Northern Lights site recommendations?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fripp
SFN Regular

USA
727 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2012 :  08:37:40  Show Profile Send Fripp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Went out for a run this morning and at about 4:30 AM, I saw some wild meteorological phenomena over Southeastern Pennsylvania (suburbs of Philly). There are simply no other words to describe it:

The sun was still far from rising. In the ESE portion on the sky, I saw what looked like a jet contrail that looked like it was glowing. It was in a snaky-S type line that grew more "warped" as time passed. I saw another straight "contrail" get slowly warped and twisted as well. Then I saw another faint light that became "smeared" and glowing like a hazy cloud. To the east, a very similar "duplicate". All this happened in "slow-motion" and took about 15 minutes for all this to take place. The clouds eventually slowly faded and dissipated.

The experience was completely incredible. My only explanation that makes sense is some form of Aurora Borealis. I've done a Google search and I've checked Space.com but I don't have a corroborating evidence yet.

FYI, about three weeks ago, I saw a brilliant meteor just before 8 PM. Later I found other reports with the exact date/time stamp over the NY/PA/NJ region.

"What the hell is an Aluminum Falcon?"

"Oh, I'm sorry. I thought my Dark Lord of the Sith could protect a small thermal exhaust port that's only 2-meters wide! That thing wasn't even fully paid off yet! You have any idea what this is going to do to my credit?!?!"

"What? Oh, oh, 'just rebuild it'? Oh, real [bleep]ing original. And who's gonna give me a loan, jackhole? You? You got an ATM on that torso LiteBrite?"

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2012 :  08:43:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Fripp

Went out for a run this morning and at about 4:30 AM, I saw some wild meteorological phenomena over Southeastern Pennsylvania (suburbs of Philly). There are simply no other words to describe it:

The sun was still far from rising. In the ESE portion on the sky, I saw what looked like a jet contrail that looked like it was glowing. It was in a snaky-S type line that grew more "warped" as time passed. I saw another straight "contrail" get slowly warped and twisted as well. Then I saw another faint light that became "smeared" and glowing like a hazy cloud. To the east, a very similar "duplicate". All this happened in "slow-motion" and took about 15 minutes for all this to take place. The clouds eventually slowly faded and dissipated.

The experience was completely incredible. My only explanation that makes sense is some form of Aurora Borealis. I've done a Google search and I've checked Space.com but I don't have a corroborating evidence yet.

FYI, about three weeks ago, I saw a brilliant meteor just before 8 PM. Later I found other reports with the exact date/time stamp over the NY/PA/NJ region.

Check the SOHO site. (SOlar Heliographic Observatory) Look for CMEs and X class solar storms within the last week or so.

Aurora Borealis is the most logical explaination for the phenomenon.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Fripp
SFN Regular

USA
727 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2012 :  08:45:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Fripp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nevermind, just found it. What lucky timing. This is EXACTLY what I saw.

Really cool

"Oh, I'm sorry. I thought my Dark Lord of the Sith could protect a small thermal exhaust port that's only 2-meters wide! That thing wasn't even fully paid off yet! You have any idea what this is going to do to my credit?!?!"

"What? Oh, oh, 'just rebuild it'? Oh, real [bleep]ing original. And who's gonna give me a loan, jackhole? You? You got an ATM on that torso LiteBrite?"
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2012 :  08:51:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I saw the aurora from time to time in Alaska, in 1951 and 1952. Usually, they were too dim to distinguish colors. It's wonderful you were able to see the aurora from the Lower 48. Were you able to see color?

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 03/27/2012 08:51:46
Go to Top of Page

Fripp
SFN Regular

USA
727 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2012 :  08:51:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Fripp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is a perfect example where it would have been very easy to claim what I saw was divine/supernatural/extraterrestrial BECAUSE it was so out-of-the-ordinary and without any "normal" explanation. But, all it takes is some patience and critical discipline to find the rational explanation, not some mystical "sign from the great-big-cuddly-sky-daddy".

Go to Top of Page

Fripp
SFN Regular

USA
727 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2012 :  08:53:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Fripp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

I saw the aurora from time to time in Alaska, in 1951 and 1952. Usually, they were too dim to distinguish colors. It's wonderful you were able to see the Aurora from the Lower 48. Were you able to see color?

This was all white (and it wasn't Borealis if you note my link above).

When I was stationed in Alaska, the brief bit of Borealis I saw had an orange tinge. Nothing spectacular.

Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2012 :  09:42:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Fripp

Nevermind, just found it. What lucky timing. This is EXACTLY what I saw.

Really cool

Bitchin.

Now I'm jealous. You got to see our tax dollars at work doing cool things.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2012 :  10:03:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, wow! Not aurora at all. Even cooler!

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 03/27/2012 10:04:12
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.