Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2011 :  20:42:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Filthy.....

Yesterday, I read where someone asked to the effect of: "What bonehead decided to build nuke plants on the coast of a seriously earthquake/tsunami-prone land mass?"
As you probably know, we have two such-located plants in Southern California. There is no ethnicity to boneheadism.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2011 :  22:18:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by bngbuck

Filthy.....

Yesterday, I read where someone asked to the effect of: "What bonehead decided to build nuke plants on the coast of a seriously earthquake/tsunami-prone land mass?"
As you probably know, we have two such-located plants in Southern California. There is no ethnicity to boneheadism.
We did manage to get them to not build the Diablo Canyon reactor though. That one was to be built right on a fault line.

Check that. I guess we did let them build it. Apparently I was sleeping at the time...

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2011 :  01:39:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's really not just a boneheaded mistake that so many fission generating reactors are built at the seashore. They do need vast amounts of available water for secondary cooling.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2011 :  04:04:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Speaking of boneheads, the idiot fringe of that group has started to run it's ignorant gob.

[Starts at ~12:32]

BECK: We can't see the connections here. Now look, I'm not saying God is, you know, causing earthquakes. Well -- I'm not saying that he -- I'm not not saying that either.

God -- what God does is God's business, I have no idea. But I'll tell you this: whether you call it Gaia or whether you call it Jesus -- there's a message being sent. And that is, 'Hey, you know that stuff we're doing? Not really working out real well. Maybe we should stop doing some of it.' I'm just sayin'. And -- yesterday I got home and I was thinking about all the messages that I could bring in, all the things that I could tell ya, and oh I've got stuff on Hezbollah. Oh, I have stuff on radical Islam in America that'll make your eyes fall out. Or I could just tell you the answer, and the answer is: Buckle up. Buckle up, 'cause it's going to be a bumpy ride.

When the disaster first occured, that great, wheezing sound we heard was the Religious Right and their fellow travelers sucking wind so as to have plenty of wind on hand for their preachings, pronouncements and predictions. If you ain't terrified over the End o' World, get that way at once!

I can't bring myself to visit the smarmy Rapture Ready and will count on the ignored to update us, but I wonder: how many psychics saw this coming and predicted it? Sylvia, where was you, hon? You should 'a been all over this 'un.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2011 :  11:48:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All new reactors need to be pebble bed style reactors. As long as the chamber remains intact (well within our engineering capabilities even on fault lines and other dangerous areas) it probably isn't going to melt down.

Pebble bed reactor.

Its rather sad that we have put so many hurdles in the way of building new nuclear reactors here in the US, especially given that we have good reason to think that these newer models are much safer than the old ones, and here in the US we have a pretty good record of nuclear safety in the last several decades with our out dated reactors.

Dave_W, I missed this thread earlier, glad to hear that your wife is ok. Hope she remains so!

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2011 :  11:51:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mooner.....

They do need vast amounts of available water for secondary cooling.

Apparently what all of them also need is an independent power supply and an adequate store of primary cooling fluid.
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2011 :  12:09:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dude.....

I fully agree, but think of the negative effect this tragedy is going to have on Joe Sixpack, and his vulnerability to bribed Republican politician's bellowings about drill, baby, drill. This entire scenario could have been written by Big Oil!

Fucking religious right may have a hotwire to god after all! We better ask Filthy if he knows how to climb the celestial telephone pole and cut the connection!
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2011 :  12:21:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Stock Mqrkets more preciouys than a nation, w/video, via Wonkette.

I'd read about this a little eariler and was having trouble believing it. But evidently it's true -- Larry Kudlow has turned out to be one of those scumbags who gives the scumbags of the world a bad name.
Here he is, America’s Queen of Hearts! Larry Kudlow is the foulest talking head on any news channel. But how can he prove this, to people who don’t watch business news? By delighting in the death of so many in Japan, because this nightmare had not yet hurt his precious stock market. (Well, and how are things going today, Larry?) GAH.

Suddenly they ain't lookin, all that great, and they're likely to look a whole lot worse. The Japanese ecomomy is tied very closely with ours.The guy is an idiot as well an asshole.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2011 :  14:25:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So it turns out that nuclear disasters are the only things the Japanese can't miniaturize.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2011 :  19:32:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's a live report on CNN that Japanese government has announced that the workers at the stricken nuclear plants have "suspended operations." If this means the last 50 heroic works have left the plants, then now is truly the time to panic. These are/were the only people who have been preventing total meltdown of reactor cores and spent fuel rods.

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2011 :  20:11:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, the Washington Times (take it for what you will) reported that radiation levels in Tokyo were 23 times normal on Tuesday morning, which means instead of getting the equivalent of a chest X-ray every 18 days (normal background radiation), people in Tokyo are getting the equivalent of a chest X-ray every 19 hours.

This page indicates that it takes 100 milliSieverts (mSv) per year before there is any detectable increase in cancer, but 23 times the normal level is only 46 mSv per year.

So, radiation levels in Tokyo would have to rise to at least 50 times normal to make a detectable increase in cancer risk for people staying there for a whole year.

Levels would have to rise to at least 600 times normal to make a detectable increase in cancer risk for people staying in Tokyo for a month.

Levels would have to rise to at least 2,400 times normal (over 100 times Tuesday's levels) to make a detectable increase in cancer risk for people staying in Tokyo for a week.

And levels would have to rise to at least 18,000 times normal (over 780 times Tuesday's levels) to make a detectable increase in cancer risk for people staying in Tokyo for just a day.

Unless the radiation levels increase more, Tokyo is pretty safe.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2011 :  20:26:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I meant to reply to this earlier:
Originally posted by HalfMooner

There's some panic here in the Philippines, a country notoriously ripe for rumors. The Philippines (I believe) is the world's number one cell phone texting nation. So panic spreads by way of forwarded text messages. Here's one I received less than an hour and a half ago:
bbc news: up0n govt cnfirms radiation leak at fukushima nuclear plants. Asian countries should take necessary precautions. Remain indoors first 24 hours. Swab neck skin with betadine wher thyroid area is, radiation hits thyroid first. Radiation may hit phil at starting 4pm 2day. -c0nfirmed
Of course, I tuned immediately to BBC News, which was saying no such thing.
Of course not, because it is medically stupid.

The problem with the thyroid is due to its uptake of radioactive iodine from the bloodstream, which gets there due to ingestion or inhalation of radioactive dust. Ingesting non-radioactive potassium iodide in large quantities can help ensure that the thyroid is "full" of normal iodine and so won't take up the radioactive sort. Depending on the dosage, this can work up to 24 hours after exposure to radioactive iodine, I've heard.

But the iodine has to be in the bloodstream, whether radioactive or not, to get to the thyroid. Swabbing Betadine on your neck skin won't do a damn thing other than turn your neck an ugly yellowish-brown. It certainly won't protect you from radiation.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2011 :  20:43:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

I meant to reply to this earlier:

There's some panic here in the Philippines, a country notoriously ripe for rumors. The Philippines (I believe) is the world's number one cell phone texting nation. So panic spreads by way of forwarded text messages. Here's one I received less than an hour and a half ago:
bbc news: up0n govt cnfirms radiation leak at fukushima nuclear plants. Asian countries should take necessary precautions. Remain indoors first 24 hours. Swab neck skin with betadine wher thyroid area is, radiation hits thyroid first. Radiation may hit phil at starting 4pm 2day. -c0nfirmed
Of course, I tuned immediately to BBC News, which was saying no such thing.
Of course not, because it is medically stupid.

The problem with the thyroid is due to its uptake of radioactive iodine from the bloodstream, which gets there due to ingestion or inhalation of radioactive dust. Ingesting non-radioactive potassium iodide in large quantities can help ensure that the thyroid is "full" of normal iodine and so won't take up the radioactive sort. Depending on the dosage, this can work up to 24 hours after exposure to radioactive iodine, I've heard.

But the iodine has to be in the bloodstream, whether radioactive or not, to get to the thyroid. Swabbing Betadine on your neck skin won't do a damn thing other than turn your neck an ugly yellowish-brown. It certainly won't protect you from radiation.
I think the hoaxer wanted to see if people painted their throats purple, as a public sign of his/her success with the hoax.

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2011 :  20:58:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

There's a live report on CNN that Japanese government has announced that the workers at the stricken nuclear plants have "suspended operations." If this means the last 50 heroic works have left the plants, then now is truly the time to panic. These are/were the only people who have been preventing total meltdown of reactor cores and spent fuel rods.
CNN is still reporting this, but they're saying "if it's true that the 50 workers have been withdrawn..." They don't know if everyone is being taken out for good, or if they're just swapping one set of 50 people for another, or what.

The CNN reporters have themselves been withdrawn. They were reporting from just outside the evacuation zone for the first few days of this, but now they're reporting from Akita, which is over 100 miles away from the reactors (the town, not the prefecture). A lot of reporters from other networks have fled Sendai prefecture, heading either north or south, also.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2011 :  21:38:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wowzers!

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds.