Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2011 :  22:09:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

The deed is done. Given the scarcity of the cars I was interested in, the manufacturer's prohibition of specific orders and the low manufacturer incentives for the cars, I quickly realized that the money I might save doing "hard" negotiations with dealers would be eaten up in rental-car fees, the time off work I would need to take, and the expense of driving to another state.

It's a nice car, not great, but the paint is an awesome color, the radio works well and it's easy to make it hit 99.9 MPG. I'm sure I didn't pay the least I could, but I did pay less than invoice.

Now, I've just gotta do the math to figure out whether Hyundai's "Tires for Life" deal is worth it. I have 5,000 miles before I need to decide, though.
They have a 100,000 mile warranty, right? Transferable?

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2011 :  22:16:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

They have a 100,000 mile warranty, right?
It's 10 years/100K drivetrain, 5 years/60K bumper-to-bumper defects; 7 years/unlimited rust perforation, and 5 years/unlimited 24-hours roadside assistance.
Transferable?
Dunno. I have no plans on transferring the car to anyone for a long, long time.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2011 :  22:32:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Originally posted by Kil

They have a 100,000 mile warranty, right?
It's 10 years/100K drivetrain, 5 years/60K bumper-to-bumper defects; 7 years/unlimited rust perforation, and 5 years/unlimited 24-hours roadside assistance.
Transferable?
Dunno. I have no plans on transferring the car to anyone for a long, long time.
Oh. I don't know why I thought it was used. Pretty freaking good warranty though.

Congratulations!

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2011 :  22:33:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
By the way, the financial person kept trying to push a 10-year/100K-miles "bumper-to-bumper" warranty for what would have been almost $6,000 over the life of the loan. It would have blown my pre-arranged financing limit by over $2,000, and the 115% cap on my loan by a lot more, and thus would have forced me to go with Hyundai's higher interest rates.

On the other hand, she assumed that I wasn't going to be interested in the paint protection, even though she made a point of telling me that she always gets it for her cars. Yeah, right.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2011 :  22:38:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

Oh. I don't know why I thought it was used.
Dunno, either. I had to go with a new car to get the gas mileage I wanted. All the used inventory in this area is from before Hyundai's 2011 redesign of the cars which got them to 30/40.
Pretty freaking good warranty though.
A hell of a lot better than most other manufacturers.
Congratulations!
Thanks. Let's hope some hidden thing doesn't bite me in the ass in a few months/years.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2011 :  01:40:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dave......

I understand you have concluded your purchase and any advice is too late now, but I am answering your very sensible question for the benefit of others who may be curious. You asked:
How can I protect myself from a new car dealer selling me a stolen car?

If a dishonest dealer is selling new cars that have been stolen from other dealer's lots, or a new buyer's driveway, etc.; the crooked dealer must provide a forged MSO for the stolen car.

Depending on the quality of the forging and the diligence and honesty of the DVD that issues the title, he gets caught by DVD or not. Typically small rural cities or counties are less diligent than large metro in processing MSO's into titles. Every year the computerized national base of stolen vehicles gets better and the practice of selling stolen vehicles gets harder for a crooked dealer. The practice today is most prevalent in small rural areas in mostly southern states and generally involves some form of collusion with dishonest DMV employees and crooked dealers.

You cannot totally safeguard against the practice, but if you buy from an large established dealer in a large metro area (like the Beltway), you are unlikely to be screwed by getting a stolen or improperly acquired car. It generally isn't worth the risk of losing his license (and maybe jail time) to a large dealer that does high volume. But bribery and kickback to state employees and local police authorities to manipulate title documentation certainly exists in some parts of this country, particularly rural areas with dishonest politicians. If you do end up with a stolen car, considerable legal action is required to either get your money (if you paid cash) back; or unwind the deal through the financing source.
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2011 :  02:15:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dave.....

How does anyone figure it out without years of experience, which I don't have time to accrue?
Damn few do, most pay way more than they have to, and that's why there are so many car brands, car dealers, and so much car-related commerce in the US. A dealership license is damn near a license to steal in any state, and a hell of a lot of dishonest politics is sometimes involved in acquiring a license.

As I said before, car dealers that stay in business a few years get RICH, off of people that just don't use their heads properly when they buy a car. An amazing percentage of car sales are impulse buying, which is an invitation to get fucked over.

Generally, (not much recently) real estate appreciates. It's much harder to get screwed on a house or property than it is a car. Yet, cars are the second biggest investment that most people make in their lifetime. Most new cars lose thousands of dollars value as soon as you drive it off the dealer's lot. And almost everybody pays too much. So it's not only a lousy investment, it's just throwing money away. There are always others to catch it. I've been one in the past.

You made a good choice in the Hyundai brand. One of the best bangers for your bucks. A high value car. You probably paid just about what everybody does and gave the dealer a couple of grand. Don't feel bad, there are millions that do it every year and never think twice about it. That's what the car business is all about.

At least you've got good brand for trade-in later if you don't drive it over 50K miles and take care of it. And if you learn from the experience and some of the information that has been given in this thread, you can easily save a thousand or more next time if you just don't get in too much of a hurry.
Edited by - bngbuck on 07/25/2011 02:31:39
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2011 :  02:24:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cune.....

What's your opinion of Carmax, bngbuck?
Probably the most hosest megadealer corporation in the US. Same rules apply, but they are a reasonably low-profit margin used operator. Generally, used car margins are much higher than new (which are high enough) but Carmax operates an enormous used car business on new car profit margins because of their gigantic volume. Same principle as Dave Smith. The more you sell, the lower you can (and usually do) go. Means generally a good place for any one to buy a used car! You still have to understand a little about the business, negotiate, and not be in too big a hurry to buy to get the best deal possible, tho"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.