Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2011 :  16:06:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dude

If I had a few acres of land I'd very seriously consider growing a crop of rapeseed (aka canola) and making my own biodiesel. I'm pretty sure on an individual level you could grow enough of this without nitrogenous fertilizer to make enough biodiesel to get you through a year, and still be cost effective.

Just make friends with a local tavern and use their fryer grease! Then you can smell like French fries all the time.

Haole with heart, thats all I'll ever be. I'm not a part of the North Shore society. Stuck on the shoulder, that's where you'll find me. Digging for scraps with the kooks in line. -Offspring
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2011 :  16:15:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I am putting that level of effort into it, I want to make sure it is done in a way that minimizes my personal greenhouse gas footprint. Most canola is grown with fertilizer, that prettymuch fucks over the point of biodiesel.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2011 :  16:17:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bng's advice is perfect. I think it must be obvious now that iI am also in the business although not on the sales end of it. You'd be surprised how easy it is to find a one year old vehicle with 12-15k miles. You can easily save up to 10k, have the remainder of the manufacturer warranty, and get the same interest rates as a new vehicle. That's how I buy my vehicles. The only reason I am getting the VW Tiguan is because they have some ridiculously cheap lease terms for employees right now.

Haole with heart, thats all I'll ever be. I'm not a part of the North Shore society. Stuck on the shoulder, that's where you'll find me. Digging for scraps with the kooks in line. -Offspring
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2011 :  16:39:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, a 2 year old car with 25k or less, especially one of the ones with a 10year/100k mile warranty, is the place to be buying. Always good advice.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2011 :  23:23:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Everybody is giving you such good solid advice - its all very boring, so I feel it is my duty to add a little irrational flare:

Consider how much you are willing to pay or if you want to put down half and have the credit union match the rest in a loan. Consider all the good, reliable, practical, fuel efficient cars out there - then:
buy a used car that excites you aesthetically and is somewhat rare, beautiful and very likely unreliable and prone to leaking oil and rust. If it excites you, buy it, fix it up as best you can and drive it. Impractical? of course. Consider an old Tatra or a Facel Vega or an Avanti. It won't be sensible but it will be fun.
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2011 :  05:06:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

The more I look at the Honda Fit, the more I like the way it looks. But I haven't seen inside one yet.
Last summer we were looking to replace my wife's '93 Accord. She did not like the new accords since she though they had got too big. So I got the '06 even though that was bought to replace her '93 5 years ago. I test drove the Fit manual shift and it got up to highway speeds quick enough. The ride was a little bumpy and the road noise seemed a little loud. We wound up buying a Honda Civic manual shift, 19K. On the highway we get about 36-38 around town 29-31 mpg. Big thing is that it was about the same size as the '93 accord which I immediately sold.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2011 :  06:57:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Big thing is that it was about the same size as the '93 accord which I immediately sold.
I bought my Corolla 2 years ago and in the various showrooms we ended up in I couldn't believe how much bigger the cars have gotten. The new Accords look like friggin' boats. We were looking at Honda Civics too, which surprised me since I remembered how small my high school boyfriend's Civic had been.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2011 :  07:04:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nobody has recommended Toyotas, but it occurs to me that I should mention my recent experience with one, just in case that becomes a consideration. Everyone knows about Toyota's recent problems. Unfortunately I became a victim of their mistakes as well. I received a recall notice last year about a faulty part that might impact all Corollas going back to 2006. The notice said that the replacement part wasn't ready yet and that I'd receive a second notice when it was. If in the meantime the part in question broke, my engine would fail - obviously rather dangerous. Two weeks ago I was about to go on a 2 week vacation to visit family in Ohio, and the part broke suddenly the night before. I had the car towed to a dealership. Toyota payed for the repair, but they would not pay for the rental car I had to use for 2 whole weeks (I had no other option since the next time we can visit family won't be until March of next year.) I'm pretty pissed about the whole thing mostly because I fail to see how it took them more than 6 months to get the replacement parts. But I suppose I should be grateful that the part didn't break while I was on the highway in the middle of nowhere, PA with my 22 month old daughter in the car.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2011 :  07:50:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I have to recommend Subaru. A few years ago I took over my in-law's '96 Legacy wagon after they had beaten the crap out of it (they seem to think that crashing/scraping a car at least once a year is just normal) and then my work as a courier heaped more high-mileage abuse on it. And, to be perfectly frank, I wasn't taking care of it much either, waiting far too long between oil changes was a major faux pas. But it still lasted until the odometer was about to turn over to 880,000 kilometres, it was about 200km shy. So rather than cheat on it when it finally died I got another one, a 2001 with just under 200,000km on the clock. I am taking much better care of this one, so it should give me good service.

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Baculum's page: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3947338590
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2011 :  09:32:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd have to suggest that the Ford Focus is a pretty nice car and easy on the fuel. Since you have highway driving most of the time the numbers should work out well.

2012 Ford Focus SE with Select-shift (37 highway) Fuel injected 4 cylander. 160 horses at 6500 rpm and 137 foot pounds of torque at 3700 rpm. ($18,500 build your own price on ford.com for the 2012 model)

I'd suggest (as others have) with going with a 2011 model as you aren't paying for the privledge of owning the car first (plus, they are interested in getting rid of old stock before the new ones come in).

It's a Ford and I have had good luck with them. They are domestic so parts aren't that expensive. Decent warrantees as well.

I've also got a real good dealership near me that services the beast I drive (2002 Ford Windstar, 140,000 miles 16/18 rated but in practice 17/21). Their service department sends me coupons for discounted mainenance services. (got an oil change for $9.95)

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2011 :  16:43:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Given the horrible noises that have just started coming from my car, my plan of doing careful research and multiple test drives of various vehicles may have to be scrapped. I no longer have weeks to get a new car, it's now more like days.

And it's too damn hot to be wandering around car lots.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2011 :  16:58:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Chippewa suggests...
Everybody is giving you such good solid advice - its all very boring, so I feel it is my duty to add a little irrational flare:buy a used car that excites you aesthetically and is somewhat rare, beautiful and very likely unreliable and prone to leaking oil and rust. If it excites you, buy it, fix it up as best you can and drive it. Impractical? of course. Consider an old Tatra or a Facel Vega or an Avanti. It won't be sensible but it will be fun.
Hell, if you want excitement and start down that road, go find a low-mile 5 to 8 year old sports car and begin to ride in real style.

I just bought a '05 T-bird with 28000 easy miles on it for 22K. Talk about beautiful! Both soft top and hard top, 280DOHC HP V8, good performance, no Corvette, but a real head-turner anywhere you go.

Actually you can get a 03-05 Corvette in top condition with about 40K miles for under $30K - I just looked at a '04 beauty the guy was asking 25K for - and blow the socks off of most Ferraris. Not the best gas mileage, however. This car sold new for about $45000 in 2003.

I have to confess that although I only paid 22 plus change for the T-bird, I have it now in a Seattle performance shop for the major surgery of an new 'Vette Z06 engine transplant, plus twin APS Turbos, so I'm not about to get much gas economy from it. The engine transplant is going to cost about as much as the car cost, so this is no economy endeavor. But boy, that puppy ought to go! And nobody expects an '05 T-bird to keep up with the big boys at 0 to 90 away from the stoplight! (I usually try to bribe the inevitable cop. Seldom works) Hot cars are a part of my adolescence that I can't get rid of - I spent five years hopping old Fords before I was 20!

If driving is one of your pleasures, a really good, lightly driven "pre-owned" (dealercrap for used) American sports car in the best buy in the world! You have to watch out for cars that have been track raced, however!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2011 :  19:45:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by bngbuck

Dave.....

Having been a car dealer for many years and still highly exposed to the inside of the vehicle industry (my wife is the comptroller for a mega-dealer), I would offer these comments:

1. A late-model (1 to 3 model years back), low-mileage used car is a vastly better investment than any new car. Depreciation frequently runs 25 to 40 percent in the first two years. Low mileage is very important.
Well, I'm certainly not looking at a car as an investment. I run my cars into the ground. My Saturn has maybe a $500 resale value, because it's been a POS for a few years already. The headliner is falling off, I never had the hail dents fixed, the windshield is almost opaque with scratches and dings... But, the tires have less than 30K miles on them, and I own the last official unscratched Saturn-embossed 1998 SL1 rear bumper cover in the world.

I don't think that $15K for 12.4 years of service was a bad deal.

But holy cow, I just went and found a local dealer selling a year-old Honda Fit with 19K miles on it for an asking price of more than the MSRP of the 2012 new version with comparable trim. If that's the kind of crap I'm going to see with used cars in general, I may as well buy new.
2. Buying from an individual will always result in a better price than from a dealer - if you have even average negotiation skills.
I no longer have the time to arrange payment for a purchase from an individual. Dealers (from what I understand) will know what to do if I show up on a lot with credit-union financing in hand.
3. Credit union financing is almost always better than dealer-arranged financing - (Banks kick back to dealers).
Not a problem.
4. Your credit bureau rating (credit score) is very important in obtaining a decent loan. Hopefully over 700. Check all three bureaus before you finance.
Almost anybody can get financing for a new car, but poor credit means high interest. Better credit is needed for a used car purchase.
My credit union has posted auto-loan rates online, without reference to credit scores.
5. On any new or late model used car, get the Kelley Blue Book value before you shop. Blue Book is available on line.
Natch.
6. Used car dealers will always charge more for the same exact vehicle than new car dealers. However, if you don't know the Kelley value or what your credit rating is, the new dealer will try to screw the hell out of you. The used car dealer usually has to screw the hell out of you, as he does not have the balance of a parts and service department and new car sales to offset the lower used car profit average.
I wasn't planning on heading to any dealers of only used cars. The new-car dealers around here all have some used inventory. If I decide to go used, I may have to opt for a color or trim that wouldn't be my first choice, but we can't be a single-car family for very long.
7. Always check Carfax (available for a small fee online) before buying any used car. Carfax is honest.
Yup.
8. a. Decide firmly on the make, model, size and model, and bells and whistles that you want before starting shopping. Stick to it.
That's going to be more difficult now that this is a near emergency.
9. Shop on line first, then take the information you have acquired and compare to local newapaper listings, local dealers (especially large new car dealers), and any free specialty publications (Thrifty Nickle, etc.) that you find in grocery stores, etc.
Ditto this. I'm still going to start online, but I don't have time to do everything I probably should do.
10. Finally, if you decide on any Chrysler or General Motors product, send me an e-mail and I will give you the honest rock-bottom price that the world's largest Dodge dealer and largest Northwest U.S. GM dealer will offer. Dave Smith Motors in Kellogg, Idaho is one of the ten largest dealers in the US, sells to every state in the US. and frequently ships for delivery across country. It is primarily an Internet marketing system, and through exceptionally low pricing, they have become one of the largest dealers in the US. Shipping cost and/or travel cost to pick up may make a Dave Smith price higher than a local dealer; but it certainly is a handy price to quote to any local dealer that has the car you want. If they sell Chrysler/Dodge or GM, they will know of Dave Smith.
I doubt this will be a help, but thanks for the offer. Consumer Reports offers a similar service for any make of car for a small fee.
11. The average dealer markup across the United States on a new vehicle (20K to 40K) is about $2500. Most will sell for $1500. A very few will sell for $1000 or less. Edmunds (on line) will give you the new car dealer cost pretty close to accurate. It is very useful in negotiation.
See #10, I think.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2011 :  19:58:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Chippewa

Everybody is giving you such good solid advice - its all very boring, so I feel it is my duty to add a little irrational flare:

Consider how much you are willing to pay or if you want to put down half and have the credit union match the rest in a loan. Consider all the good, reliable, practical, fuel efficient cars out there - then:
buy a used car that excites you aesthetically and is somewhat rare, beautiful and very likely unreliable and prone to leaking oil and rust. If it excites you, buy it, fix it up as best you can and drive it. Impractical? of course. Consider an old Tatra or a Facel Vega or an Avanti. It won't be sensible but it will be fun.
That's what I did when I bought my 1967 Mustang. The guy knew it was a crap car, so much so that when I showed up at his house with the money, he'd had a twinge of guilt that made him lop $100 off his "firm" price.

It leaked transmission fluid. Leaked it right onto the exhaust, so that whenever I stopped, there were clouds of stinky smoke coming out from under the car. And I had to put a quart of xmission fluid in every two weeks or so. I tried fixing that leak, more than once. My repairs never took.

And it had sat under a tree in a driveway for four years, so there was all sorts of dry-rotted rubber, and tree sap baked into the heavily oxidized paint. When it rained, it wouldn't start because there'd be an intense light display under the hood as the spark-plug wires arced everywhere. I replaced them and the fuel pump and the rubber fuel lines within the first month.

But it was sweet anyway. The previous-previous owner had set it up for racing. When I got it, it still had the ladder bars and the huge Holley 750 carb on its poor little 289. Stomp on the gas and the engine would die for a split second as it got flooded, and then you'd shoot forward like a rocket, the fuel gauge almost visibly descending towards "E."

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2011 :  20:03:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
By the way, all the fixer-upper advice will be falling on deaf ears. I've got no garage, and the only reason I bought a new car in 1998 is that I realized back then I was sick of repairing cars. The biggest repair I've done myself since then is replacing the battery in my wife's car, and even that was something that I complained about the whole time (damn those rusted nuts!). I only did it because of the absolutely ridiculous amount of money my shop wanted for the same job (more than four times what I paid).

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.33 seconds.