Religion
 I Never Knew.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2011 :  10:44:55  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A two days ago I heard that Andy Rooney, of the 60 minutes fame, passed away. Not being very much of a TV watcher I never really thought much about him, past his winy style of delivery as I took it, until now. I just never seen him that much in spite of being an American icon. Not knowing much about him personally I was quite surprised to read some of his comments about God, Religion and Theists.
There are a few of his quotes on the topic's in an article here I believe are will be of interest to those who might be interested. Things like,,,
“I am an atheist… I don’t understand religion at all. I’m sure I’ll offend a lot of people by saying this, but I think it’s all nonsense.”

(From a speech at Tufts University, Nov. 18, 2004.)

Seeing how as the article states,,,
In 2001 the Freedom From Religion Foundation gave Andy Rooney the “Emperor Has No Clothes Award,” an award celebrating “plain speaking” on the shortcomings of religion by public figures.
I'm possibly the last to know. I'm glad I caught this article.

How about that an Emperor Has No Clothes Award. Way to go Andy.

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2011 :  17:09:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow! I didn't know this either-- and as a kid, I'd always make a point to come check out his portion of 60 minutes (and this was over 20 years ago). It's almost shocking to me that an avowed atheist could continue to be on TV given the hostile way in which they've typically been treated-- of course, Hollywood actors and the like are an exception, but I've had guessed that people on respected news shows wouldn't survive for so long holding views like that.

Thanks for sharing!
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2011 :  17:43:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I came across him being an Atheist some time ago. Think it may had been in a on-line interview somewhere.
And I always thought 'cool beans' for Andy. I did wish that he would of been more public about it.

The CNN website, which I frequent amongst others, did, of course, post quite a few salutes to Andy with his passing. The reader comments that follow articles...there were a lot of 'god blesses' and 'he's now in heaven telling off St. Peter' type comments -- I threw in a reply here and there that Andy was a life-long Atheist, being above superstition. Bet most everyone never knew that about old Andy.

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Edited by - Randy on 11/08/2011 17:44:37
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2011 :  17:46:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just to add, (I heard somewhere) "Everyone's an Atheist, they just don't realize it yet".

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.