Climate Change Denier Defection
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2011 :  14:57:13  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Reading over at TPM, they have a story up about how a Berkely researcher who for awhile has been a champion of the anti-Climate Change crowd because of his public skepticism. Fortunately, he's an honest scientist, and after conducting his own research, he has come to the other side.

Not unexpectedly, those who used to side with him are now disowning him. One rich example:
Blogger Anthony Watts — a meteorologist and blogger who doubts greenhouse gases contribute to warming — was excited about Muller’s group’s work and in March boasted 'I’m prepared to accept whatever result they produce, even if it proves my premise wrong.'

On Thursday he appended an asterisk to that contention — he can’t accept the group’s conclusions because they haven’t been peer reviewed.

'Since the paper has not completed peer review yet, it would be inappropriate for me to publicly comment on the conclusions, especially in light of a basic procedural error that has been discovered in the methodology that will likely require a rework of the data and calculations, and thus the conclusions may also change.'
I'm willing to wager that no matter how much peer review this work undergoes, he's going to stick to what he wants to believe.

[Edited to fix link - Dave W.]

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2011 :  16:43:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lambert sums up the research:
1. State that "reported global warming may be biased by poor station quality".
2. Collect funding from Charles G. Koch Charitable Foundation.
3. Make the utterly predictable finding that warming is not a product of poor measurement.
4. Brief reporters.
He also notes that the BEST results are causing James Delingpole to forget what he said just a year ago.

Speaking of climate change deniers, this is genius.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

justintime
BANNED

382 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2011 :  10:06:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send justintime a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Skeptics who flip flip do more harm than good to both the position they abandoned and the one they embrace. If skeptics are not convinced with the evidence they are presented and have to repeat every test to validate for themselves. What about all the other skeptics who have not tested or validated first hand.

This only creates more redundancy and questions the integrity of the skeptic. Knowing the results and procedures in advance. They just sought funding so they could repeat the test for self advancement. How much more credible are their findings when it is done with such ulterior motives?
Edited by - justintime on 10/25/2011 10:33:45
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds.