Water Birth
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2011 :  11:09:04  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why is water birth so controversial? Some of the things said by the water birth advocates in these video clips sound so crazy. A lot of debate got stirred up in the comments section, particularly by Dr. Amy of The Skeptical OB. She's written a lot in her blog about the dangers of water birth, such as this article from last year.

The more I read, the more it seems the arguments can be boiled down to this:

Proponents of water birth make a variety of claims of health benefits, but none of those seem to be well established by studies, and the supposed benefits that are most emphasized is the idea that it makes the experience more pleasurable for the laboring mother. In one of the videos from the first link above Barbara Harper talks about women in "ecstasy" while giving birth, and suggests that the reason we don't see birthing pools in hospitals is because OBs haven't seen women experience birth in this way.

Opponents of water birth are concerned about the risks to the infant's life and health, particularly infection and harm done by breathing under water. They mainly emphasize and point to documented instances of infants who have died or been injured from complications connected with water birth.

Um, yeah, I gotta go with the opponents. The purpose of birth isn't a fabulous orgasm. It's a healthy mom and baby.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds.