Politics
 Happy Birthday War on Drugs, Turns 40
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2011 :  01:46:12  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On June 17,1971 president Nixon said,
“If we cannot destroy the drug menace in America, then it will surely destroy us,” President Richard Nixon told Congress in a special message on June 17, 1971, that generally is credited as the day the “war on drugs” began.

That was 40 years ago, if the drug use "Old Ticky Dick" was referring to was capable of destroying us, then reality suggests He was wrong. Not only has America and the world not destroyed but according to reports "drug use is up" and America has the largest per capita prison rate of any other nation on the planet. Higher than Russia, China, N. Korea, and Iran, you name it it's the highest. More that 50% of our national prison population is imprisoned on drug violations. What a colossal waste of money and human misery. Just like all our wars after WWII. When will people who pay for it ever learn? When will they ever learn? SS

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2011 :  19:36:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote

The anti-drug folks have to realise one simple fact; illegal drugs do not cause all this crime, it's caused by the illegal drug trade. Get it out of the hands of criminals, we will save a lot of lives and a shitload of money.

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Baculum's page: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3947338590
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2011 :  12:21:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The most articulate and sensible arguments regarding what should be done about the drug war came from a speaker from LEAP (Law Enforcement Against Probhibition) I saw a few years ago. LEAP simply advocates that we get rid of Schedule 1 drugs. They take no stance on how the drugs should then be regulated, or what drugs should be available for medical or recreational use. They just think we need to get rid of the ban and the kind of penalties that cause more problems and solve none. A friend of mine's family was destroyed when they were discovered to be growing pot in their basement for their own personal use. The couple was put away for several years, and their child was put in foster care. All because they chose to possess and use a recreational drug less dangerous than alcohol. A retired cop from LEAP gave the talk I saw. My favorite part was when someone asked him, "But if we legalize drugs, won't they be more available to kids?" He smiled and said, "Tell you what, let's both of us go into any elementary school, and I'll try to find some pot, and you try to find a beer. Which one of us do you think is more likely to be successful?" He then of course went on about how when something is already illegal, the criminals peddling it have no qualms about using child labor or selling to kids.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Edited by - marfknox on 06/24/2011 12:22:51
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2011 :  22:00:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interestingly enough, Nixon appointed his own "Blue Ribbon commission" (not my words) called "The Shafer Commission". Hand picked by Nixon to do a comprehensive study of marihuana's affect's to, and dangers of use by, the general public and to came up with recommendations.
They did an extensive study and shocked The White House when their recommendation was to decriminalize marijuana and said a lot more about it too. It should have been the "WTF" heard around the world.

From an article written ten years ago on the 30th anniversary of the commission's report ,,,
The Shafer Commission issued its report on marijuana policy on March 22, 1972-30 years ago. President Nixon ignored the scientific advice he was given. The Netherlands, which had a similar commission, did not. Today, marijuana use in Holland is half that of the U.S.(*1)

Over 100,000 Americans die annually from consumption of alcohol.(*2) None (0) die from consumption of marijuana.(*3) 734,497 arrests were made for marijuana in 2000.(*4) Countless families destroyed.

Talk about being counter intuitive! Makes one wonder how today would be different if Nixon had followed the science, instead of his warped anti semitic leanings, cultural misconceptions and erroneous beliefs.
Remember the Nixon White House tapes? (maybe not) Anyway here are a few comments from Nixon's mouth.
Highlights of Nixon comments on marijuana:

* Jews and marijuana: "I see another thing in the news summary this morning about it. That's a funny thing, every one of the bastards that are out for legalizing marijuana is Jewish. What the Christ is the matter with the Jews, Bob, what is the matter with them? I suppose it's because most of them are psychiatrists . . ."
( No jackass! ,,,their mostly medical doctors. If your going to stereotype, at least stick to the standard one.)

* Marijuana and the culture wars: "You see, homosexuality, dope, immorality in general. These are the enemies of strong societies. That's why the Communists and the left-wingers are pushing the stuff, they're trying to destroy us."
* Marijuana compared to alcohol: marijuana consumers smoke "to get high" while "a person drinks to have fun." Nixon also saw marijuana leading to loss of motivation and discipline but claimed: "At least with liquor I don't lose motivation."
* Marijuana and political dissent: ". . . radical demonstrators that were here . . . two weeks ago . . . They're all on drugs, virtually all."
* Drug education: "Enforce the law, you’ve got to scare them."

On a final and personnel note. As a veteran, I'm sickened to see a day when Republicans and Fox News thinks and calls a "True American" someone who mindlessly marches, with all the other marionette's, mindlessly, accepting the most ridiculous logic outside any religious institution can embarrassingly spew forth.

Governor Shafer, of whom Nixon's commission was named, was in my mind a True American, one allowed to be a real part of government. Someone who today would be expunged (erased or struck out) from public service long before they they could achieve the position he had. He was in my mind a man of character. Evident by what he did and honorably noted in this article.
More importantly, Nixon made clear several times that he wanted a report which supported his views and 'tough on crime' policies, no matter what the facts might be. To his credit, Governor Shafer delivered instead an honest report, with conclusions based on all the evidence -- even though at the time he was being considered for a federal judgeship (needless to say, he didn't get it).

This shows the obstacles that Governor Shafer was confronted with when being considered for Judgeship. He proved he did not have the kind of character Nixon was looking for and gave up his appointment (he knew what he was doing). Does his experience, now public record, show what it takes to become a Federal Judge? I presented the facts, you decide. Welcome to reality. SS

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

podcat
Skeptic Friend

435 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2011 :  20:31:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send podcat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
See also:

Dr. Gabor Maté: Obama Admin Should Heed Global Panel’s Call to End "Failed" U.S.-Led Drug War
http://www.democracynow.org/2011/6/6/dr_gabor_mat_obama_admin_should

“In a modern...society, everybody has the absolute right to believe whatever they damn well please, but they don't have the same right to be taken seriously”.

-Barry Williams, co-founder, Australian Skeptics
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2011 :  22:39:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would be the last person to think that the US will never stop prosecuting marijuana anytime in the near future. There is to much money driving it. Look at the numbers. Going from 2009 to 2000, during the last ten years there have been 8,027,947 arrests. That's 8 million plus arrests. Think of all the Police, Judges, Prosecutors, their assistants and court personnel, including jail employees that process these people after their arrests. All the man hours that could be involved, that American taxes pay for. Not to mention all the lawyer costs the defendants end up paying for their defense. How could these people who's work is involved in all this be replaced, those paid hours of income? No, I can't see the government putting an end to this waste of working people's taxes, their money. This gravy train, this fiasco will not end. SS

Arrests for marijuana over ten years, 8,027,947.
* 2009 === 858,408 * 2006 === 829,627 * 2003 === 755,186
* 2008 === 847,864 * 2005 === 786,545 * 2002 === 847,863
* 2007 === 872,721 * 2004 === 771,608 * 2001 === 723,627
* 2000 === 734,498

Go to Top of Page

Celt

4 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2011 :  14:09:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Celt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Marijuana is like gambling if someone is going to do it they'll find a way of doing it regardless of whatever law is in place against it. Of course, that's what the government counts on in the end in order to keep raking in the revenues they collect from fines, court costs, etc.

Watching the government wage it's "war on drugs" is similar to watching PETA attack groups of people who own animals for various purposes. It's all about lining someone elses pocket, while dictating your own personal beliefs upon others, when it gets down to it.
Edited by - Celt on 07/25/2011 14:11:13
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds.