Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2011 :  09:37:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Elmo the Clown

Originally posted by AnthroGeek

Originally posted by marfknox

I don't see how the church tax exemption is a violation of the Constitution since, as others have mentioned, it doesn't specially benefit any particular sect or even major religious body. I think that is stretching the interpretation too much, especially given the precedent that was set so long ago.

That said, I agree that most churches should be taxed for other reasons.

I think it is a violation based on how the wording is stated that the act of promotion of the religion itself is part of the reason that a church/religion receives the tax break. I think this has the potential of setting up the government in the nasty position of defining what is or is not a religion.

They are not promoting a religion.

As far as deciding what a religion is... That is a tough one. It is far more important however, no matter what can be invented as a religion, that the freedom be permitted to exercise it (without violating other's rights).

JeffersonOne of the amendments to the Constitution... expressly declares that 'Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof, or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press,' thereby guarding in the same sentence and under the same words, the freedom of religion, of speech, and of the press; insomuch that whatever violates either throws down the sanctuary which covers the others. --Thomas Jefferson: Draft Kentucky Resolutions, 1798. ME 17:382

It does not violate the Constitution because the wording is repecting an establishment of religion. So, no law can be made which gives any one religion special consideration or benefits that are not available to all other religions. This is how the Office of Faith Based Initiatives had an issue as those of non-Judeo-Christian background need not apply. While the law did not forbid any faith based initiative, the policies prevented all but Judeo-Christians from getting any of the cash.

For instance, I am part of a 501(c)3 religious based organization. That organization has unpaid officers (excepting travel mileage in some cases) and a great majority goes to the putting on of a 5 day festival for the religious community. Some goes for upkeep and advertising the event. (PO boxes, postage, printing, event insurance, first aid supplies, prison coorespondence, etc) It does not, however, do any political speech what-so-ever.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2011 :  09:48:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Look, getting Religions in the US off the taxed exempt status is not going to happen. There are a tonne of religious lobbyists out there and every politician with one working brain cell and their are many, won't touch this. There are activities that government do all the time which is illegal and forbidden by laws. George Bush got a lot of things wrong but one thing he got right was this on the Constitution: 'It's just a goddamned piece of paper'. As proof I say, when it comes to America's 'perceived' survival, gutting rights and guarantees in the Constitution and Bill of Rights have not stood in the way, has it? They have not. Domestic laws, international laws and treaties have not stood in the way either. It's the reality, like it or not.

Now here's a thought. Theist have been saying Atheism, the movement, is a religion. So we should not be arguing with them on this like we have but joint them and get the same taxed exempt status they have.

The trick with getting by in the world is not to complain about how fuck up one thing or another is and take them all on because there are way to many. Yes their are exceptions and somethings you have to take on. The trick is knowing which one's are a waste of your time complaining about or trying to change. We could try to understand the reality or factors that permit this and utilize those factors toward our own ends. In this case any effort or discussion on changing religions tax status will be a colossal waste for time for me beyond this. Others can continue ad infinitum, as with other threads. SS

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.