Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2011 :  08:55:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

Originally posted by Randy

Here's a translation link with the story....
http://tinyurl.com/43y4xq7
Yeah. Got it. Took me a while. I had to tiny it too.

Ha, saw that then deleted and changed my reply.

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2011 :  08:57:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Say Kil, did you notice Dennis is now spamming the petition site.
Whaddawacko!

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2011 :  09:05:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Markuze tried to register here 19 hours ago (as of this writing). His attempt was automatically blocked.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2011 :  09:20:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Randy

Say Kil, did you notice Dennis is now spamming the petition site.
Whaddawacko!
Yeah. And he's also sending messages to the police via twitter. He's starting to panic.

The best place to see how this is transpiring is at:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/142820632412684/

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2011 :  09:22:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Markuze tried to register here 19 hours ago (as of this writing). His attempt was automatically blocked.
19 hours ago? It almost would have been worth seeing what he has to say right now. He knows he's in trouble.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2011 :  11:16:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

The best place to see how this is transpiring is at:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/142820632412684/

Only FB members can access that link. Other updates can be had here written by the petition originator Kyle VanderBeek. SS

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2011 :  11:34:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

19 hours ago? It almost would have been worth seeing what he has to say right now. He knows he's in trouble.

The block works for me. I'm sure he would have disappointed you, Kil, with more of the same. He really isn't that creative after all. I would think 19 hrs ago the police were still in the doughnut shop and Dennis would have yet to have been inspired to change. After all it was reported yesterday that Dennis was posting threats on the change.org site and elsewhere. SS

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2011 :  12:11:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Montreal police investigating alleged threats made against atheists

It's made it to local television is Montreal. Dennis needs to lawyer up.

ctvmontreal.ca
MONTREAL — Following a deluge of thousands of complaints from around the world, Montreal police have launched an investigation into a St. Laurent man accused of making hundreds, if not thousands of deadly threats.
The man is believed to be Dennis Markuze, but uses a variety of pseudonyms when online, including David Mabus and Hebert Marxuxe.
Complainants say that he creates accounts on Twitter or on message boards then starts insulting, harassing, and threatening atheists, scientists, and journalists with profanity-laden messages telling people that they will be executed and subjected to the judgement of God.
In October 2010 Markuze showed up at the Atheist Alliance International conference in Montreal, where he was recognized and challenged by attendees before he left.
Someone identifying themselves as Markuze then went online to the Humanist Canada website and wrote: "believe me, the only reason the photo is available is because I WANTED IT OUT THERE.... actually it is quite a flattering photo of me: With finger cocked and pointing, I say "And I gotta take out these idiots!"
Many people say they have complained to the Montreal police department in the past few years but that no investigation was ever launched.
Police have said that any investigation would be difficult because while Markuze lives in Montreal, many of his alleged victims live in other countries.
That changed this week, when more than 3,000 people signed a petition calling on police to investigate reports of death threats. Each signature resulted in an email to police.
Kyle VanderBeek, a San Francisco man who started the petition, says the threats are disconcerting and he wanted to act now instead of waiting for things to escalate.
VanderBeek says while testy exchanges are common online, alleged threats of decapitations, executions and genocide are not.
Montreal police have posted several messages on their own Twitter account, assuring people they are investigating and asking them to stop bombarding police with messages.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2011 :  12:23:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fantastic turn of events, especially with the local media getting the story out, all thanks to the on-line petition.
Now, I(we)hope he gets the help he needs.

-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2011 :  13:05:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Huh, I wasn't previously aware of this guy. Creepy, how obsessed he is. I signed the petition and shared and FB.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2011 :  13:22:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From NEWS CANADA

Montreal cops probe Internet death threats

MONTREAL - Police have opened up a criminal investigation into accusations that a Montreal man has been sending death threats to people around the world who are skeptical about the paranormal and don’t share his spiritual beliefs.

The man has allegedly been harassing people under many pseudonyms, including “David Mabus.”

An online petition demanding Montreal police probe the death threats accusations has received over 4,000 signatures. Each online signature sends an automatic e-mail to the police force.

Police got so many e-mails that they send out a tweet Wednesday night asking people to stop sending messages because they have opened up an investigation.

The online petition noted that “anyone who associates with scientifically and skeptically minded people ... is likely to become a target for unsettling rants and threats to their life and well-being.”

QMI Agency tracked down the mother of “David Mabus,” Eva Markuze, who confirmed that her son, Dennis Markuze, 36, is the man police are looking for.

She said her son lives with her, and is currently in Ottawa and can’t be reached for comment.

Eva said she doesn’t believe the accusations.

“That’s ridiculous,” she said. “(My son) would not even kill a fly. Maybe they don’t understand his message or something.”

Tim Farley, who runs a blog about skepticism and critical thinking, said he understands Markuze’s messages quite well.

Farley, who lives in Atlanta, said he’s received at least 60 death threats since January from Twitter accounts he claims belong to someone named Markuze.

“Everyone I know on Twitter has gotten spam from him,” Farley said.

Farley said the Montreal police told him they couldn’t do anything about the threats because all the complaints have come from outside Canada.

However, Farley said an officer told him Thursday morning that a Montrealer has come forward claiming to be threatened.

Markuze’s mom said that her son told her he isn’t afraid of going to jail.

“He said, ‘What do you want me to do? If they want to take me to prison let them take me to prison. What can I do?’” she said.

She said that her son has the right to talk and tell the truth.

“I thought this was a free country,” she said. “Maybe he is misunderstood, but definitely I am not scared of his work.

"I am not scared at all about what he is doing. I am the mother. And mothers know best.”

I should mention that many of these updates are being supplied to us by Tim Farely.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2011 :  13:24:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
By the way, under Canadian criminal code, Criminal Harassment (section 264) is punishable by up to ten years in prison, and Uttering Threats (section 264.1) is good for five years. Per count, of course.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2011 :  13:27:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by marfknox

Huh, I wasn't previously aware of this guy. Creepy, how obsessed he is. I signed the petition and shared and FB.
Do you remember the Nostradamus guy with the five legged lamb? He's posted here so often under sockpuppet names, that I don't know how you missed him. Lucky I guess...

And yeah. For years he has been threatening atheists, skeptics and scientists with death. His posts usually contain a series of links that make no sense.

He also emails some of us, including me. And on this site he has made a threat against my life, even though I didn't take it seriously and still dont.

Major creepy! And clearly mentally disturbed.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2011 :  13:33:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

By the way, under Canadian criminal code, Criminal Harassment (section 264) is punishable by up to ten years in prison, and Uttering Threats (section 264.1) is good for five years. Per count, of course.
Dave. They have one guy in Montreal willing to press charges and testify against him. He has to have made a death threat against the person in order for the charge to stick. Tim Farely has asked for other people in Montreal to step up with the stipulation that a death threat against them has been made. That's what the cops are asking for. They can proceed with one person, given all of the mail and posts that can be produced from around the world, but another person in Montreal would be even more damning.

But shit. I don't know why it has to be a person from Montreal? It seems to me that anyone in Canada should do. But there you go...

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2011 :  19:42:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know if all of you can see this. But Dennis has taken to offering to give up doing what he does if everyone backs off and I suppose if charges are not filed. This was sent to a few people via twitter. One of them was Tim Farely. "You stop pursuing us and we’ll stop pursuing you and we will forgive and forget."

Here's a link to his tweets:

https://twitter.com/#!/johnhog39399959 I'm sure if you have twitter you will be able to see it. He knows he's in deep doo doo...

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds.