Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2011 :  09:37:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by justintime

I might have inadvertently answers the question. Why Men prefer Blondes?
How could you possibly answer that?

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Hal
Skeptic Friend

USA
302 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2011 :  09:51:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Hal a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I wish you were a more formidable adversary. But what nature provided you and circumstance alone is an artless form of bitchiness only menopause can fully comprehend.

Men are patient to a fault.....I will survive your mood swings if you can blot those days in advance.

You know how I know you're getting pwned?

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
Martin Luther King Jr.

Go to Top of Page

justintime
BANNED

382 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2011 :  10:00:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send justintime a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

I might have inadvertently answers the question. Why Men prefer Blondes?
How could you possibly answer that?

It is less distracting than menstrual gel.
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2011 :  11:30:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, I finally get it - he's making an ad hom attack against me by saying the red hair in my avatar resembles menstual blood. Hate to disappoint, but that's an old pic and my actual hair is green at the moment. But we can pretend I'm a vulcan woman, and then the insult still works.

Reminds me of when I was at this party a few years ago debating this older conservative guy about an array of issues. It was an invigorating debate and I held my own quite well. When his wife finally told him it was time to go home, he suddenly resorted to making a backhanded compliment about me being a "nice girl" with my "dress and hair" (my dress was kind of wild colors and my hair was blue at the time).

Of course this level of blatant (and vulgar) sexist attack, this is something new for me. Don't know if I should be proud or ashamed for having provoked justintime into showing his true colors.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Edited by - marfknox on 10/09/2011 11:38:16
Go to Top of Page

justintime
BANNED

382 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2011 :  08:37:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send justintime a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All I said was "It was distracting" You should be very proud I make the effort to respond to your post despite the distraction. I would have called the color by name if I knew what it was. So I called it by what it looked like, unfortunately.

Vibrant Blue would have looked better.
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2011 :  09:02:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote

All I said was "It was distracting" You should be very proud I make the effort to respond to your post despite the distraction.
No, Marf should not feel "proud" that you are a shallow asshole. On the contrary, you should feel ashamed.

I would have called the color by name if I knew what it was. So I called it by what it looked like, unfortunately.
Right. Because the only red thing you could think to compare her hair to is menstrual blood. Not just any blood, which would have been inaccurately insulting enough, but menstrual blood, a specification which serves no other purpose except to be inflammatorily sexist.

It's getting pretty tiring to have to continually wade through the amount of garbage you post here. Practically every thread is choked with your ignorant ramblings, much of it intentionally offensive. We have a pretty high tolerance for trolls here, but that doesn't mean your terrible behavior will be tolerated indefinitely. I suggest you stop insulting the members here or expect to be shown the door in short order.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

justintime
BANNED

382 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2011 :  09:33:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send justintime a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by H. Humbert

All I said was "It was distracting" You should be very proud I make the effort to respond to your post despite the distraction.
No, Marf should not feel "proud" that you are a shallow asshole. On the contrary, you should feel ashamed.

I would have called the color by name if I knew what it was. So I called it by what it looked like, unfortunately.
Right. Because the only red thing you could think to compare her hair to is menstrual blood. Not just any blood, which would have been inaccurately insulting enough, but menstrual blood, a specification which serves no other purpose except to be inflammatorily sexist.

It's getting pretty tiring to have to continually wade through the amount of garbage you post here. Practically every thread is choked with your ignorant ramblings, much of it intentionally offensive. We have a pretty high tolerance for trolls here, but that doesn't mean your terrible behavior will be tolerated indefinitely. I suggest you stop insulting the members here or expect to be shown the door in short order.

You own avatar shows you are pretty much out of control. With your low threshold for tolerance you should be less conspicuous here. I suggest you get into some anger management program before you hurt yourself.
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2011 :  09:36:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You own avatar shows you are pretty much out of control.
How does referencing a popular comedy movie demonstrate that I'm "out of control?" It doesn't. The "argument by avatar" fallacy didn't work when you used it on Marf, why advertise your ignorance again?

With your low threshold for tolerance you should be less conspicuous here. I suggest you get into some anger management program before you hurt yourself.
And now you're making demands of the established membership. Nice. Yeah, I don't expect you to last long.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 10/10/2011 09:39:25
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2011 :  09:50:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote

All I said was "It was distracting" You should be very proud I make the effort to respond to your post despite the distraction. I would have called the color by name if I knew what it was. So I called it by what it looked like, unfortunately.

Vibrant Blue would have looked better.

Very well.

That's a good justintime. Good boy. You actually responded to a post while most of the useful blood in your body was diverted to your pecker.

What a good boy you are. Sit up. Play dead. Rhino.

Who wants a snackie-treat? Who wants a snackie-treat?

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2011 :  10:39:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

So you think you can speak for all men?

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

justintime
BANNED

382 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2011 :  11:52:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send justintime a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

So you think you can speak for all men?

The last time I refused to be held back by a missed schedule the girlfriend called it a massacre. My sperm was attacking dead eggs according to her.

I don't wish to speak for all men. Just those who know a bloody mess when they see one.
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2011 :  12:11:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The last time I refused to be held back by a missed schedule the girlfriend called it a massacre. My sperm was attacking dead eggs according to her.
I'm not 100% sure what this means, but it definitely sounds like TMI.

I don't wish to speak for all men. Just those who know a bloody mess when they see one.
Classy.

And all this I get for choosing an avatar that is a actual picture of myself. Starting to understand why so many people keep their true identity and appearance a mystery on the Internet.

Not that it has anything to do with the topic of this thread (let's face it, that was abandoned long ago) but in my avatar I was sporting Tish and Snooky's Manic Panic brand hair dye "Hot Hot Pink". (Check it out - it's neon and glows under a black light!) If this particular color ever comes out of any part of my body, I will mostly certainly be calling a doctor.

IMO, anyone so distracted by an unusual hair color that they not only veer off from the subject at hand, but feel compelled to make gross, sexist comments, is a shallow piece of shit. Someone who uses being "distracted" as an excuse to make offensive ad hom attacks, denies they were offensive in the first place, and the continues to make more sexist comments is an even bigger piece of shit. Go home, troll.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2011 :  12:35:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Back on topic, I've been looking into how to encourage girls in math. As much as I find Danica McKellar's books inspiring, as a skeptic I worry that some tactics to encourage girls in math could backfire in the sense that by presenting math as a subject girls are stereo-typically bad at, we might actually be re-enforcing the stereotype. I base this concern on what I've read about how people tend to remember false facts that are presented to them initially, even if they later are exposed to a correction. My Google skills are failing me, but I know I've read that correcting a lie has sometimes been shown to perpetuate the lie because the positive assertion is what stays in peoples' minds. Basically if I say, "Gordon does not beat his wife." even though I've said something good about Gordon, most people will now just associate Gordon with wife beating. Likewise, if we go around refuting the claim that girls are bad at math, we might inadvertently be putting the idea that girls are bad at math in peoples' minds, and increasing math anxiety in many girls and women.

So what I'm looking for are methods for teaching math that just work. I found this on the What Works Clearinghouse - a pretty dependable source of educational strategies that have more than mere theorizing to back them up (they actually give the "level of evidence" for each suggestion a rating.) Found it notable that the strategy with the strongest evidence behind it was teaching kids that their math performance can be improved, while introducing strong female role models had a "minimal" evidence rating. So I suppose that many girls who learn of Danica McKellar might dismiss her achievements as that of a rare prodigy, and not of evidence of the math achievement potential of girls in general.

Edited by - marfknox on 10/10/2011 12:37:45
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2011 :  13:34:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by marfknox

Back on topic, I've been looking into how to encourage girls in math. As much as I find Danica McKellar's books inspiring, as a skeptic I worry that some tactics to encourage girls in math could backfire in the sense that by presenting math as a subject girls are stereo-typically bad at, we might actually be re-enforcing the stereotype. I base this concern on what I've read about how people tend to remember false facts that are presented to them initially, even if they later are exposed to a correction. My Google skills are failing me, but I know I've read that correcting a lie has sometimes been shown to perpetuate the lie because the positive assertion is what stays in peoples' minds. Basically if I say, "Gordon does not beat his wife." even though I've said something good about Gordon, most people will now just associate Gordon with wife beating. Likewise, if we go around refuting the claim that girls are bad at math, we might inadvertently be putting the idea that girls are bad at math in peoples' minds, and increasing math anxiety in many girls and women.

So what I'm looking for are methods for teaching math that just work. I found this on the What Works Clearinghouse - a pretty dependable source of educational strategies that have more than mere theorizing to back them up (they actually give the "level of evidence" for each suggestion a rating.) Found it notable that the strategy with the strongest evidence behind it was teaching kids that their math performance can be improved, while introducing strong female role models had a "minimal" evidence rating. So I suppose that many girls who learn of Danica McKellar might dismiss her achievements as that of a rare prodigy, and not of evidence of the math achievement potential of girls in general.

Since you are home schooling, I don't think you'll have the issues that some other schools have with reinforced sterotypes.

I would suggest that you just focus on improvement with your child. In NASCAR nomenclature, race the course, not the other racers. Teach the subject and not put much into the "girls are bad at math" thing.

If you want to show that girls are good at math, you can look at all the computer programmers who happen to be female. I've worked with a lot of women in this field and most of them have been good at math.

It leads me towards more of a focus on what the child is good at irrespective of gender roles. My eldest son was a visual learner. I had to rephrase coursework into those ways of learning and teach him how to do it for himself.

I wouldn't shoot for the moon out of the box, either. I'd shoot for a good grasp of mathematics out of the starting box and not say a Nobel Peace prize in mathematics winner. I can always revise up my expectations based on the child's ability to learn and retain information.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2011 :  17:15:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I don't wish to speak for all men.
Then quit doing so.
Just those who know a bloody mess when they see one.
You'll find they don't all agree with you, either.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds.