yes I have a belief in a creator/God but do not know that he exists." Bill Scott

"They are still mosquitoes! They did not turn into whales or lizards or anything else. They are still mosquitoes!..." Bill Scott

"We should have millions of missing links or transition fossils showing a fish turning into a philosopher..." Bill Scott
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2011 :  12:50:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why not cow-meat?

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2011 :  13:55:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I resolved to never impede the flow of the Mississippi River. It's the only resolution I have any chance of keeping and I've been making it for decades. I have yet to break it, but who knows what the situation might become during the balance of the year? These, after all, are evil times.

It's really kind of futile to make that one year after year, especallally since the death of Walt Kelly, but I do it anyway. It saves time and is never followed by feelings of failure and guilt.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 01/30/2011 13:58:37
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2011 :  16:05:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Get into 'better' shape so I don't die on vacation.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2011 :  15:36:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
filthy, that is a conscionable resolution indeed!

My rational side says to stop consuming alcohol. I made a plus and minus chart to help:

+stupid fun
+relaxation and stress relief
+shared experience (social drinking)
-calories (empty at that)
-expensive (especially at the pub)
-hangovers (missed work or not as productive)
-bad decisions and embarassments
-increased risk of Alzheimer's Disease (my father drank too much and died from Alzheimer's Disease)
-increased triglyceride levels (increased stroke risk and my dad had strokes)

So that rationally adds up to stop drinking. I could have "smart fun" but I do so love "stupid fun" and getting into fun arguments with mystics and pseudosciene folks at the pub over pints of fine microbew ale.
Go to Top of Page

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2011 :  16:00:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

Why not cow-meat?

Because god told the Catholics that it is a sin to eat cows on Friday during Lent. Fish are cool to eat on Friday.

This is why here in WI we have a tradition called "Friday Night Fish Fry!" You can go to the tavern and have all you can eat haddock for anywhere from $6.99 to $9.99!
Some good things come out of some of god's stupid rules.

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2011 :  17:19:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

Why not cow-meat?

Because god told the Catholics that it is a sin to eat cows on Friday during Lent. Fish are cool to eat on Friday.

This is why here in WI we have a tradition called "Friday Night Fish Fry!" You can go to the tavern and have all you can eat haddock for anywhere from $6.99 to $9.99!
Some good things come out of some of god's stupid rules.
In reality, the whole no-meat thing on Friday dates back to Noah and the Ark. The religious authorities of the day, knowing squat about biology, figured that when the rains & the fountains got going good, there would be more fish than anything else. Noah and his family were not allowed to serve up any of the cargo, so, it was opined, they ate fish. Lots of fish. For a year.

Now properly done, fish is an excellent food, but for a year? Nothing but fish prepared over the most primitive of cooking arrangements? That would drive anyone into the piscavorus pukes. So when the whole thing was finally over, nobody, freaking nobody!, wanted to even see another slimy, stinking fish even if it's a mermaid.

But the rules of the religion demanded that some sort of homage be paid the the Big Fat Flood and God's Apoplexy, so it was decided to mandate one day a week as the day to eat fish; nothing but fish. They designated Friday for it so the people would have the weekend to get over it.

Now there's a bit of history you won't find just any ol' where.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.