Congrats, Cuneoformist
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2011 :  05:32:21  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You guys finished something started 90 years ago.

Asyrian Dictionary Complete

Well done!

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2011 :  06:06:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So that's where the rascal's been all this time; in Mesopotamian nerd heaven. I confess myself absolutely chartreuse with envy.

Well done!

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2011 :  12:40:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Awesome!

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

tw101356
Skeptic Friend

USA
333 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2011 :  05:44:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send tw101356 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All hail Darth Akkad!

- TW
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2011 :  10:46:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Neat.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2011 :  21:28:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ha! Thanks guys-- and thanks, Kil for prodding me to come post here after so many months of being a bit of an SFN delinquent. It's been a busy time-- I've moved (just a few miles away; still in Los Angeles), gotten engaged, and gotten a job, gotten a dog, plus work and research, etc.

The completion of the CAD is bittersweet for me. On the one hand (not to sound like those "I walked to school five miles uphill both ways" guys), when I was in grad school the CAD hadn't published R, P, T, Thet (a Semitic consonant), or U/W. So when you needed to look up those words, you had to go to some German-Akkadian dictionary. Or worse. New grad students have it easy.

And while I'm happy that it's "finished" it really isn't. The reality is that since its inception and the publication of early volumes, so much has been done since then. Some of the early CAD volumes were published over 50 years ago. Lots has happened with our understanding of Akkadian. New texts have been published and studied, and terms have been nuanced even more.

If I were running the show, I'd have applied for some grants to put out supplementary volumes updating and correcting earlier ones. But clearly, the people involved want to be done. I don't blame them, but I am also disappointed. Alas!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.