Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Community Forums
 General Discussion
 Decommissioning of the flying death trap AKA...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2011 :  15:17:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by The Rat
I am not against manned spaceflight where warranted, but that warrant is getting smaller with every advance in robotics. And the cost savings are enormous. If anyone would care to calculate what it would have taken to obtain the science done by Spirit and Opportunity on the surface of Mars by replacing them with people, I'm willing to bet that most people would be knocked on their asses.

What I feel is important is the colonization of elsewhere.
Presently, we have all eggs on one basket. One bad asteroid hit and humanity is gone. I want to see at least one extra-terrestrial colony, preferably two which are self-reliant and can go on if something bad happens.

Just consider how much could have been done with a fraction of USA's defence budget today...

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2011 :  02:06:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote

The risk to human life is something you have to face when exploration is being done. Nobody was forced to go.

I'm not on board with this whole "They want to go" point. Of course they were not forced. Just because you have volunteers, it doesn't mean you can play Russian roulette.

The more important argument is that taxpayers were forced to foot the bill for something that was basically a waste of money. Most of the cost goes toward ensuring that the human occupants are safe and healthy during the voyage, and the science that they accomplish is negligible. Unmanned vehicles only work on sunlight and/or a small nuclear reactor. They can wait patiently for years, or even decades, to get close to their target if necessary, no boredom, no insanity from looking at the same faces all the time.

I'm curious, what are the risks of launching a nuclear device on the back of a chemical rocket? But I agree with your point on unmanned exploration.

Can you imagine being a human on the sort of mission it takes to rendezvous with a comet or asteroid, or one of the outer planets? Cruel and unusual punishment in my opinion. The only thing you will learn is how long it takes for insanity to take over.

even if they volunteer?

I am not against manned spaceflight where warranted, but that warrant is getting smaller with every advance in robotics. And the cost savings are enormous. If anyone would care to calculate what it would have taken to obtain the science done by Spirit and Opportunity on the surface of Mars by replacing them with people, I'm willing to bet that most people would be knocked on their asses.

It's pretty hard to compare since humans are way more versatile. But if you compared cost to benefit I think the rovers did an amazing job.

What I feel is important is the colonization of elsewhere.
Presently, we have all eggs on one basket. One bad asteroid hit and humanity is gone. I want to see at least one extra-terrestrial colony, preferably two which are self-reliant and can go on if something bad happens.

I have some problems with this too. Having self sufficient extra-terrestrial colonies would obviously be good (unless they rebelled and started an interplanetary war...). But the whole idea is totally implausible with today's technology, I mean we are not even close. You would need a suitable destination, you would need to be able to launch massive amounts of supplies and equipment into space and you would need some method of shielding the crew from radiation, to name but a few problems...

I think a far cheaper method would be to create several bunkers on Earth that could protect people from an extinction event. I think this is entirely plausible, given our current technology.

Go to Top of Page

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2011 :  05:32:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by On fire for Christ

It's pretty hard to compare since humans are way more versatile. But if you compared cost to benefit I think the rovers did an amazing job.

I'm not certain that the versatility of humans is much of a selling point any more, robotics are getting even better than they are now, sooner or later there will be no argument for humans as far as I can see. But it was an issue in the early days. If Neil Armstrong hadn't taken control of Eagle at the last moment the autoland was going to drop them into a boulder field where they may have tipped over and crashed. But that is really only a concern with humans on board, because you have to land gently to avoid injury, and then take off again. With a robot you can just use those giant airbags that have become fashionable and smack into the surface, roll a bit and stop, then deploy. And unless you're running a sample return mission you can just leave it there.

Manned spaceflight isn't going away because it's so expensive, it's going away because robotics are so much cheaper.

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Baculum's page: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3947338590
Go to Top of Page

alienist
Skeptic Friend

USA
210 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2011 :  12:39:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send alienist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
PZ Myers has a summary of all the problems with the space shuttle. It turns out it was much more dangerous than the public realized.

http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2011/07/the_space_shuttle_gets_a_reaso.php

I am still wondering if there were any benefits to the space shuttle or could robots have done just as much.

The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well! - Joe Ancis
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2011 :  13:05:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by alienist

PZ Myers has a summary of all the problems with the space shuttle. It turns out it was much more dangerous than the public realized.

I am still wondering if there were any benefits to the space shuttle or could robots have done just as much.
lA robot could not have fixed Hubble. There were many space shuttle missions that required humans to pull them off. Cost vs. benefit? I dunno... What do you think the international space station is worth, or Hubble? How do you even measure the advancements in our knowledge of space science that Hubble has delivered on? It would have stopped working years ago if not for the shuttle...

We had to start somewhere. And we would probably have had something better even now if there had been funding for it.

Call it a death trap and call it a lemon. But geez some good science happened because we had it.

And I too would have gone if given the chance.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2011 :  15:16:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

A robot could not have fixed Hubble.

True, but it shouldn't have needed fixing in the first place. There were undoubtedly some servicing missions that needed people, but many of the flights were just another exercise in sending humans up, keeping them alive, and bringing them down. We were doing that in 1961.

Originally posted by Kil

And I too would have gone if given the chance.

As would I.

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Baculum's page: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3947338590
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2011 :  18:27:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I'm not certain that the versatility of humans is much of a selling point any more, robotics are getting even better than they are now, sooner or later there will be no argument for humans as far as I can see.

I can see versatility still being a big factor. A human being can simply pick up a rock and examine it, break it, take a sample, dig a hole, anything you want. The mars rovers had very limited capabilities and were confined by the amount of power their solar cells could provide, they were also limited by the risk of them falling or getting stuck. Of course you could throw more money at it, but when you add more complexity to robotics, the failure rate increases.

Originally posted by alienist

I'm not trying to be funny here but his blog entry sucks compared to mine.

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2011 :  01:40:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not trying to be funny here but his blog entry sucks compared to mine.

PZ has a bit higher blogging frequency than you have. His time does not allow for more. If you had as little time, I'm sure yours would suck more.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2011 :  14:37:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah he's probably way too busy helping people....

Go to Top of Page

alienist
Skeptic Friend

USA
210 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2011 :  15:09:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send alienist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmmm... Blog envy?

The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well! - Joe Ancis
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2011 :  15:21:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Yeah he's probably way too busy helping people....
Actually, he included useful links that also linked to pages where I learned a lot. He didn't have to say much.

I learned a great deal more moving from his site to other useful pages than I could ever have learned from what you wrote. But don't feel too badly. After all, you used more words... I know how hard it is to write an article, so I'll give you that. At least your shuttle blog wasn't full of, well...

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2011 :  01:58:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
mine also had more pictures.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.