Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

chefcrsh
Skeptic Friend

Hong Kong
380 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2011 :  21:18:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send chefcrsh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is interesting too, a lot of trade unions in the top cpntributors list. http://www.opensecrets.org/bigpicture/topcontribs.php?cycle=2010
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2011 :  23:21:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by chefcrsh

This is interesting too, a lot of trade unions in the top cpntributors list. http://www.opensecrets.org/bigpicture/topcontribs.php?cycle=2010
Why do you think the Republicans are waging a war on unions? But hey... I include unions in my 100 dollar cap. Look at the banks and wall street companies. Plus most of the unions are on the fence. Not so with the banks. And they're the ones who got us into this mess.

But more than that, Democrats are also influenced by big money contributor's. I'm not thrilled about that either. I want our politicians to be working for the people who elected them without being influenced by big money from anyone.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2011 :  23:31:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting, it seems dems outspend (and thus outraise) rebubs.
Yes.

It has happened in the past. 2008, I believe.

As to Campaign 2012 -- here's my personal small commitment to Anti-Republicanism.

In August 2011, I gave the Democratic National Committee authorization to deduct $100 per month from my personal checking account every month from August 2011 to (and including) November 2012.

Specifically, to help re-elect Obama in 2012.

I personally believe that Obama has proven to be a mediocre president, at best. And there is little doubt in my mind that he has serious commitments to "Wall Street", and all that that implies.

And I am very seriously disappointed in his lack of fulfillment of many, many campaign promises.

But - compared to any Republican candidate in the general election of 2012 - ????

So, should it be Obama in 2012?--- or should it be Gingrich (as of this week,) or Romney, or whatever other neo-fascist Republican clown pops up next week?

Lousy as it is, to me there is no question that Obama must be supported. Does anyone here have any political advice for me? Am I wrong?

Draft Donald Trump for President, maybe? Don't vote, and get raped by default?
Go to Top of Page

chefcrsh
Skeptic Friend

Hong Kong
380 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2011 :  00:07:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send chefcrsh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
bngbuck If we were to vote today, and were limited to two parties, there does seem to be no real choice. But a year is a long time, and I have often wondered if the seriously disgruntled on both sides of the false dichotomy were to go "third" party could a third party candidate win?
Go to Top of Page

chefcrsh
Skeptic Friend

Hong Kong
380 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2011 :  00:11:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send chefcrsh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kil look at that same table for 2008. The big banks leaned or were strongly dem. I have heard (and thought it made sense) for a long time, that most businesses hedge.
Go to Top of Page

chefcrsh
Skeptic Friend

Hong Kong
380 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2011 :  00:13:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send chefcrsh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And this says that the PAC money goes to incumbants.

http://www.opensecrets.org/bigpicture/pac2cands.php?cycle=2008
Go to Top of Page

chefcrsh
Skeptic Friend

Hong Kong
380 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2011 :  00:23:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send chefcrsh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by bngbuck

Yes.

Actually in that table totaling both sides the dems are ahead about a billion dollars 206million or 2%, nd clearly outspent in 04, 08 and 10.
Edited by - chefcrsh on 12/06/2011 00:30:57
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2011 :  02:09:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote

bngbuck If we were to vote today, and were limited to two parties, there does seem to be no real choice. But a year is a long time, and I have often wondered if the seriously disgruntled on both sides of the false dichotomy were to go "third" party could a third party candidate win?

I don't think a third party with the dynamics at play in our historic two party system would win ever president right now, chefcrsh. Anything is possible I guess but I doubt it. There are to many staunch Republicans and Democrats voters that will still vote their ticket no natter who's on the ticket.
Look at governor ventura's win, a fluke. When he said he wouldn't run again, he said it was because because both Repb's and Demo's who hate each other a lot, joined forces and "played him out". Not unlike the Repub's are doing to Obama alone now. They don't want nor will they allow a third party to succeed past an isolated wins they get in congress. Even third party seats held today are 6 for the green party and less for independents. As far as I can tell. For a third party to be a real threat they must get an increasing hold on available seats in congress and building their hold that way but their wins to date are relatively rare.
A independent president would have less cooperation than Obama's getting now. Repb's and Demo's will make any independent on top look very bad for getting anything done. In positions like State Governor or President. Venture lived it and commented on the reality of being the head of the class.

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2011 :  02:16:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Originally posted by bngbuck

Yes.

Actually in that table totaling both sides the dems are ahead about a billion dollars 206million or 2%, nd clearly outspent in 04, 08 and 10.
Maybe it's because rich people spend their money more wisely. Their winners put up a better fight and get way more off the table. Poorer people spend less wisely and get less for their bucks.

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2011 :  08:25:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've said it before... USA political system is functionally only one party away from the one-size-fit-all-party Soviet Union dictatorship. The difference is that in the USA, there's a slightly different power-elite running the show.
I'm so happy I live in a neutered monarchy.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2011 :  09:38:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Kil look at that same table for 2008. The big banks leaned or were strongly dem. I have heard (and thought it made sense) for a long time, that most businesses hedge.
Yeah. And in 2006 and 2004 they were more strongly republican, with a few on the fence. I agree that they hedge their bets. 2010 is not too surprising because the republicans were trying to roll back whatever regulations were left on them, and it was a good bet that many republicans would win, taking over the house, which they did. Plus the republicans were largely responsible for TARP, which saved their asses. 2012 is yet to be posted, but I'm betting it will be strongly republican again. Stronger than 2010.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2011 :  10:00:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bill:
And I am very seriously disappointed in his lack of fulfillment of many, many campaign promises.

He really did get a lot done. But many major things were thwarted by Republican filibusters, which I think there were a record number of. Oh, and Blue dog democrats weren't of much help either, so his super majority wasn't really so super. Lieberman stuck healthcare reform in the back. The prick! But what did pass is a start, and more than any other president has done since Johnson. To some extent I think Obama gets a bum rap. I mean, when the republicans say that their number one priority is to get rid of him and so vote against ideas that even they came up with, because Obama saw it as a compromise, in order to not give him anything, that's what Obama was up against. My frustration with him is that he kept going back thinking that he could ever get bipartisan support which was never going to happen. And yeah, there were several things that he just didn't push hard enough for. But still...

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/promises/obameter/rulings/promise-kept/?page=1

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2011 :  10:08:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Not likely. But if there is real campaign reform, like say the 100 dollar cap, or some other way of leveling the playing field, it could happen.

Also, because the republicans have moved so far to the right, I don't think that they are even close to being the same party anymore. There are deep divisions, which are over policy. While the dems have moved closer to the middle in many areas, which bums me out, the republicans have moved into insanity.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2011 :  08:57:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On the issue of getting the money out of politics, here's a Dylan Ratigan weighing in with a right on rant on the subject:

Dylan Ratigan (rightfully) loses it on air.

I urge you to sign this petition.

It's Time to GET MONEY OUT of politics

Bailouts. War. Unemployment. Our government is bought, and we’re angry. Now, we’re turning our anger into positive action. By signing this petition, you are joining our campaign to get money out of politics. Our politicians won’t do this. But we will. We will become an unrelenting, massive organized wave advocating a Constitutional amendment to get money out of politics.

We are using our ability to influence media outlets as a platform to force this issue to the center of the 2012 elections. We are using The Dylan Ratigan Show to build this digital wave, so join us. As the petition grows, the wave grows. Email, Facebook, Tweet — GET MONEY OUT.

Read on to see what's actually being proposed as a constitutional amendment, which is probably the only way to get the kind of reform that's needed.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2011 :  10:25:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

I urge you to sign this petition.

It's Time to GET MONEY OUT of politics

Signed it.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.64 seconds.