Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2011 :  17:15:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thoughts of the Rude Pundit:
5/02/2011
Dead Terrorist (In Brief):

Yeah, you know, the woman who climbed the light pole near Ground Zero late last night and flashed her bra to the cheering, chanting crowd, according to WNYC, that was probably someone who didn't really get what the hell just happened. Or someone who just associated any occasion with drunkenness and tit-showing. America loves booze, boobs, and killing.

Yes, yes, let's get it out of our systems. Look, hey, sure, fine, enjoy yourselves, dear, happy Americans, holding that Osamagasm in for ten long years. How nice it must be to finally spew that jizz of jingoism right into dead bin Laden's bullet hole. Oh, shit, yeah, it's good to be a liberal who gets to be bloodthirsty for the right reasons. How sweet it is, no?

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2011 :  18:22:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While I am glad the murdering coward is dead, I will not celebrate his death.

I never cheer when the monster dies. There is always a more subtle one waiting in the wings.

However, I am reminded of a joke.

Bin Laden gets to his afterlife. George Washington comes up to him and expresses how angry he is at what he did and punches him in the gut. In turn many founding fathers of the US like Jefferson and Madison commence wailing the snot out of him.

Bin Laden, confused, cries out to Allah that this wasn't what he was promised. Allah responds, "yes it is. I clearly said that you'd be met by 72 Virginians."

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2011 :  22:40:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's a spin that I bet no one ever though of!

Lord knows, I sure as hell didn't.

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2011 :  06:08:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Originally posted by Fripp[/i]

Well for fuck's sake people, I for one am frickin' ecstatic that that shithead is dead. The pious hypocrite [i]attacked[/i] us, purposely killed thousands of innocent people all in the name is his twisted view of his religion.

I know many of you are going to argue that the US has done the same and I [i]understand[/i] that viewpoint, though I don't [i]agree[/i] with it. I'm not interested in debating these arguments because my point is that I'm glad the bastard is dead. And, yes, I would be celebrating in the streets.

And though I can't justify it on any moral grounds, yes I would like to see his head on a stick. Would it accomplish anything? Probably not. But when they perform acts of such vile brutality such as behead people savagely on video, treating them in a civilized manner won't sink the message in. These people are so blinded by their own fanaticism that the only way to get their attention to be as ruthless in return.

Would it be nice if wars and terrorism and senseless violence were eradicated? Of course, but I live in the real world.

Just my two cents. Feel free to blast me for my gut emotion.

Hmph, if anyone’s gourd belongs on a pike, it’s that of this war criminal. We can add in Cheney and Rumsfeld and call it the Bush Trifecta.

Some, however, don’t agree.
Fox & Friends had wall-to-wall coverage of the celebrations inspired by news of Osama bin Laden's death this morning, and had on lots of analysts to discuss the Obama administration's big victory in the so-called "war on terror".

To do that, strangely enough, they had on all sorts of commentators, including various politicians, such as Karl Rove, and featured statements from the likes of Dick Cheney. Oddly enough, not a single segment managed to include a Democratic politician or even one person from the Obama administration.

Instead, what we heard all morning was how George W. Bush deserves credit too! They even ran a segment featuring Bush vowing in 2001 he would eventually get Bin Laden, with the longest time frame being a year from then.

Add in bin Laden, Bush’s lame excuse for the vile Patriot Act and invading Iraq, and the gang’s all there, drooling necrotic fluids down on the White House lawn. Until the crows finally finish them off.

The douchebags at FOX”news” suck like a sludge pump and are a lot less useful.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 05/03/2011 06:11:36
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2011 :  10:24:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Fripp

Well for fuck's sake people, I for one am frickin' ecstatic that that shithead is dead. The pious hypocrite attacked us, purposely killed thousands of innocent people all in the name is his twisted view of his religion.
...and Bin Ladin himself claimed it was retaliation for wrongs that USA had committed in the Middle-East, payback as it were. It takes two to tango.

And though I can't justify it on any moral grounds, yes I would like to see his head on a stick. Would it accomplish anything? Probably not. But when they perform acts of such vile brutality such as behead people savagely on video, treating them in a civilized manner won't sink the message in. These people are so blinded by their own fanaticism that the only way to get their attention to be as ruthless in return.
If you are choosing the path of vengeance, and eye for an eye, you better be absolutely sure that those on the receiving end of your stick are the bastards who deserve it.
Most of the detainees in Guantanamo are most likely innocent. The same goes for the huge majority of deaths in Iraq. By exacting payback on innocent parties, you only keep feeding the vicious circle.

Edit clarification.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Edited by - Dr. Mabuse on 05/03/2011 10:39:41
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2011 :  10:34:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Fripp

Well for fuck's sake people, I for one am frickin' ecstatic that that shithead is dead. The pious hypocrite attacked us, purposely killed thousands of innocent people all in the name is his twisted view of his religion.

I know many of you are going to argue that the US has done the same and I understand that viewpoint, though I don't agree with it. I'm not interested in debating these arguments because my point is that I'm glad the bastard is dead. And, yes, I would be celebrating in the streets.

Would it be nice if wars and terrorism and senseless violence were eradicated? Of course, but I live in the real world.

Just my two cents. Feel free to blast me for my gut emotion.

I'm not sure anyone here is saying that we aren't glad the guy is dead. Just that if we are out celebrating the death of a human being then how does that make us better than the people that attacked us on 9/11 or the people that celebrated that attack?

If we behave no differently than the people we are fighting, well, then what makes us any different than them? We fucking jumped off that precipice without hesitation, didn't we? We tortured people, we violated our own constitution, initiated a massive internal security crackdown (domestic spying that co-opted our telecom companies, "homeland" security, TSA, and so on) we launched invasions of two countries, we killed a fucking lot of civilians... and now we celebrate a death and people want to desecrate the body of the guy we just assassinated?

As far as I can see, we just fucking lost. Again. Terrorists win, because they have caused us to abandon our principles and ignore our own values, and now we are embracing their values.

When we abandon our principles, abandon the rule of law, then I have a hard time telling who the bad guys are. When I look at people here, in my country, throwing parties and celebrating the death of a human being.... I feel the same thing I felt when I saw Palestinians and other people in the middle east celebrating 9/11. Anger and disgust.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2011 :  10:56:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And they're off!!!

Report of bin Laden’s death spurs questions from conspiracy theorists

While much of America celebrated the dramatic killing of Osama bin Laden, the Sept. 11 conspiracy theorists still had questions. For them and a growing number of skeptics, the plot only thickened.

Could the public trust bin Laden’s DNA samples? Where was bin Laden’s body? Why was the most wanted mujaheddin on Earth buried in an undisclosed location in the northern Arabian Sea? Why was the news announced mere weeks after President Obama’s campaign kickoff and just days after his birth certificate was released? Why so late on a Sunday night?

Within minutes of the news of bin Laden’s funeral at sea, Facebook, Twitter and e-mail lighted up with conspiracy theories from around the globe, asking questions, pointing out discrepancies, motives, counter-motives, coverups and counter-coverups, comparing photos and videos, voice recordings and FBI most-wanted pinup posters.

“This has not put a single of the 9/11 questions to bed,” said Steven Jones, a retired Brigham Young University physics professor and contributor to the 9/11 Truth Movement. Jones, along with other members of the movement, a loose coalition of people who distrust Washington’s version of the attacks, say the collapse of the twin towers is best explained as controlled demolition.

“As a scientist, I try to look at the evidence I can get,” Jones said.

It started with the “9/11 truthers,” who, after the attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon, wondered why 110-story towers crashed and military jets failed to intercept even one airliner. They formed organizations. They held rallies. They filed many Freedom of Information Act requests.

They wrote books and studied the physics of the towers crumbling.

“I don’t know how you can have closure, when there are hundreds of contradictions to the stories that you were told. The story doesn’t end here because we are told bin Laden is dead,” said Mike Berger, who works with 911Truth.org, an organization founded to examine facts around the attack. “We are living in an endless war of trillions of dollars being spent without any responsibility.’’
Read on...

Given that the Truthers have always maintained that 9/11 was an inside job, this should not be surprising to anyone here.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2011 :  11:13:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well said, Dude. See, what it tells us is that we are no different; no more “highly evolved” than anyone else. This whole thing should be a lesson in humility, but of course it won’t be. Too many cretins are wrapping their brain-damaged ass’ in the flag and chanting some crap about” We’re #1.” Or "USA, USA.” Small wonder that the terrorists have been winning for a decade and will continue to do so until Gitmo is closed and the stinking Patriot Act is repealed. I don’t see either happening soon.

Anyhow, here’s some more thoughts from the Rude One:
A Few More Random Observations Regarding the Death of a Rich Terrorist:

1. Chances are that the bin Laden compound raid didn't go down as described. Chances are that it was "just execute the fucker," despite the White House saying that the soldiers were told that they should arrest bin Laden if he surrendered.

2. The Rude Pundit doesn't give a fuck about conspiracies on the left and right that say that bin Laden's been dead for years and they're just now bringing out the body (if so, the timing sucks - the White House could have at least waited until next summer) or that bin Laden's not really dead. If you've got some evidence, pony it up. Otherwise, let's just say the fucker's dead and died the other day. You can come up with all kinds of suspicions (the same date that the U.S. was informed that Hitler was dead? The same date as Bush's "Mission Accomplished" debacle? During Celebrity Apprentice?) but considering the number of Bush administration officials who are going along with the story, it'd have to be a huge fucking conspiracy. Let's just go with the easiest answer.

Oh, how they'll squeal! "It's all just another conspiricy by the Islamic blackies in the house that really belongs to us Christian whities!"

Screw 'em all, says I, but it'll be fun watching them do their imbecilic contortions in public.

Edited to add this link. I reccommend visiting the Freepers. There is no insanity that these morons won't embrace.

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 05/03/2011 11:31:26
Go to Top of Page

alienist
Skeptic Friend

USA
210 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2011 :  11:51:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send alienist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I did have a immediate reaction of happiness when I heard that Osama was killed. There is always that wish that we can solve problems by cutting of the head of an organization or country.

However, what has been most effective in defeating Al qaida is stopping the money that goes to them. Of course, that is not as exciting to most people as killing a person.

The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well! - Joe Ancis
Go to Top of Page

Fripp
SFN Regular

USA
727 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2011 :  12:27:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Fripp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just because I am celebrating his execution and I agree with the "big picture" goal of disrupting/destroying Al Qaida, that does NOT mean that I agree with the process and actions that have happened since 9-11.

For instance, Iraq was a complete BS diversionary move. I said it the whole time during the "run up" to the war and I say it now. As well, the various events that Dude enumerated, which I'll generically label as "assaults on our principles and freedoms", are also egregious mistakes and missteps (I know those words are inadequate, but I'm writing this on-the-fly).

But why does celebrating the death of an individual who had little to no redeeming qualities automatically put me in lock-step agreement with the unfolding of events over the ensuing ten years?

Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse
...and Bin Ladin himself claimed it was retaliation for wrongs that USA had committed in the Middle-East, payback as it were. It takes two to tango.

You mean the same bin Laden who had no problem taking our money and our weapons to fight the Soviets? I'm sorry but I see the world as shades of gray instead of absolutes and I see Bin Laden as a far darker shade of gray.

And don't ask me to defend W because I am FAR from being a fan of his.

If you are choosing the path of vengeance, and eye for an eye, you better be absolutely sure that those on the receiving end of your stick are the bastards who deserve it.

Agreed. But are/were you against us responding to the 9/11 attack? I'm not asking if you agree with how it took place, but if you agree with the why.

No offense, but I'm wondering if you think we should have said, "oh well, I guess we deserved that."

Most of the detainees in Guantanamo are most likely innocent. The same goes for the huge majority of deaths in Iraq. By exacting payback on innocent parties, you only keep feeding the vicious circle.

Agreed on all counts. Like I said, I agree with the concept of avenging the attack, but I vehemently disagreed with how they went about executing it.

Nor do I think that the ends justifies the means. But I am happy that he's gone. And that doesn't "lower me to his level".

"What the hell is an Aluminum Falcon?"

"Oh, I'm sorry. I thought my Dark Lord of the Sith could protect a small thermal exhaust port that's only 2-meters wide! That thing wasn't even fully paid off yet! You have any idea what this is going to do to my credit?!?!"

"What? Oh, oh, 'just rebuild it'? Oh, real [bleep]ing original. And who's gonna give me a loan, jackhole? You? You got an ATM on that torso LiteBrite?"
Go to Top of Page

Machi4velli
SFN Regular

USA
854 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2011 :  16:03:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Machi4velli a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dude
I'm not sure anyone here is saying that we aren't glad the guy is dead. Just that if we are out celebrating the death of a human being then how does that make us better than the people that attacked us on 9/11 or the people that celebrated that attack?

It's different because the people killed on 9/11 were all innocent civilians. Bin Laden is not.

Sure, it's not something to dance in the street about (agreed, that's excessive and in bad taste), but there is some satisfaction in completing a grim task that needs to be done.

This reminds me of Hitchens' argument when he was glad Jerry Falwell was no longer around and felt no need to feel sorry about it (and if I remember correctly, echoed by some folks here).

If we behave no differently than the people we are fighting, well, then what makes us any different than them? We fucking jumped off that precipice without hesitation, didn't we? We tortured people, we violated our own constitution, initiated a massive internal security crackdown (domestic spying that co-opted our telecom companies, "homeland" security, TSA, and so on) we launched invasions of two countries, we killed a fucking lot of civilians... and now we celebrate a death and people want to desecrate the body of the guy we just assassinated?

As far as hopes to desecrate the body, I suppose I agree with you. It accomplishes nothing and to support that does go against the principles of many otherwise rational Americans. I don't care about how dead bodies are treated in general (including my own), but my personal views don't matter, and you're absolutely right. It may also rile people up who hope to harm Western troops or civilians, which we certainly don't want to see.

As far as I can see, we just fucking lost. Again. Terrorists win, because they have caused us to abandon our principles and ignore our own values, and now we are embracing their values.

I always wanted people who intentionally attack civilians to stop, even if it means they must die, this is not against any values I've ever had. Another solution is always preferable, and taking him alive in this raid was the intent, but it just wasn't possible without risking troops.

I have no absolute principle that says killing a person is always wrong, and never did. It should be a last resort, but sometimes it's necessary.

And I do maintain that troops in Afghanistan and Iraq aren't intentionally killing noncombatants/civilians on a large scale. (The incidents that do happen should be punished and discouraged.) People making decisions about starting wars (in America) can typically be made to stop without killing them, so I prefer to push them out of office in elections, as killing is the last resort.

"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people."
-Giordano Bruno

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, but the illusion of knowledge."
-Stephen Hawking

"Seeking what is true is not seeking what is desirable"
-Albert Camus
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2011 :  17:40:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Machi4velli

Originally posted by Dude

It's different because the people killed on 9/11 were all innocent civilians.
The Palestinians didn't think they were all that innocent. And Bin Ladin certainly didn't think so, if I'm not mistaken he said so himself.
But that's his/their point of view.

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2011 :  17:49:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote

And it's provably wrong. There were children killed, how could they be guilty of anything?

I don't want to celebrate any death, but bin Laden was a rotten bastard who isn't worth any concern from me. Would I give the order to kill rather than capture? Doubt it, but if it happened anyway I wouldn't give a flying fuck.

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Baculum's page: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3947338590
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2011 :  20:00:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fripp, I'm not saying we can't be satisfied with his death. Its a sad fact that some people need to be killed and that their deaths make the world a better place.

The problem I'm having in general right now is with people actually celebrating. People calling for his body to be dragged through the streets Illiad/Oddesy style, for his head to be put on a pike.

It doesn't put you in lock-step with the idiocy that has occured since 9/11, what it does is make me think that if we can't be better than our enemies then what the hell are we even fighting for?

Its a disgusting spectacle, it made me mad when people celebrated the 9/11 attacks, and when we are the source of the exact same behavior it very seriously pisses me off.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2011 :  20:42:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by The Rat

And it's provably wrong. There were children killed, how could they be guilty of anything?

Collateral damage.
Remember what the US administration said when they bombed a Chinese diplomatic contingent in Belgrade during the Balkan war: "Oops".
Since when has American soldiers been squeamish about collateral damage? I've seen on news footage how they were firing blind around a corner toward civilian housing from which they claimed someone were shooting.
Just have a look at the collateral murder link in my signature, for the famous wikileaks video.

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.48 seconds.