Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2002 :  00:01:14  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message
Poll Question:
Since we cannot know the gender of all visitors and it has been posited that men may post more, are you a:

Results:
Man   [69%] 342 votes
Woman   [31%] 152 votes

Poll Status: Locked  »»   Total Votes: 494 counted  »»   Last Vote: 09/01/2006 23:39:47 

Lisa
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2002 :  00:43:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Lisa a Private Message
Well @tomic, you and I voted.
Mine is pretty obvious. There are a few folks running around here who I'd have no idea, except that they're on other forums. (Kinda get a clue after a while)
Denise brought this up this time. I know this has been discussed before, but we have a lot of newbies here. A good subject, and one I tend to think about a lot.
Denise started a room over at PalTalk (voice and text chat) for skeptics. We are vastly outnumbered. This really isn't a problem per se. All opinions carry the same weight, regardless of gender. We just want to know where all the other women are. Not an unreasonable request.
One caveat here: I did slink out of the room once. A guy had started some meds, was concerned about side effects, and a doctor in the room wanted to know if he was having any problems "maintaining wood". I didn't feel like I need to be in that little discussion.
Go to Top of Page

Snake
SFN Addict

USA
2511 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2002 :  01:16:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Snake's Homepage  Send Snake an ICQ Message  Send Snake a Yahoo! Message Send Snake a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by @tomic

One of our discussions has involved the number of women skeptics. Since we cannot know the gender of all visitors and it has been posited that men may post more, are you a:

Ok, I voted too. BUT PLEASEeeeee! I'd like to know why it's so important to know?
I can see in some certain cases where it's important to have a separtation. Like when men want some piece and quite so they can go to a club and be alone or in the work place when they want to get something done and don't want a woman around. Or in sports locker rooms or on the radio, who wants to listen to a womans voice? But on line where people CAN be annomous and it's only ideas and thoughts how does that matter who's who or who said what?
Go to Top of Page

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2002 :  01:58:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message
This is nothing about separation. It is only a matter of curiosity.

@tomic

Gravity, not just a good idea...it's the law!

Sportsbettingacumen.com: The science of sports betting
Go to Top of Page

Snake
SFN Addict

USA
2511 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2002 :  19:03:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Snake's Homepage  Send Snake an ICQ Message  Send Snake a Yahoo! Message Send Snake a Private Message
quote:

This is nothing about separation. It is only a matter of curiosity.

@tomic

Ok, sorry. But it did sound like separtating things into catagories.

Oh a more seriouse note:
quote:
It is only a matter of curiosity.

Pervert!
Go to Top of Page

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2002 :  02:25:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message
The results so far are interesting. Yes few have participated in this but so far almost all the members that voted are male and visitors female. This new poll system is very good although not perfect in stopping a person from voting more than once. I can't wait to see how it turns out.

@tomic

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2002 :  05:04:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
From rattling around various skeptic sites as well as a few of the theist's (mostly lurking at both), I think that men are something of a majority at both. However, women seem to be a little more hard-nosed about it. Oddly enough, they also don't seem to get hysterical as easily as many of the men.

Sterotypes slipping? I dunno. Just an obsevertaion from my single, working eye.

f

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2002 :  12:08:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message
That's posting. But it would be interesting if women were just as interested in the subjects and read the site as often as men. This is difficult piece of data to gather if women don't post.

@tomic

Go to Top of Page

Snake
SFN Addict

USA
2511 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2002 :  12:40:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Snake's Homepage  Send Snake an ICQ Message  Send Snake a Yahoo! Message Send Snake a Private Message
quote:

The results so far are interesting. Yes few have participated in this but so far almost all the members that voted are male and visitors female. This new poll system is very good although not perfect in stopping a person from voting more than once. I can't wait to see how it turns out.

@tomic

How can you tell if someone is a visitor or memeber
Then poll results don't divide them, do they?

I hardly ever log in, so I guess I'm reconized as a visitor. Right? How can one post if they are not a member and type in their name on the form to post?
Go to Top of Page

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2002 :  21:09:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message
It depends on how you vote. If you are not logged in and vote it will record you as a visitor. If you are logged in it records not only your vote but your member ID so you can't vote again. Admin and moderators get counts of members voted, who voted and stuff like that. Posting anonymously on a vote like this sort of defeats the purpose of this poll. We can't stop anyone from doing what they want. Just so you know, all I can see is that you voted or not. I can't tell how a person voted although this particular poll makes it obvious. Usually it would be far from obvious.

So far out of 19 member votes, two are women. But then we expected that sort of ratio for members. This should be very interesting but the sampling is so pathetic right now that it's only fun to discuss the progress at this point.

@tomic

Go to Top of Page

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2002 :  21:11:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message
Oh, and Snake...there is a new feature that let's you hide yourself from active users if you want. That might make you want to just sign in all the time. It really is the easiest way to use the site.

@tomic

Go to Top of Page

Snake
SFN Addict

USA
2511 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2002 :  22:21:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Snake's Homepage  Send Snake an ICQ Message  Send Snake a Yahoo! Message Send Snake a Private Message
quote:

Oh, and Snake...there is a new feature that let's you hide yourself from active users if you want. That might make you want to just sign in all the time. It really is the easiest way to use the site.

@tomic

Thanks. I'll check it out. You know I just hate getting IM'd or bothered when I'm busy on line.
And I like to be like SH, in the shadows.
Go to Top of Page

Legallee Insane
Skeptic Friend

Canada
126 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2002 :  22:58:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Legallee Insane a Private Message
I suspect the results of this pole would not be quite as balanced on a larger board such as the JREF board, but that is only a suspicion. Perhaps I should start the same pole on that board.

--"Only the fool says in his heart: There is no god -- The wise says it to the world"
--"I darn you to HECK!" - Catbert
--"Don't worry, we're not laughing at you, we're laughing near you."
Go to Top of Page

chainsaw
Skeptic Friend

USA
63 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2003 :  14:17:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send chainsaw a Private Message
Why do we need this information?

To adequately size our bathrooms silly.

You can "believe" what you want, but you do have to get your science right or you'll flunk science.
Go to Top of Page

Legallee Insane
Skeptic Friend

Canada
126 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2003 :  15:13:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Legallee Insane a Private Message
The result of the same poll on the JREF board turned up the following numbers:
80% men
20% women

These figures are a little more of what I would expect if more were to vote here at this board.

--"Only the fool says in his heart: There is no god -- The wise says it to the world"
--"I darn you to HECK!" - Catbert
--"Don't worry, we're not laughing at you, we're laughing near you."
Go to Top of Page

TG
Skeptic Friend

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2003 :  15:47:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send TG a Private Message
Obviously, this poll is related to the "Idiot Professor" thread (http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2002-12/uow-wam121802.php). It's nothing more than a blatant attempt to determine the percentage of potential murderers and rapists among the atheistic barbarians that frequent the SFN.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds.