One heck of a model rocket
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2011 :  10:52:57  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This rocket appears to be fueled by powered aluminum, the same as the Space Shuttle's solid rocket boosters.

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26022 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2011 :  11:16:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't find hat they used for fuel, but it's clear that they poured and cured the fuel themselves, instead of buying an off-the-shelf Q motor.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2011 :  20:35:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
With a 3,200 ft/sec velocity, that's some kick butt propellant.
Here's a bit more on the rocket.

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Edited by - Randy on 10/12/2011 20:35:37
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2011 :  21:12:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I earlier sent an enquiry to the 'builder'? Here's the reply about the fuel used.....

"Ammonium Perchlorate is the oxidizer and a synthetic rubber is the fuel. There's also (apparently from the exhaust color) some aluminum powder added as a burn enhancer."

-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26022 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2011 :  21:58:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The thing that amazes me is that there's only eight seconds of thrust. The sucker coasts for another 84 seconds before its upward momentum is all gone.

That's the way all hobby rockets work, though. A very short thrust and a lot of coasting. I think I'm too used to orbital rockets which burn fuel for minutes instead of seconds. Low Earth Orbit requires a minimum speed of about 21,330 ft/sec, so an orbital rocket needs about 6 2/3rds times as much velocity than Qu8k developed, and it needs that velocity up top and horizontal, not down deep in the gravity well and vertical like the hobby rockets.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2011 :  22:07:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From the rocket page above....

-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2011 :  22:20:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here are the big boys, the Space Shuttle's booster rockets. The above rocket sports 150 lbs of propellent, which pales in comparison to the Shuttle's boosters and their 1.1 million pounds of propellent each.

A snip from wiki on the booster fuel....

"The propellant mixture in each SRB motor consists of ammonium perchlorate (oxidizer, 69.6% by weight), aluminium (fuel, 16%), iron oxide (a catalyst, 0.4%), a polymer (such as PBAN or HTPB, serving as a binder that holds the mixture together and acting as secondary fuel, 12.04%), and an epoxy curing agent (1.96%).[3][4] This propellant is commonly referred to as Ammonium Perchlorate Composite Propellant, or simply APCP. This mixture develops a specific impulse of 242 seconds at sea level or 268 seconds in a vacuum.

The main fuel, aluminum, is used because it has a reasonable specific energy density of about 31.0MJ/kg, but a high volumetric energy density, and is difficult to accidentally ignite.

The propellant has an 11-point star-shaped perforation in the forward motor segment and a double-truncated-cone perforation in each of the aft segments and aft closure. This configuration provides high thrust at ignition and then reduces the thrust by approximately a third 50 seconds after lift-off to avoid overstressing the vehicle during maximum dynamic pressure (Max Q)."

I read a number of years ago that the booster fuel is mixed here in my locale near Austin, Texas. Glad that those concerned with the manufacture of this incredible fuel never made it (prematurely) in the news.

-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9688 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2011 :  12:35:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Randy

From the rocket page above....

A little more than 4 times the height of Mt. Everest. Impressive.
And I thought the Mythbuster variant of the Confederate Rocket was cool...

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1487 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2011 :  20:57:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Awesome! I built and launched model rockets when I was a kid.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds.