Mayor of PA's Capital Prays and It Fails
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2011 :  06:24:36  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Friendly Atheist wrote about the idiot mayor of Harrisburg, PA:
Thompson and a host of other religious leaders are about to embark on a three-day fast and prayer campaign to cure the city’s daunting money woes.

“Things that are above and beyond my control, I need God,” Thompson told WHTM TV, the region’s ABC news affiliate. “I depend on Him for guidance. Spiritual guidance. That’s why it’s really no struggle for me to join this fast and prayer.”
Then the city went bankrupt.

What kills me the most about this is say the city ended up doing better. So then that would be proof that God gave enough of a shit about the city of Harrisburg to help out with their "first world problems", meanwhile a quarter of the people on the planet struggle in abject poverty?

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Edited by - marfknox on 10/13/2011 06:25:26

Fripp
SFN Regular

USA
727 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2011 :  06:30:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Fripp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Outside of a 6-block square area, City Island and a beautiful riverwalk area, Harrisburg is a dump.

I know that this is a old logical problem, but if God is all-knowing, then why do people pray? Doesn't god already know about harrisburg's mismanagement? I guess these ass-clowns didn't pray hard enough.

"What the hell is an Aluminum Falcon?"

"Oh, I'm sorry. I thought my Dark Lord of the Sith could protect a small thermal exhaust port that's only 2-meters wide! That thing wasn't even fully paid off yet! You have any idea what this is going to do to my credit?!?!"

"What? Oh, oh, 'just rebuild it'? Oh, real [bleep]ing original. And who's gonna give me a loan, jackhole? You? You got an ATM on that torso LiteBrite?"
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2011 :  10:51:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I saw an image posted on FB that showed a couple of people in the first world praying for relatively dumb things (like winning a sports game) and then a third image of a child starving and diseased in obvious abject poverty. I just attempted to find it in a Google search. However, I had to stop searching because the images of poverty I was finding were too painful to look at. As I get older I seem to get more and more angry over the notion that things happen for a reason and prayer works. The Stoics were right about one thing, if there is a God, he/she/it obviously is NOT some personal entity, and most certainly doesn't give a flying fuck about what happens to the human race. We're on our own, and we need to take care of our own problems.

Sing it, Dan: Nothing fails like prayer.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Edited by - marfknox on 10/13/2011 10:52:54
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2011 :  11:28:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Brings to mind this story of the commercial pilot that freaks out praying when there's a flight crisis. His lack of action caused deaths. He's sent to prison for ten years.

On another note, while gleening the CNN website comments about a number of passengers that survived a plane wreck, there was this one reader's well written thought......

"I am very grateful that all but the one unlucky passenger escaped serious
harm, but today it is just amazing how many "miracles" happen. From sports
teams winning, to crashed airplane survivors being "saved". I guess god just
happens to pick and choose when he wants and doesn't want to save lives. No
miracle for the hundreds of thousands who are dying in Pakistan, nor for
millions starving worldwide, nor for those right at this moment dying in
accidents or from disease or illness. I would really like to meet this "god"
and ask him his rationale for miracles."

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

alienist
Skeptic Friend

USA
210 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2011 :  11:59:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send alienist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So the mayor says he looks for spiritual guidance from god. So then why is he praying for help with money? That seems the opposite of spiritual, but then these religious people are not known for their consistency.

The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well! - Joe Ancis
Go to Top of Page

Fripp
SFN Regular

USA
727 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2011 :  13:13:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Fripp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Randy

Brings to mind this story of the commercial pilot that freaks out praying when there's a flight crisis. His lack of action caused deaths. He's sent to prison for ten years.

That's the kind of story that barely gets any attention, but if a pilot prays and they somehow survive, that gets top-billing on the news.

It's like the old "no atheists in a foxhole" crap. If we are in the shit, stop your fucking praying, pick up a weapon and start shooting, jackass.

We had a lady here some time back whose grandson needed TONS of medical attention. She always asked for God's prayers to help him out. Privately, I always thought: "Lady, thank the medical staff and their education. If god was so great, how come your grandson is in this predicament in the first place?"

"What the hell is an Aluminum Falcon?"

"Oh, I'm sorry. I thought my Dark Lord of the Sith could protect a small thermal exhaust port that's only 2-meters wide! That thing wasn't even fully paid off yet! You have any idea what this is going to do to my credit?!?!"

"What? Oh, oh, 'just rebuild it'? Oh, real [bleep]ing original. And who's gonna give me a loan, jackhole? You? You got an ATM on that torso LiteBrite?"
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2011 :  13:52:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Fripp

Originally posted by Randy

That's the kind of story that barely gets any attention, but if a pilot prays and they somehow survive, that gets top-billing on the news.

It's like the old "no atheists in a foxhole" crap. If we are in the shit, stop your fucking praying, pick up a weapon and start shooting, jackass.

We had a lady here some time back whose grandson needed TONS of medical attention. She always asked for God's prayers to help him out. Privately, I always thought: "Lady, thank the medical staff and their education. If god was so great, how come your grandson is in this predicament in the first place?"

Actually, the praying pilot story did get international attention when he was charged. But yeah, the prayer-god-instant-miracle does get way over-played in media ad nauseum. Media knows what the hell they're writing, they're just playing up to the majority.

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds.