Sentencing of Faith-Healing Couple in Oregon
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2011 :  11:46:48  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As I read this article, and especially when I read that the couple has two other children at home, I started to feel bad for them and briefly wondered if the punishment wasn't too harsh. But then I got to the section about the prosecutor's arguments and the larger context of this case, after which I felt justice as been served. Some snippets:

Prosecutor Mike Regan took a hard line on the couple... because “they did not think they did anything wrong.”

A message needed to be sent to the church, Regan said. Child abuse for any motive, he said, is still child abuse.

Regan said he was loathe to use the cliché of asking the judge to “send a message,” but said he thought it was necessary for the church. Using an exaggerated analogy of a pagan group that sacrifices children in the woods, he asked Herndon how the effect of that groups differs from the situation at hand.

The Hickmans were the fourth couple from the church to be convicted for refusing to get medicine for a sick child.

My emphasis in bold.

This is just an incredibly sad and screwed up situation, not just with this one incident of a child's death, but all the other children that have suffered because of this church and its congregants' foolish beliefs and actions.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Edited by - marfknox on 10/31/2011 11:47:18
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds.