New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

flanagan1000
Banned

413 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2011 :  12:24:25  Show Profile Send flanagan1000 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFHcOw9INj4&feature=player_embedded

Shockig infrmation if true.

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2011 :  12:46:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As I posted in the video comments: Fear mongering. Wheeee!
Go to Top of Page

Fripp
SFN Regular

USA
727 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2011 :  12:56:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Fripp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Check out the Olympic Javelin high-speed rail London's got ready for the olympics.

The infatuation with cars and trucks over here will forever prevent any serious high-speed rail. Oh how I long for a nice high-speed rail. Airlines suck and rail would be so nice for visiting the inlaws in Chicago.

"What the hell is an Aluminum Falcon?"

"Oh, I'm sorry. I thought my Dark Lord of the Sith could protect a small thermal exhaust port that's only 2-meters wide! That thing wasn't even fully paid off yet! You have any idea what this is going to do to my credit?!?!"

"What? Oh, oh, 'just rebuild it'? Oh, real [bleep]ing original. And who's gonna give me a loan, jackhole? You? You got an ATM on that torso LiteBrite?"
Go to Top of Page

Hal
Skeptic Friend

USA
302 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2011 :  13:00:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Hal a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Planet Explodes

August 4, 1999 | ISSUE 35•27

EARTH—All Earth lifeforms are feared dead in Monday's explosion of the four-billion-year-old planet, sources report. "We are still searching through the rubble for any signs of life which may be present," said American Red Cross volunteer Patricia O'Donnell. "But we stress that the hope of retrieving survivors is quite slim." A research mishap at Long Island's Brookhaven National Laboratories is believed responsible for the catastrophic explosion.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/planet-explodes,4090/

Shocking, if true.

Go to Top of Page

Fripp
SFN Regular

USA
727 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2011 :  13:06:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Fripp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
About a year ago, some graduate students at Penn made an impressive high-speed rail proposal for the NorthEast corridor. They used many existing rail beds, shifted some, etc. They visited England cause they (England) recently completed a hi-speed rail project of similar scope and challenges.

The Italians have a sweet high speed rail system as well.

China gets it: they're building infrastructure out the wazoo.

"Oh, I'm sorry. I thought my Dark Lord of the Sith could protect a small thermal exhaust port that's only 2-meters wide! That thing wasn't even fully paid off yet! You have any idea what this is going to do to my credit?!?!"

"What? Oh, oh, 'just rebuild it'? Oh, real [bleep]ing original. And who's gonna give me a loan, jackhole? You? You got an ATM on that torso LiteBrite?"
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2011 :  14:16:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Fripp

They really get it: they're buying the latest, greenest locomotives (from companies like GE, even) because they know they'll cost less in fuel and maintenance over the long run.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2011 :  15:19:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

They really get it: they're buying the latest, greenest locomotives (from companies like GE, even) because they know they'll cost less in fuel and maintenance over the long run.

For my Master's project, I actually had to research their high speed rail between Hangzhou and Shanghai. I learned more there than I though I ever could.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2011 :  15:47:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
At some point, there was talking of building high speed rail from Los Angeles to Vegas. It would be a HUGE hit. If you've ever done the Vegas drive to and from LA, you know that it's miserable-- especially on the Sunday drive back, when EVERYONE is heading back and it takes 6+ hours. Assuming that most who come to Vegas are just staying on the strip, you have no need for a car (or, if you do, you can take a taxi), it would make a lot of sense for such a thing.

As for 100,000 dying at the London Olympics: .... crap. I sort of thought that there was an eye-roll smiley. Alas.
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2011 :  15:51:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by flanagan1000

As an aside-- it would be far more productive if you actually had some comments and thoughts on these sorts of things. It's a huge waste of time to sit through a 15 minute video unless there are actual topics you want to discuss. And saying "all of it" or some such is lame: one could spend two hours going over all the stupid crap, lies, misinformation, and so on in one of these, and still not scratch the surface. And if it's not worth it to you to actually want to discuss it, then you really don't even need to post it.
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2011 :  15:51:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by flanagan1000

As an aside-- it would be far more productive if you actually had some comments and thoughts on these sorts of things. It's a huge waste of time to sit through a 15 minute video unless there are actual topics you want to discuss. And saying "all of it" or some such is lame: one could spend two hours going over all the stupid crap, lies, misinformation, and so on in one of these, and still not scratch the surface. And if it's not worth it to you to actually want to discuss it, then you really don't even need to post it.
Go to Top of Page

Fripp
SFN Regular

USA
727 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2011 :  15:52:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Fripp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Everybody likes to point to China's coal pollution, but they are investing HUGE into green technology. Not to minimize their coal output, but at least they're addressing it. I think they also get that they will NEED to go alternative energy or else they'll kill themselves. You don't hear anyone over there claiming that global warming is a hoax.

I know that people will think I'm nuts, but if China becomes a superpower and they do it by wise investment into infrastructure (while we have clowns over here wasting time dithering about birth certificates), then I'm first in line cheering them on.

Could you imagine ANY prez candidate here saying, "Hey, we should learn from the Chinese."?

The Swiss rail system is another one I lust after. No, I don't have a life.

Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2011 :  15:58:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Cuneiformist

As for 100,000 dying at the London Olympics: .... crap. I sort of thought that there was an eye-roll smiley. Alas.

I kept the smiley directory from my old forum of nearly ten years:
http://thorgolucky.com/forum/images/smiles/

Regarding green locomotives, I read an article about the GE green locomotives and their plans for hybrid locomotives. An electric-powered locomotive and its huge batteries would be a sight to see!

http://www.greentechmedia.com/articles/read/ges-green-locomotives-4713/
Go to Top of Page

Fripp
SFN Regular

USA
727 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2011 :  16:41:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Fripp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Valiant Dancer

For my Master's project, I actually had to research their high speed rail between Hangzhou and Shanghai. I learned more there than I though I ever could.

I would have been like a kid in a candy store. What Master's were you working on?

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2011 :  18:43:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I sort of thought that there was an eye-roll smiley.
Ricky made one for us:

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2011 :  19:02:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Originally posted by Valiant Dancer

I would have been like a kid in a candy store. What Master's were you working on?

Master of Information Services.

Earned it, too. :)

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2011 :  20:27:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

I sort of thought that there was an eye-roll smiley.
Ricky made one for us:
Ah: there it is. I thought there was one. Perhaps I've been away from SFN for too long....
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.