Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2011 :  10:29:57  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Had a house fire Monday (well, a condo fire, same thing more or less). Not a complete loss, but my repair and restoration bill is going to be somewhere between $20k to $25k.

The only occupant was my cat, she was killed by the smoke.

Now here is the comical part...

FL passed a provision last year that requires all of the old condos down here to upgrade their fire alarm systems and install sprinklers by 2019. My insurance expired in April and because by building is not up to the new code the cost was going to be more than double. ($950 a year to $2100 a year) I own the unit outright, no mortgage, so I decided to shop around a bit.

I was still shopping on Monday when the fire happened.

Pocket is going to feel this one for a good long while!

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2011 :  10:42:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dude

Had a house fire Monday (well, a condo fire, same thing more or less). Not a complete loss, but my repair and restoration bill is going to be somewhere between $20k to $25k.

The only occupant was my cat, she was killed by the smoke.

Now here is the comical part...

FL passed a provision last year that requires all of the old condos down here to upgrade their fire alarm systems and install sprinklers by 2019. My insurance expired in April and because by building is not up to the new code the cost was going to be more than double. ($950 a year to $2100 a year) I own the unit outright, no mortgage, so I decided to shop around a bit.

I was still shopping on Monday when the fire happened.

Pocket is going to feel this one for a good long while!

Sorry to hear about your cat.

The cash you're out kinda sucks, too.

Hope everything works out for the best.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Ebone4rock
SFN Regular

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2011 :  10:47:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ebone4rock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So sorry to hear that Dude.

Haole with heart, thats all I'll ever be. I'm not a part of the North Shore society. Stuck on the shoulder, that's where you'll find me. Digging for scraps with the kooks in line. -Offspring
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2011 :  11:09:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wait a minute... your insurance bill doubled because of a law that won't go into effect for another eight years?!

Sorry to hear about your losses.

Do you know what started the fire?

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Fripp
SFN Regular

USA
727 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2011 :  11:14:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Fripp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry to hear it. Espec. the cat. Not to make light of the situation, but if you want a replacement, I've got two you can have...

"What the hell is an Aluminum Falcon?"

"Oh, I'm sorry. I thought my Dark Lord of the Sith could protect a small thermal exhaust port that's only 2-meters wide! That thing wasn't even fully paid off yet! You have any idea what this is going to do to my credit?!?!"

"What? Oh, oh, 'just rebuild it'? Oh, real [bleep]ing original. And who's gonna give me a loan, jackhole? You? You got an ATM on that torso LiteBrite?"
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2011 :  11:22:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So sorry to hear about this.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2011 :  11:24:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ouch! I feel for you.

I learned long ago from other people I know, never to go without insurance even if I know they are fleecing me for not being able to find a reasonable replacement.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2011 :  11:58:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Wait a minute... your insurance bill doubled because of a law that won't go into effect for another eight years?!

Sorry to hear about your losses.

Do you know what started the fire?

The code enforcement won't be implemented until then, but it is in effect for any new or remodeled buildings. Old buildings have until 2019 to get up to the new code.

The insurance went up because the building is technically out of code and is therefore a higher risk. That was their explanation anyway.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2011 :  00:25:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm very sorry for your loss Dude. I lost a cat in an apartment fire that started in the unit next door, years ago. And I know about completely loosing ones home with no insurance too. You are not alone. Are you able to stay there? I suspect not. SS

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

Elmo the Clown

31 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2011 :  05:50:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Elmo the Clown's Homepage Send Elmo the Clown a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fires' suck. Not having insurance really sucks.

Sorry about your cat.

Support a clown, buy a luury cruise from www.ChicLuxuryCruises.com (or any cruise...)
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2011 :  07:34:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Elmo the Clown

Sorry about your cat.

Yeah... I lost the place I lived in back in the 94 earthquake. But I didn't own it and the only pets that were killed were goldfish. It was tough but all we really had to do was move. A FEMA check and an emergency family grant from the state of California made that possible. As traumatic as it was, at least we had help because the area was declared a federal disaster area. I guess its comparing apples to oranges, but being thrown into the the upheaval of having your place screwed up is stressful and expensive no matter how you slice it. The thing about FEMA is they handed out the same check, $2100, no matter whether a few windows broken or you lost your place. Weird...

My sister had renters insurance and that was before they removed earthquakes from a regular policy and upped the cost of that kind of insurance if you want earthquakes covered. But at least they compensated her for all of the stuff she lost. Now, earthquake insurance is very expensive. That's how insurance companies roll...

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2011 :  12:02:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

Originally posted by Elmo the Clown

Sorry about your cat.

Yeah... I lost the place I lived in back in the 94 earthquake. But I didn't own it and the only pets that were killed were goldfish. It was tough but all we really had to do was move. A FEMA check and an emergency family grant from the state of California made that possible. As traumatic as it was, at least we had help because the area was declared a federal disaster area. I guess its comparing apples to oranges, but being thrown into the the upheaval of having your place screwed up is stressful and expensive no matter how you slice it. The thing about FEMA is they handed out the same check, $2100, no matter whether a few windows broken or you lost your place. Weird...

My sister had renters insurance and that was before they removed earthquakes from a regular policy and upped the cost of that kind of insurance if you want earthquakes covered. But at least they compensated her for all of the stuff she lost. Now, earthquake insurance is very expensive. That's how insurance companies roll...

I had a contract for renters insurance on my desk, would have covered the contents at least, was going to buy it this month after I paid the property tax on the place while shopping around for comprehensive insurance. Just didn't feel any urgency to get it done fast.

-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
Edited by - Dude on 09/02/2011 12:05:22
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2011 :  12:45:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dude's Fire Fund.

It isn't a life or death thing, the damage is done and I have the means (more or less) to recover. It's going to be a rough couple of years though, the next couple months will be the worst.

So if anyone has a spare coin or two, I wouldn't object (It would be extremely appreciated, in fact). Any millionaires who want to hook a fellow skeptic up?

-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2011 :  15:38:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dude.....

I sent a token PayPal donation to your Fund. You are going to be in a pretty tough situation without any insurance. Have you checked with Social Services of your state (Florida, I think) to see if you might qualify for an emergency loan to help with the reconstruction of your home? If you can prove that you're disabled, there is help available from SS - my daughter qualified.

Please let me know how things are going. I am giving a lot of money to the Democratic Party to try and help get this Tea Party thing under control, but I could probably tender you a loan next month if I short Obama a few bucks. Keep in touch.

Bill

I hope others here may be able to contribute something.

TO ALL SKEPTIC FRIENDS

Please search your compassion for fellow man and Skeptic, Dude.. He can be an ornery bastard, but basically he's a pretty good guy and he needs some help! Search your pocketbook, and see if you can't find something in it for Dude's Dilemma!
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2011 :  10:15:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To those who have, and may later, put some coins in my tin cup...

Thank you. You have my sincere and heartfelt gratitude. Thank you all for the sentiments and thoughts as well.

It is an odd feeling, being displaced from your home. Nothing I would wish on anyone, even the insane teabaggers. It's frustrating. It hurts. It sucks. I woke up the next day and realized I'd have to make a trip to the store if I wanted to brush my teeth. Every minor convenience I take for granted, gone. No morning coffee, no razor, no shampoo..... You get the idea.

I'm not making a plea for money, just trying to communicate the terribleness of getting burned out of your home.

Bill, thanks. I think I have secured financing for my repairs. It's going to require some sacrifice, rebudgeting, and rescheduling of my life... But I should be ok in the long run, and probably back on my feet in the next few months. My problem, perhaps one of youth, is occasional shortsightedness. I have been going with no reserve, no fallback, and no emergency plan (the no insurance thing was a fluke, I was mad and didn't feel it was an urgent matter) for a couple of years. That is a situation I will remedy quickly too.

I appreciate the offer though. It relieves a bit of stress, and for that I thank you again.

-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2011 :  12:21:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dude wrote:
It is an odd feeling, being displaced from your home. Nothing I would wish on anyone, even the insane teabaggers. It's frustrating. It hurts. It sucks. I woke up the next day and realized I'd have to make a trip to the store if I wanted to brush my teeth. Every minor convenience I take for granted, gone. No morning coffee, no razor, no shampoo..... You get the idea.

A guy in my figure drawing workshop had a house fire last year. He said a lot of the same thing you've said above. His situation could have been compounded by the fact that he was a recently recovering alcoholic. But instead, he somehow managed to draw strength from the whole thing. Even though there was clearly pain through his laughter, he managed to make jokes about it all, and made a point of emphasizing how the experience was forcing him to grow in certain ways he felt he needed. I was really rather inspired by his attitude. Don't know how I'd deal with such an experience. I suppose none of us know unless it happens. I'm glad it sounds like you can get through this okay, and wish I was in a position to give more. Peace.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.