New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2011 :  04:58:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Valiant Dancer

In 2007, a study published in the Annals of Emergency Medicine points out that ERs are stiffed for 58% of all services they provide. Somebody has to pay for it. That somebody has been health insurance companies and the uninsured that actually pay for the services they get from healthcare providers. This same study broke down the percentage of charges that were paid by who was paying. Private insurance paid 56%, Medicare paid 38%, Uninsured paid 35%, and Medicaid paid 33%.

Ummmm! Something is wrong here. The study is either wrong or reported wrong because those numbers are not possible. SS

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2011 :  06:18:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by sailingsoul

Originally posted by Valiant Dancer

In 2007, a study published in the Annals of Emergency Medicine points out that ERs are stiffed for 58% of all services they provide. Somebody has to pay for it. That somebody has been health insurance companies and the uninsured that actually pay for the services they get from healthcare providers. This same study broke down the percentage of charges that were paid by who was paying. Private insurance paid 56%, Medicare paid 38%, Uninsured paid 35%, and Medicaid paid 33%.

Ummmm! Something is wrong here. The study is either wrong or reported wrong because those numbers are not possible. SS

SS, percentages quoted were from charges billed, not total paid.

I apologise for not making that clear.

The meaning being that private insurance pays a bigger slice of the pie that is charged than any other source. That the cost sharing is being supported by the insurance companies and the other payment types are paying significantly less.

In addition, of all services billed in the ER, 58% of all charges are turned into bad debt. Of the 42% that is left (actually paid) the further reductions in compensation from the four categories of payers bites into the hospital's operating costs significantly.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2011 :  06:29:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Should I worry about you looking at my job as so many government positions? I'm sure they could get a handful of GS-5 positions for mine.
It's nothing personal, Val. So far as I know, the government doesn't actually directly hire any software developers,

The VA has thousands of developers on staff. I started off as a GS-334-5 (temp) Computer Programmer Trainee.

so I'm sure if my ideal health care system were to be implemented tomorrow, you could get a decent consulting contract with the Feds for helping to create the "next gen" network which would be required. Or, if you want job security, you could probably land a GS-13 or so as a COTR or project lead overseeing the contracting software developers. Those of us with insurance already pay your salary with our premiums, Val. None of us who are in favor of nationalizing the industry are going to whine about you doing a job you're good at with our tax dollars, either directly or indirectly. Given your obvious experience, your future would be bright and not at all uncertain.

Depending on the system that is selected, my future would be very uncertain. Additionally, I would be competing with many thousands of other out of work developers. A GS-13 in the VA had to walk on water as a satisfactory goal.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2011 :  17:34:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Herman Cain is currently having a "surge" in the polls? Any new thoughts or news worth discussing regarding it?

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2011 :  17:41:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Herman Cain seems to be out-crazying the other crazies, so maybe he's a shoe-in.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2011 :  19:21:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think he's more dumb than crazy. But he talks a talk that I think will appeal to a lot of moderate voters. Because moderate voters are generally pretty dumb themselves. Just look at this clip from an interview where he mockingly refers to Uzbekistan as "Uz beki beki beki beki stan stan" and "one of these small, insignificant states around the world." For crap's sake, it's not like there are thousands of countries. There's a couple of hundred. And Uzbekistan is the 42nd most populous - bigger than Saudi Arabia and Australia. Also, reporters aren't asking about the leader of Uzbekistan just as a "gotcha" question. They are specifically asking about Uzbekistan because of current issues that involve the United States and which are engaging President Obama right now.

But most Americans don't know shit about Uzbekistan, and so when they hear Cain say crap like this with his glowing confidence, they think it sounds sensible. *sigh*

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2011 :  20:01:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, he also said that Chris Christie isn't bigoted enough to be President.

Crazy is when you've got little executive control over saying the dumb things you think up. Most of the Republican candidates are this sort of crazy, not just Cain. But that Florida poll win gave him the impetus to ignore his inhibitions even more than normal. He thinks he has a voter-approved mandate to say dumb stuff.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

justintime
BANNED

382 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2011 :  06:31:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send justintime a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Herman Cain is the next best thing to happen to America after Obama. He deserves to be President and hopefully takes the country to the promised land with his 9,9,9. national tax reform.

He hates Islam and rightfully so. It has cost the US 2 trillion dollars treasure and blood chasing them.
He does not sympathize with the poor who are lazy and blames Wall Street for their problems.
He feels blacks are brain washed to vote democrats a party that only further enslaves blacks to welfare and social handouts.
He can say thing his white republican candidates are afraid to say.

Americans do not need a cult leader in Romney.
They do not need another cowboy Rick Perry in the White House soft on immigration and a slow thinker standing, sitting or lying down.
Michele Bachmann wishing Elvis happy birthday on his death anniversary failed to resurrect him. The country needs a miracle maker not another deluded christian.
Ron Paul would take the country so far back into the constitution. Most Americans will lose all the civil liberties they have fought for.
One has to be a racist not to vote for Herman Cain given the current pool Americans have to choose from.
Or they can vote for Obama just as black but he upholds the dignity of the poor and needy and the only adult in the room.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2011 :  07:16:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by justintime

Herman Cain is the next best thing to happen to America after Obama.
Because if he gets the nomination, Obama will have an easy win in 2012. Not as easy as if Bachmann were nominated, but still easy. Obama would only need to let Cain speak.

I'd much rather see the Republicans find a sane, responsible and constitutionally aware moderate to nominate, but they can't because their base is too extremist, crazy and ignorant.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2011 :  08:23:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wingnut-versus-wingnut. Alan Keyes speaking about Herman Cain:
When it comes to blaming American workers for the government-induced collapse of the most job-productive sectors of our economy, when it comes to excusing, shielding and defending the Federal Reserve System, when it comes to excusing the elite faction’s self-serving manipulation of the banking sector, Herman Cain’s dutiful apologetics are more than a match for anything we have seen from Barack Obama.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2011 :  09:04:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
justintime wrote:
Herman Cain is the next best thing to happen to America after Obama. He deserves to be President and hopefully takes the country to the promised land with his 9,9,9. national tax reform.
The 9,9,9 tax "reform" is a plan to appeal to voters who are really dumb when it comes to math and/or hate the poor. The facts: The result would be more taxes on the poor and working class, and the government possibly taking in less revenue overall.

the elimination of payroll taxes would result in shifting some of America's tax burden, making some poorer Americans pay more into the system while many middle- and upper-class Americans would pay less.

Most economists agree that a national sales tax would raise the relative tax burden on low- and middle-income earning taxpayers. "The main reason is that low- and middle-income households consume more of their income than high-income households do," said William Gale, senior fellow for economic studies at the Brookings Institution. "Another way of saying that is high-income households save more of their income than low-income households do."

The Washington Times published an opinion piece Sept. 25, 2011, that attempts to put a number to the plan. The story used total personal income figures generated from University of New Mexico's Bureau of Business and Economic Research to estimate that the 9 percent personal income tax would generate around $1.1 trillion a year (the figure appears to not include charitable deductions). It used U.S. Census figures to determine spending in the retail industry -- and calculated that a 9 percent national sales tax would generate around $380 billion. And, using a method that we don't completely understand, they estimated that a 9 percent corporate income tax rate would generate $270 billion. In total, that's about $1.8 trillion, though a rough, rough estimate. That number is about $360 billion less than what the government currently takes in -- about $2.16 trillion.

He hates Islam and rightfully so.
Cain has expressed bigotry (unwillingness to hire qualified candidates who happen to be Muslim, and his support for communities who would ban private mosques.) against all Muslims, including the overwhelming majority who are peaceful, law-abiding people, and many of whom are Americans.

It has cost the US 2 trillion dollars treasure and blood chasing them.
Want to explain that?

He does not sympathize with the poor who are lazy and blames Wall Street for their problems.
Oooooh, you're one of the poor-haters. That there is more poverty in rural and inner city areas isn't because there are less jobs and poorer education/social services. It's because rural and inner city folks are just more lazy. That there is more poverty among blacks isn't because of the complex and widespread effects of discrimination and legacy of slavery and segregation, it's that black people just tend to be more lazy. That there are more poor women than men isn't because of the complex and widespread effects of sexism, it's just that women tend to be more lazy. It's so simple... We should't help poor people or feel sympathy for them. Just let them wallow in their misery, lack of sufficient housing, health care, and food - they deserve it!

He feels blacks are brain washed to vote democrats a party that only further enslaves blacks to welfare and social handouts.
Not only are blacks more prone to laziness, but they are easily brainwashed!

He can say thing his white republican candidates are afraid to say.
Um, say what?

Americans do not need a cult leader in Romney.
More religious bigotry - yay!

They do not need another cowboy Rick Perry in the White House soft on immigration and a slow thinker standing, sitting or lying down.
Your political analysis is riveting!

Michele Bachmann wishing Elvis happy birthday on his death anniversary failed to resurrect him.
Yes, stupid Bachmann. Cain is so much smarter. And we all know that knowing Elvis's birth and death days is a much better intellectual qualifier for being president than being up to date on world politics such as the role Uzbekistan is playing in providing supply routes for US military in Afghaistan, the history and current issues involved in Israel/Palestine conflict and knowing the difference between the Constitution and Declaration of Independence.

The country needs a miracle maker not another deluded christian.
I agree. Now explain why you are supporting another deluded Christian candidate?

Ron Paul would take the country so far back into the constitution. Most Americans will lose all the civil liberties they have fought for.
The depth of your analysis is too much for me! I am in awe of your sophisticated brilliance! You manage to take incredibly complex issues that people have written whole books about and who many intelligent political experts have debated about continuously, and explained it all and come to a clear conclusion in a single line. You must be the greatest genius on the planet. Maybe you should run for president.

One has to be a racist not to vote for Herman Cain given the current pool Americans have to choose from.
So your political analysis is so iron-clad, your perspective so objective, that anyone who doesn't agree with you is racist. Mmmmmmm.

Or they can vote for Obama just as black but he upholds the dignity of the poor and needy and the only adult in the room.
Because the only reason anyone would vote for Obama is because he's black.

Go to Top of Page

justintime
BANNED

382 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2011 :  16:13:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send justintime a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The only long and short of why Americans have to pick another Black President. Blacks are resilient. In good times a white President is the obvious choice. But America is going through some very bad times. Huge National debt, bankruptcy, weak cowboy rhetoric, 9.1 % unemployment. These are the very conditions Blacks have had to deal with as a natural course in their struggle for the American Dream.

Obama demonstrated his dis-privileged background led him to the White House. No white American can match his aspiration with similar disadvantages only Blacks can.

White Americans will just have to be patient they are ready to take ownership after Martin Luther King has finally concluded his speech. His Dream that all Blacks are created equal among the whites.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2011 :  14:21:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Quoted on Dispatches:
"I don't have facts to back this up, but I happen to believe that these demonstrations are planned and orchestrated to distract from the failed policies of the Obama administration," Cain said Wednesday to the Associated Press during a book signing event. "Don't blame Wall Street, don't blame the big banks, if you don't have a job and you're not rich, blame yourself!"
Nice guy. So tight with the facts.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2011 :  19:35:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
SimTax of the Day:
Was Pokémon-quoting GOP presidential hopeful Herman Cain’s beloved 9-9-9 tax plan based on the in-game tax model designed by Maxis for 2003#8242;s SimCity 4?

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2011 :  05:23:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not that I think the experiment would be worth it, but it would be interesting to see how a president like Herman Cain would function in the office. What a lot of people don't seem to get is that presidential candidatates make all kinds of promises, but they are't legislators and they often up against all kinds of opposition from Congress once they have the position. How the hell would something as radical and dumb as throwing out the current tax system in its entirety and replacing it with 9-9-9 even get passed? The president's most powerful tool when it comes to policy and law is the veto. He/she can of course use the bully pulpit and have some strong advocacy, but it ultimately isn't going to be the president writing the bills, and they have to pass a lot of other powerful people before they finally get to the president. I imagine a president like Herman Cain (or any candidate on the left or right who is strongly aligned with the grassroots bases of conservatism or liberalism) would end up largely being a do-nothing president seeing as little that he uniquely advocates would go through, and he'd probably veto other proposals.

Edited by - marfknox on 10/14/2011 05:25:12
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.25 seconds.