Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Bill scott
SFN Addict

USA
2103 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2011 :  11:11:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Bill scott a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Ebone4rock

Originally posted by Bill scott

marfknox, I know that you have not been posting very often since I joined...

I see that marf went ahead and "hosted" one of those "parasite" things for 9 months that normal people call babies. And is even currently "hosting another parasite". I know last we talked she was pretty sure she would never "host a parasite with her body". I guess she changed her mind, a woman's prerogative I hear.

Is this meant to be some sort of insult to marfknox? Way uncool.

Not at all. That was a real conversation that we had in the past. I just noticed that her views on "hosting a parasite" have seemed to change a little bit.

"Lets get one thing clear, Bill. Science does make some assumptions." -perrodetokio-

"In the end as skeptics we must realize that there is no real knowledge, there is only what is most reasonable to believe." -Coelacanth-

The fact that humans do science is what causes errors in science. -Dave W.-

Go to Top of Page

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2011 :  11:29:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote

marfknox, I know that you have not been posting very often since I joined...

I see that marf went ahead and "hosted" one of those "parasite" things for 9 months that normal people call babies. And is even currently "hosting another parasite". I know last we talked she was pretty sure she would never "host a parasite with her body". I guess she changed her mind, a woman's prerogative I hear.

Is this meant to be some sort of insult to marfknox? Way uncool.

Not at all. That was a real conversation that we had in the past. I just noticed that her views on "hosting a parasite" have seemed to change a little bit.

Gotcha. See how it easy it is to miss these nuances.

Haole with heart, thats all I'll ever be. I'm not a part of the North Shore society. Stuck on the shoulder, that's where you'll find me. Digging for scraps with the kooks in line. -Offspring
Go to Top of Page

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2011 :  20:08:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bill, what the fuck? While in the strictest technical sense, an embryo is a "parasite", that does not mean that it's a foreign organism feeding off of the host. Not only is the "parasite" the same species, half of the DNA for the "parasite" is identical to the hosts!

Now, if you consider yourself "pro-life" because of you're religion, you've got one hell of a problem with that genocidal god of yours.

Care to take me on on that in a different thread instead of derailing this one?

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2011 :  06:13:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm rather confused and extremely offended by Bill scott's fucked up and totally off-topic comment in my direction. I can only assume he's perhaps misrepresenting something I said in a conversation about abortion years ago? As I have no memory what-so-ever of the conversation he's referring to, I can only guess. Bill, put up a link to this supposed conversation. Otherwise, assume you horribly misunderstood whatever I might have said to you years ago and shut the fuck up.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Edited by - marfknox on 05/07/2011 06:14:04
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2011 :  06:21:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ebone, I didn't mean to set up any strawman arguments. But you did agree that you had meant that people should rely on government as little as possible, so why is it okay for able-bodied elderly people to accept social security checks when they can work?

I've seen some abuses, too, but nothing that would warrent anything more extreme than reform of the system, and that is a far cry from what the Libertarian Party advocates. But I don't want to derail the conversation. If you have the time and interest, can you either give some examples of these abuses in a new conversation or direct me to a conversation on the forums you've already had so I can maybe join in on that? Thanks.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

alienist
Skeptic Friend

USA
210 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2011 :  14:24:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send alienist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I often see people who need government help. Forty to 50% of the homeless have a mental illness (that does not include substance abuse). I treat a few damaged people who just don't have the ability to take care of themselves. There are also people who can work but can't find a job with health insurance benefits. so the choice is either get a job and spend all your money on health care or go on disability and get medical assistance.
I really wish the US would stop wasting money on the drug war and spend it on treatment. I wish there was more money for education and rehabilitation. There is so little money spent on the future of this country that we end up paying more in the long run.
Well time to get off my soap box

The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well! - Joe Ancis
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2011 :  15:36:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is a pretty old argument isn't it? Some people need help, but in order to find out who does and who doesn't without infinite red-tape some people who don't need help are going to get it and some who need it aren't. The more screening we have, the higher the administrative costs become and the less money there is to go around, it is simply not possible to consider each person on an individual basis. The system is doomed from the start to be imperfect.
Perhaps in small communities where people know each other it would be possible according to libertarian philosophy. I don't know that much about libertarianism but from on the surface it seems to put an awful lot of trust in local leaders.

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2011 :  17:47:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by marfknox

...or direct me to a conversation on the forums you've already had so I can maybe join in on that?
Here is something that's not too old.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds.