Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2011 :  08:05:33  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Dave. How's your wife? Have you heard from her?

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2011 :  08:14:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Liz is fine, thanks.

She said she was outside when the quake struck, and so she spent some time contemplating how tall the skyscrapers are as they were shaken around.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2011 :  08:27:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Outside isn't the place to be if you can help it. That's the book here in Los Angeles. Power lines and glass breaking and so on... Climb under a table they say.

But yeah. I just saw her posts on facebook. Glad to hear she's okay.

It's very bad up north. That tsunami was just horrible. The film is amazing and scary. Just a monster.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2011 :  09:00:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All of it is amazing and scary. I just wish I'd been more awake when I spoke with Liz this morning. She obviously wasn't too freaked out by the earthquake, since she waited four hours before calling me and waking me up.

(We can make this thread public, by the way.)

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2011 :  09:45:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

All of it is amazing and scary. I just wish I'd been more awake when I spoke with Liz this morning. She obviously wasn't too freaked out by the earthquake, since she waited four hours before calling me and waking me up.

(We can make this thread public, by the way.)
I didn't want to make this public until I knew that she was okay.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2011 :  11:30:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kil and Dave.....

I was in my office at 10:45 PST PM last night (ironically writing separate e-mails to both of you), when the first reports started to come in. I sat and watched it, transfixed. I honestly believe that I have never seen videos more vivid or horrific than the early helicopter shots of the wave spreading over the Japanese countyside. I stayed up all night, finishing my letters in between keeping up with this horrible news. I was thinking of Hawaii and the West Coast (Seattle, Portland), as well, of course of poor Japan.

I am sorry to not have thought of your wife, Dave. I barely knew that she was presently in Japan, but I now remember that there was word of that in the forum some time ago. I am certainly glad that she is safe. I apologize to you for not thinking immediately of her safety. No one of which I have any personal knowledge is currently in Japan at this time.

This is one of the major natural disasters of modern times - certainly in my lifetime. There will be enormous repercussions in many areas. The Japanese stock market has already lost more than 20% of its total transaction value. This will strongly affect our economy. And much more.

The dead and missing will be totally heart-breaking!

Edited by - bngbuck on 03/11/2011 13:08:29
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2011 :  11:49:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kil & Dave.....

At mid day EST, Dow is recovering to .29 up, S&P .50 up. Speculation after initial sell-off.

Relatively small numbers are encouraging. I do not intend to move money today. Maybe tomorrow if trends appear.

Today's close will be significant. Tomorrow will really start to reflect world wide concern as to bull vs. bear
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2011 :  11:51:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This will strongly affect our economy. And much more.

Indeed.

It will be interesting to see how this incident will be compared to the tsunami a few years back that killed hundreds of thousands of people.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2011 :  11:56:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dave, I'm glad your wife is ok. I'm just looking at videos from BBC, and it looks bad. It was/is far worse than I expected.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Edited by - Dr. Mabuse on 03/11/2011 11:57:02
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2011 :  13:21:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm reading that between two and three hundred are found dead thus far. That's bad enough but nothing like what it could have been. As yet, I've seen no count of injuries, which will probably be much higher.

Glad to read that Liz is ok. Is she helping with rescue efforts?

Edited to add: AiG has a take on it -- pretty much the usual.

Massive Earthquake and Tsunami in Japan
March 11, 2011LaymanKeywords
cursedeathnewssufferingNews stations worldwide are reeling at the devastation in Japan due to a massive earthquake—unequaled in the country’s recorded history—and the huge tsunami it produced, which has swept across cities and farmland leaving a trail of rubble and ruin in its wake. The death toll is still uncertain, but is expected to exceed 1,000.

In the face of such destruction, suffering, and death, many people question how a good and loving God could allow such evil to happen. However, this is just another painful reminder of how the curse of sin has affected our world. For biblical answers to this topic, please see the following resources:.

The resorces aren't wotrth going to, but if you must, simply open the link.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 03/11/2011 13:35:41
Go to Top of Page

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2011 :  21:58:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My son is heading to Hawaii tomorrow for a school trip and rugby tournament, so this has had us on the edge of our seats all day. Spoke to the guys at Air Canada cargo here in Toronto a few hours ago (had to go and drop off a parcel) and they said that Vancouver, where they land first, only got a wave about a foot high and that's it. The tour organizer has heard from others in Honolulu and apparently the airport has not suffered at all. Looks as if it's a 'go', the only thing that might cause a snag is if a lot of emergency services are staging through there for points west, but since they're a hell of a lot more important than a rugby tournament we'll understand. And while we're on the subject let's give a big shout out to all those who are there now, heading there, and will be going there soon. I only wish I was young enough and in good enough shape to go myself and lend a hand. They have a long slog ahead of them, I wish them well.

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Baculum's page: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3947338590
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2011 :  23:47:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

Is she helping with rescue efforts?
No, she has studying to do. And laundry.

Seriously, the Japanese have gazillions of local groups of first responders who have been training for this sort of thing for years, and they were all out in force within minutes of the quake, even in places that suffered little or no damage, like my wife's neighborhood. And with the trains, buses and major highways shut down, she can't really get anyplace where her help could be useful (a classmate of hers spent eight hours walking what is normally a 90-minute commute from school to home).

Things went back to normal where my wife was is hardly any time at all. A friend of hers bought a pair of headphones in an electronics shop not 15 minutes after the quake. A half-hour later, they bought bento boxes at her local convenience store (the clerk thought my wife's reaction to the quake was funny). The only reason she didn't order pizza that evening was because she was worried that an after-shock might kill the delivery man and it would be her fault.

Also, the rumor mill appears to be cranking up. She's heard that the trains will be closed for a week, and about food rationing, neither of which I can verify via Google. Another rumor she heard, that the entire island moved ten feet to the East, I can only find sourced to one guy from the USGS, as in this article (except it's eight feet, according to him), and I don't find it particularly believable (the NASA claim that the quake "sped up the Earth's rotation by 1.6 microseconds" is believable, so long as it's 1.6 us per day).

Kil, Liz had gotten off the train home just five minutes before the quake hit, and was heading for the above-mentioned electronics store when it did. She was pretty much in the middle of the street already, and said she looked up and saw the entire many-story building swaying. Her primary thought at that moment was "oh, no," but she also thought that going inside would mean risking having a ceiling collapse on her. She didn't think about falling window panes.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2011 :  23:50:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shoot: thanks to all for your concern.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2011 :  08:11:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just got back from work this morning and saw this; hell. I didn't even know your wife was in Japan. Just glad things seem to have worked out for her. One thing about living in a part of the world where that kind of thing happens a lot: People are prepared, as was pointed out earlier.

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.
Go to Top of Page

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2011 :  08:22:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Crap. One of their nuclear plants just had an explosion.

And to make things worse, PZ Myers found a bunch of people who are apparently getting off on this.

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.
Edited by - the_ignored on 03/12/2011 08:31:56
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2011 :  08:31:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been reading on it and saw the "eight foot" theory and also that it changed the Earth's axis somehow or other. I'm going to have to know a lot more about it before I buy it.

I'm also reading that there is a problem with one and possibly two of their nuke plants. This could get really ugly.

Edited to add link.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 03/12/2011 08:45:05
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.3 seconds.