Pandering to Big Sky Daddy
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2011 :  15:59:38  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
U.S. House of Representatives approves reaffirming "in god we trust" as the national motto.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45128903/ns/politics/t/house-reaffirms-god-we-trust-us-motto/

In other words: "God, we're sucking up to you so that you will use your magical powers to help our nation because we're too fucking incompetent to do it ourselves."

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2011 :  16:44:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So....to celebrate that fact, I just X'd out around fifteen hundred bucks worth of "In god We Trust".
From now on, think I'll make it a life-long hobby of mine to continue doing just that -- x'ing that fucker out.
Pass along the good deed, folks.

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2011 :  19:51:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Break Out the Sharpies — Let’s Unofficially Remove the Official National Motto from our Money.

Don't forget to enter your bills in Where's George for kicks.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2011 :  20:12:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How'd that saying go.....The Sharpie is mightier than the douche bag. (Or something like that.)

Speaking of 'Where's George'....I just looked up four George bills I've entered over the past few years. No further finds or reports on them, it appears.

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2011 :  21:48:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Randy

Speaking of 'Where's George'....I just looked up four George bills I've entered over the past few years. No further finds or reports on them, it appears.
I've entered 198 bills, and only 26 have ever been hit again, and only four have been hits on other people's bills.

The #1 guy on the system, with nearly 2,000,000 bills entered, only has a hit rate of 17.6%. Nobody in the top ten has a hit rate over 25%.

[/hijack]

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2011 :  10:23:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I change the "IN" to a "NO" on most all bills that come my way. That way they still work in vending machines. I have been doing that for a few years now.

I often see the divisive motto crossed out. There are many of us asuperstitionists here in Corvallis (Benton County), Oregon.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2011 :  11:00:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
According to Ed Brayton:
The bill has 64 co-sponsors, including several Democrats. But the Democratic minority on the House Judiciary Committee inserted this dissenting language into the committee report on the bill:
Today we face the highest budget deficit in our Nation’s history, a national unemployment rate of nearly 9%, and an ongoing mortgage foreclosure crisis. American forces are deployed in combat on several fronts, while our children who–by the very circumstances of their birth–are placed into a cradle-to-prison pipeline. We are also in the midst of reacting to a natural disaster of unimaginable proportions that recently occurred in Japan and the resulting nuclear disaster, which may have worldwide import. Yet, instead of addressing any of these critical issues, and instead of working to help American families keep a roof over their heads and food on their tables, we are debating whether or not to affirm and proliferate a motto that was adopted in 1956 and that is not imperiled in any respect.

Without question, the Judiciary Committee has many important and time-sensitive matters within its purview. The Majority, however, seems intent on diverting the Committee’s time, resources, and attention to a measure that has no force of law, only reaffirms existing law, and further injects the hand of government into the private religious lives of the American people.

By aggressively pursuing a vehicle that places the government in the position of making an affirmatively religious statement, the Majority has transgressed the clear line between government and religion in violation of the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment. We regret that the Judiciary Committee has needlessly wandered into these dangerous waters, and we respectfully dissent.
Good for them!

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2011 :  12:39:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part!

Otter, from Animal House (1980)

Could have been a quote from the majority of the Judicial Committee.

And I'm paying for this crap.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.