Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

alienist
Skeptic Friend

USA
210 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2011 :  18:02:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send alienist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ebone4rock,

Who do you mean when you say theist?

there are a lot of people in the world who believe in god but have different ideas about how much god knows, how much God is involved in their lives.

I think Deists believe in god, but don't believe he is involved in every day concerns.

I think for some people it is easier to think that humans are special enough to have the attention of The Creator. Believing in God is also a way of making sense of the world and gives people a feeling of purpose. Otherwise, we have to face that Unbearable Lightness of Being, of being a brief flame in time and space. The universe is so fast that it can make people terribly insignificant. It is also a way of understanding why bad things happen.

The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well! - Joe Ancis
Go to Top of Page

Baxter
Skeptic Friend

USA
131 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2011 :  19:16:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Baxter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dude

If I'm reading you correctly, that is ridiculous.
Why? People tend to connect the ideas of God and morality, don't they? I'm not following you.
Also, if god is real (and omnipotent as described) then free will does not exist. Every action you take is merely an expression of divine intent, so if the christian god is real, then every murder is intended, so god has no problem with it.
Well, that's one way to look at it. Some Christians hold that view.

"We tend to scoff at the beliefs of the ancients. But we can't scoff at them personally, to their faces, and this is what annoys me." ~from Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey

"We can be as honest as we are ignorant. If we are, when asked what is beyond the horizon of the known, we must say that we do not know." ~Robert G. Ingersoll
Edited by - Baxter on 04/14/2011 19:30:26
Go to Top of Page

Baxter
Skeptic Friend

USA
131 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2011 :  19:29:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Baxter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Ebone4rock

Originally posted by Baxter

"...and be good because this god knows all and sees all and will send you to Hell if you don't follow the rules".
So, Ebone4rock, if God is real, do you think God would have no problem with you murdering people?

Morality seems to be intuitively connected to the idea of God.

The book of Exodus clearly states that god is totally cool with murdering people...as long as they are not from your own "tribe".

It was a hypothetical question that had nothing to do with the bible. I don't know why people make the jump from theism to worship, but the jump to a moral lawgiver and judge is a different story.

See, I think it's hard for most people to believe in God and simultaneously think that God doesn't care about goodness.

"We tend to scoff at the beliefs of the ancients. But we can't scoff at them personally, to their faces, and this is what annoys me." ~from Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey

"We can be as honest as we are ignorant. If we are, when asked what is beyond the horizon of the known, we must say that we do not know." ~Robert G. Ingersoll
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2011 :  20:20:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Baxter

Originally posted by Dude

If I'm reading you correctly, that is ridiculous.
Why? People tend to connect the ideas of God and morality, don't they? I'm not following you.
Also, if god is real (and omnipotent as described) then free will does not exist. Every action you take is merely an expression of divine intent, so if the christian god is real, then every murder is intended, so god has no problem with it.
Well, that's one way to look at it. Some Christians hold that view.

Some religious people do, I'm sure, but the idea of god = morality is far from universal. Personally I find the idea offensive. Morality is subjective and we each determine our own, no deities required.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.