Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Community Forums
 General Discussion
 Subtle(astral) bodies compatible with materialism?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2011 :  21:16:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dave.....

Well, the question was hostile no matter to whom it was directed.
Hostility, like beauty, may lie in the eye of the beholder.
So saying you weren't being hostile to skeptics simply means that you were being hostile to Alexander1304
O.K.
Doesn't it only require a willingness to overcome one's biases as the evidence demands?
That too.
bng
You mention Randi.
Dave
Actually, you did.
Actually, so did Kil

Kil
I assure you, Randi does not say that psi is not possible. Obviously, he strongly doubts it or he wouldn't be offering a million bucks to anyone who can provide a positive result under controlled conditions
Line 10 in Kil's long post above
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2011 :  22:05:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by bngbuck

Hostility, like beauty, may lie in the eye of the beholder.
Tell me something I don't know.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2011 :  23:30:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dave.....

Tell me something I don't know.
I just did!
Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2011 :  02:42:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Alexander1304

..."Most parapsychologists remain skeptical about the reality of astral bodies"...Another statement is made that "even gross materialist would allow that it is conceivable that human consciousness and personality are not stored in physical brain but in āstral brain..."

Instead of approaching the idea of "astral bodies" and human consciousness stored in an "astral brain", it would be more sensible I think to approach any explanation concerning claims of the "paranormal" from the standpoint of hallucinations. Also perhaps specific physical and cultural psychology that would cause people to hallucinate and the need they have to believe in such things. This gets us closer to Occam's razor in explanation.

Diversity, independence, innovation and imagination are progressive concepts ultimately alien to the conservative mind.

"TAX AND SPEND" IS GOOD! (TAX: Wealthy corporations who won't go poor even after taxes. SPEND: On public works programs, education, the environment, improvements.)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.