Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2012 :  20:42:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A neutrino walks into a bar. The bartender tells him, "Your tachyon lady-friend waited for hours, then left."

Okay, so we don't have superluminal neutrinos. I note that few if anyone here was surprised by the eventual results on that, since it would have violated so much of established physical theory. Now, I'd wondering if there'll be a race to find the very slowest neutrinos.

Meanwhile, the fact that neutrinos can bore right through... well, anything... with little interaction, makes them an interesting medium for communication. Now, the first neutrino message has been sent straight through rock. This might indeed become practical at some time, especially when a message absolutely, positively, has to get there at point-to-point speed of light.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 03/18/2012 20:47:26
Go to Top of Page

podcat
Skeptic Friend

435 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2012 :  23:36:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send podcat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A neutrino goes into a bar. The bartender says, "I'm sorry, I can't serve you, you're smashed already".

“In a modern...society, everybody has the absolute right to believe whatever they damn well please, but they don't have the same right to be taken seriously”.

-Barry Williams, co-founder, Australian Skeptics
Edited by - podcat on 03/18/2012 23:38:23
Go to Top of Page

Convinced
Skeptic Friend

USA
384 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2012 :  12:31:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Convinced a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The first time I heard of nutrino's and tachyons was in the movie Prince of Darkness (1987).

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093777/

They were getting messages from the future by the use of these particles. The movie scared the heck out of me back then but I still like the movie. And even better, it had Alice Cooper in it.

Therefore be careful how you walk, not as unwise men but as wise, making the most of your time, because the days are evil. So then do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is. (Eph 5:15-17)
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2012 :  13:13:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Love that film. It had Satan in a Jar

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Convinced
Skeptic Friend

USA
384 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2012 :  13:33:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Convinced a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Yes, highly heretical but entertaining.

Therefore be careful how you walk, not as unwise men but as wise, making the most of your time, because the days are evil. So then do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is. (Eph 5:15-17)
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2012 :  21:32:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Convinced

Originally posted by Dave W.

Yes, highly heretical but entertaining.
Some of our best literature and film take a generally accepted notion and twist it about by giving a radically alternative but equally logical explanation. If done right, these twists can make a person's brain skid to a halt for a millisecond, and make their gaping moths say "Whoa!" It's as if a program inside our heads responds, "DATA INCONSISTENT WITH THOSE IN STORAGE. REPLACE, HALT, REBOOT?"

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.