Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

alienist
Skeptic Friend

USA
210 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2011 :  19:09:31  Show Profile Send alienist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was wondering how many women are on this website. I haven't seen a lot of women contribute to the different forums here. Does anyone have any ideas about why there aren't more female skeptics? I do know about skeptchick and sometimes look at her blog.

The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well! - Joe Ancis

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2011 :  06:36:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The results of a 2002 SFN poll can be found here.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2011 :  07:08:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

The results of a 2002 SFN poll can be found here.

A little out of date dontcha think?

Haole with heart, thats all I'll ever be. I'm not a part of the North Shore society. Stuck on the shoulder, that's where you'll find me. Digging for scraps with the kooks in line. -Offspring
Go to Top of Page

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2011 :  10:50:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
orininally posted by Alienist
Does anyone have any ideas about why there aren't more female skeptics?

Probably because to most people learning and using applied skepticism is as exciting as watching paint dry.

Haole with heart, thats all I'll ever be. I'm not a part of the North Shore society. Stuck on the shoulder, that's where you'll find me. Digging for scraps with the kooks in line. -Offspring
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2011 :  13:39:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes and we all know how women despise learning.

Go to Top of Page

alienist
Skeptic Friend

USA
210 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2011 :  19:05:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send alienist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have been thinking more about my question. I think there aren't as many women posting because of lack of confidence. this doesn't apply to all women. I think some women have learned not to express their opinion, esp. with men. I went to a high school where the girls were strong about expressing their opinions and their intelligence. So it is hard for me to understand why there aren't more women posting comments. There could of course be other reasons that I am not thinking of.

The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well! - Joe Ancis
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2011 :  22:00:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alienist.....

Aversion to combat and confrontation; the persuasion by power and the implicit threat of strength? Methods that many males have used to manipulate and control females - and others - ever since the Pleistocene era? Unfortunate traces of the behaviour still evident today?
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2011 :  22:34:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by bngbuck

Alienist.....

Aversion to combat and confrontation; the persuasion by power and the implicit threat of strength? Methods that many males have used to manipulate and control females - and others - ever since the Pleistocene era? Unfortunate traces of the behaviour still evident today?

I was going to say that I think there are just as many women skeptics as men, but women don't so often choose open confrontation. Internet forums are typically hostile territory for all participants, and that doesn't generally appeal to women.

I read a study on internet games a few months back, violent and confrontational games (shooters, MMORPGs, etc) don't attract female players. But the girls still play games as much as guys to, they just pick games that don't involve combat.

Maybe the same thing happens for internet forums that deal with argument? It would be interesting to see a breakdown by gender of the people who actually read these forums and don't actively post.

Maybe a poll open to anyone who stops by to read, no registration required? To all readers of these forums, are you male or female? Should be easy to make that a poll.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2011 :  08:02:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was going to say that I think there are just as many women skeptics as men, but women don't so often choose open confrontation.

I actually disagree with both halves of that statement.

Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2011 :  10:58:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OFFC.....

I actually disagree with both halves of that statement.

Why?
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2011 :  21:27:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Because I think women are less skeptical and just as confrontational, if we are talking about non-physical confrontation.

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2011 :  22:08:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by On fire for Christ

Because I think women are less skeptical and just as confrontational, if we are talking about non-physical confrontation.
Just to clarify, do you think woman are less skeptical than men, or do you mean there are less female skeptics than there are male skeptics?

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2011 :  22:26:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
please explain the difference

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2011 :  00:29:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote

please explain the difference
Seriously?

Well, okay then.

Saying that woman are less skeptical than men seems to imply that they actually think differently than men do and men do skepticism better. Woman are inherently less skeptical. Sort of like the old thinking that woman can't do math. Girls were steered away from pursuing mathematics and into more appropriate occupations for woman because it was thought that they were less mathematically inclined then men.

Saying that there are less female skeptics than there are male skeptics more suggests that woman are just as capable of being critical thinkers as men are, but for whatever reason, aren't as interested in pursuing it as men are. At least not publicly on a skeptic forum or as a part of the skeptical community.

So which is it?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2011 :  00:34:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't agree with equating Skepticism to Math. As if Skepticism is a skill. By defining it this way you are setting me up to be a sexist if I say women are less skeptical than men.

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2011 :  00:42:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I don't agree with equating Skepticism to Math. As if Skepticism is a skill. By defining it this way you are setting me up to be a sexist if I say women are less skeptical than men.
Skepticism is both a philosophy and a skill. Critical thinking is a set of tools that we learn to use. So the analogy is apt. I'm not setting you up to be anything. It's not a trick. I'm seeking clarification.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds.