Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2011 :  05:40:25  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
…. albeit not for the best of reasons. What seems to have them ticked off is the fact that Ayn Rand was a furious atheist, and the teabaggers have embraced her and bathed in her philosophy like an Arkansas hog cooling off in the cesspool. Indeed, not the best of reasons, but with fundies you takes what you can get and this ain‘t all that bad.
During this time of financial crisis and talk of severe austerity measures in nearly every statehouse across the nation, the philosophy of author Ayn Rand has become a rallying cry for many leading Republicans who see her as something of a patron saint to American capitalism.

But before evangelicals fully commit to the tea party's favorite budget measures -- like eliminating Medicare and food aid for the poor -- one vocal Christian group thinks they should know something about the movement's famous figurehead.

Rand, perhaps best known for coining the philosophy of "Objectivism," was the author of numerous best-selling novels, including "Atlas Shrugged" and "The Fountainhead." Part and parcel with her philosophy is a complete separation of government and the economy -- an idea antithetical to progressives who see government partly as a policeman meant to protect individuals and communities from the worst abuses of power.

However, it's not just Rand's economic and regulatory arguments that has the non-profit advocacy group American Values Network (AVN) angsty: they want Republican evangelicals to know that Rand was also an atheist who quite literally hated Jesus. They've even produced a video to that effect.

I've never relly understood this "hate Jesus" nonsense. Do any of the ravening hoard of atheists here hate the legendary Nazarene? I don't. To hate something, you must first believe in it, further proving Rand to be a well-written moron and her followers drooling knuckle-draggers.

So let's heist a glass to the AVN; they've earned it, somewhat anyway.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2011 :  07:18:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Having been raised Christian and being quite familiar with the Gospels, I've never understood how the philosophy of Ayn Rand, which rejects altruism and embraces selfishness, has been adopted by the religious right. Her Objectivism much more appropriately has been a major influence on the Church of Satan, which rejects Christian morality not only because it is based on faith, but because they really think it is counter to human nature and happiness.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2011 :  08:43:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've never relly understood this "hate Jesus" nonsense. Do any of the ravening hoard of atheists here hate the legendary Nazarene?

I've seen words to that effect on this board

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2011 :  08:50:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by marfknox

Having been raised Christian and being quite familiar with the Gospels, I've never understood how the philosophy of Ayn Rand, which rejects altruism and embraces selfishness, has been adopted by the religious right. Her Objectivism much more appropriately has been a major influence on the Church of Satan, which rejects Christian morality not only because it is based on faith, but because they really think it is counter to human nature and happiness.
Yes. But these days, they seem pretty sure that Jesus would approve of laissez-faire capitalism despite any biblical evidence to the contrary. I guess they're willing to over look Rand's flaws because freedom in business with little or no regulation trumps everything else she was for.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2011 :  16:48:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

Do any of the ravening hoard of atheists here hate the legendary Nazarene? I don't.
Neither do I. There's no point in hating that which doesn't exist.

Some Christian ideas are clearly deserving of contempt, however.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2011 :  18:05:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by On fire for Christ

I've never relly understood this "hate Jesus" nonsense. Do any of the ravening hoard of atheists here hate the legendary Nazarene?

No doubt you have. In my experience the people who say things that way are often the 'angry new atheist', someone who runs on anger rather than thought, and hasn't yet learned how to express themselves in the context of their new-found philosophy. I was that way, I'll admit, and it took a while to grow out of it.

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Baculum's page: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3947338590
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2011 :  18:32:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by The Rat

No doubt you have. In my experience the people who say things that way are often the 'angry new atheist', someone who runs on anger rather than thought, and hasn't yet learned how to express themselves in the context of their new-found philosophy.
Actually, I very much doubt OFfC saw any such thing on this website. I can't recall a single poster claiming to hate Jesus. Some posters may have pointed out the deplorable actions of Yahweh as depicted in the bible, but I have a hard time imagining anyone of us expressing hatred for Christ (or anything approaching such a sentiment). But fundies tend to define "hate" extremely broadly, so who knows what he meant.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2011 :  02:20:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Would you like a link?

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2011 :  06:05:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Would you like a link?
Please, do post as many as possible, that we might put them in context. If could be a matter of interpretation. I imagine since you're Christian, your world view and interpretation of the world is fundamentally different from atheists and agnostics, is could be that your interpretation of what was written differs from how we perceived it.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2011 :  07:02:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://www.skepticfriends.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13407&whichpage=3

I think he's a cunt. A viscious, nasty, bully with an astoundingly corrupt moral set. If he wasn't a work of fiction I'd be glad they fuckin' crucified the bastard.

It seems like this guy hates Jesus, although maybe it's just because I'm Christian and I'm interpreting it wrongly.

Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2011 :  10:22:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It seems like this guy hates Jesus, although maybe it's just because I'm Christian and I'm interpreting it wrongly.
Ok, I didn't remember that guy. My apologies for doubting you.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

podcat
Skeptic Friend

435 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2011 :  11:13:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send podcat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You probably didn't remember him because he last posted in July of 2010. Also, welshdean says he's not a atheist.
http://www.skepticfriends.org/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=1476&

I believe in nothing; only my scepticism kept me from being an atheist.

He's not an SFN regular, either.
But nice try, OFFC.

“In a modern...society, everybody has the absolute right to believe whatever they damn well please, but they don't have the same right to be taken seriously”.

-Barry Williams, co-founder, Australian Skeptics
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2011 :  14:53:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote

http://www.skepticfriends.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13407&whichpage=3

I think he's a cunt. A viscious, nasty, bully with an astoundingly corrupt moral set.
If he wasn't a work of fiction I'd be glad they fuckin' crucified the bastard.

Emphasis in the quote above made by me.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2011 :  16:15:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote

He's not an SFN regular, either.
But nice try, OFFC.

All I said is "I've seen words to that effect on this board." Quoting from a regular would be pretty hard, since these forums only have about 8 regulars.

Go to Top of Page

podcat
Skeptic Friend

435 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2011 :  18:22:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send podcat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, quoting from a regular would be rather easy. You simply link to their post. Your saying there were "words to that effect on this board" was in response to filthy asking if any one "of the ravening hoard of atheists here hate the legendary Nazarene". I've shown your example not to be an atheist.

“In a modern...society, everybody has the absolute right to believe whatever they damn well please, but they don't have the same right to be taken seriously”.

-Barry Williams, co-founder, Australian Skeptics
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2011 :  12:27:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by The Rat

No doubt you have. In my experience the people who say things that way are often the 'angry new atheist', someone who runs on anger rather than thought, and hasn't yet learned how to express themselves in the context of their new-found philosophy. I was that way, I'll admit, and it took a while to grow out of it.

I do believe that I too had been guilty of such behavior. Not towards Jesus, I believe. I moved on when I realized that I was angry at myself for being deluded and played a fool for so long. So I would vent over zealously, attacking people who believe. Now more often than not I just blow off a response but sometimes I don't. It's no use getting worked up for nothing. I was wondering if OFFC was going to pull up something I might have said from my angry days. It's really just people doing what they shouldn't. We all know theists have said some stupid shit too but that don't make it right.

I was never a church goer but I believed there was a God, a well hidden one. SS

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.