Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2011 :  16:14:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Done.

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2011 :  16:32:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Excellent!

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

podcat
Skeptic Friend

435 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2011 :  00:06:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send podcat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Andy Cobb's take: Rick Perry - Weak, man

“In a modern...society, everybody has the absolute right to believe whatever they damn well please, but they don't have the same right to be taken seriously”.

-Barry Williams, co-founder, Australian Skeptics
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2011 :  14:55:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Perry did the equivalent of peeing in bed to save his presidential race. Problem is, now that it's starting to stink, what will happen at the polls?

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

djpats

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2012 :  22:31:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit djpats's Homepage Send djpats a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

How can this piece-of-shit Perry put up lies like that and get away with it?

That children aren't allowed to pray in school is patently false, yet that's what he's saying.

this is true, that children aren't allowed to pray in school is patently false. HOWEVER, the deal is this - what is ever-evident is the presence of political correctness not just in schools but EVERYWHERE. I've noticed that those of us who are Christian get the butt-end of this. Political correctness is an attempt to keep Christians from doing their mission, to spread the Gospel. I suppose that's okay, but the problem is this - if a Christian even mentions his/her faith or his/her God, said Christian is told to be careful so as not to offend anyone else in the vicinity, because heaven forbid mister Muslim be offended by Jehovah. Meanwhile, if a Christian tells a Muslim that he is offended by his faith then we get busted for being racist? Excuse me? The hypocrisy here is IMMENSE.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2012 :  08:42:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What a paranoia- and bigotry-spewing demagogue!

I don't care if Perry is so stupid that he actually believes this crap, or is just cynically appealing to the lowest common denominator of his brain-dead and hate-filled Republican constituency. Either way, his politics is not a nanometer from Fascism. And that's no exaggeration. Too bad the rest of the GOP field is playing the same dangerous game.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2012 :  10:06:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by djpats

Political correctness is an attempt to keep Christians from doing their mission, to spread the Gospel.
That's quite the persecution complex you have there.
I suppose that's okay, but the problem is this - if a Christian even mentions his/her faith or his/her God, said Christian is told to be careful so as not to offend anyone else in the vicinity, because heaven forbid mister Muslim be offended by Jehovah.
You do realize that Christians and Muslims both worship the god of Abraham, right?
Meanwhile, if a Christian tells a Muslim that he is offended by his faith then we get busted for being racist? Excuse me?
Yeah, that's not racism, that's just hypocrisy on the Christian's part. I mean, I know why I'm offended by all faith in general, but why should someone who embraces faith be offended by someone embracing a different faith? Is it because merely by being an adherent to Islam, that other person is implicitly saying that your Christian faith is the wrong faith to have? If so, then step into his shoes, and see that your adherence to Christianity implies that you think that Islam is wrong. You don't have the moral high-ground, here.
The hypocrisy here is IMMENSE.
You can say that again.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2012 :  11:31:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

How can this piece-of-shit Perry put up lies like that and get away with it?

That children aren't allowed to pray in school is patently false, yet that's what he's saying.

this is true, that children aren't allowed to pray in school is patently false.
I'm glad you agree with me on this. Rick Perry is a filthy liar, and he's using his lies in an attempt to further his political gain and agenda.
Does that behaviour look like Christian to you?
Does that sound like a man worthy of your support?
He claims to be "one of you", but is he?

HOWEVER, the deal is this - what is ever-evident is the presence of political correctness not just in schools but EVERYWHERE. I've noticed that those of us who are Christian get the butt-end of this.
Look around you. Muslims in your country is being attacked just because misguided Christians believe that they are guilty by perceived religious association with Usama Bin Ladin. True-or-not.

But representatives of Christianity isn't just in schools, as you observe.
They are in court buildings and city halls too. Those are also places which are subject to the first amendment, since they are part of the government. That means no 10 Commandments displays on the court lawn or on display in the halls and court rooms.

It's not about political correctness. IT IS THE FUCKING LAW.

Political correctness is an attempt to keep Christians from doing their mission, to spread the Gospel.
No. Political correctness is an excuse. You Christians may go about spreading the Gospel, but while doing so you have to adhere to the law. Which means you may not harass people while doing so. You may not use coercion while doing so. Using the authority of the school (which is an extension of the government) to do so - is to use the force inherent in the institution of the school - which is to use coercion.

I suppose that's okay, but the problem is this - if a Christian even mentions his/her faith or his/her God, said Christian is told to be careful so as not to offend anyone else in the vicinity, because heaven forbid mister Muslim be offended by Jehovah.
That's an issue you will have to take up with the Muslims. I find both religions equally offensive, and as to offend them - I don't discriminate between Christians or Muslims.
Your beef about this is not with me.

Meanwhile, if a Christian tells a Muslim that he is offended by his faith then we get busted for being racist? Excuse me? The hypocrisy here is IMMENSE.
I think both Muslims and Christians are huge hypocrites in this respect, and both are quick to play the persecution-card. It's so convenient.

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2012 :  15:20:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote

this is true, that children aren't allowed to pray in school is patently false. HOWEVER, the deal is this - what is ever-evident is the presence of political correctness not just in schools but EVERYWHERE. I've noticed that those of us who are Christian get the butt-end of this. Political correctness is an attempt to keep Christians from doing their mission, to spread the Gospel. I suppose that's okay, but the problem is this - if a Christian even mentions his/her faith or his/her God, said Christian is told to be careful so as not to offend anyone else in the vicinity, because heaven forbid mister Muslim be offended by Jehovah. Meanwhile, if a Christian tells a Muslim that he is offended by his faith then we get busted for being racist? Excuse me? The hypocrisy here is IMMENSE.
I think ol' Barney here has fired his only bullet.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

djpats

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2012 :  21:46:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit djpats's Homepage Send djpats a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

That's quite the persecution complex you have there.
You do realize that Christians and Muslims both worship the god of Abraham, right?
Meanwhile, if a Christian tells a Muslim that he is offended by his faith then we get busted for being racist? Excuse me?
Yeah, that's not racism, that's just hypocrisy on the Christian's part. I mean, I know why I'm offended by all faith in general, but why should someone who embraces faith be offended by someone embracing a different faith? Is it because merely by being an adherent to Islam, that other person is implicitly saying that your Christian faith is the wrong faith to have? If so, then step into his shoes, and see that your adherence to Christianity implies that you think that Islam is wrong. You don't have the moral high-ground, here.
The hypocrisy here is IMMENSE.
You can say that again.

But that's the problem. We are to encourage people to come to our faith, and yes there are some morons who make it into a whole hate thing. That's probably what turned you off from faith. I can understand someone saying something when it becomes "YOU'RE GOING TO HELL!! YOU'RE A HORRIBLE EVIL PERSON!!" but what I get frustrated with is when people start flipping out when a Christian says "God bless," or, probably the worst one I've heard "God bless you," after sneezing (in that particular situation the person flipped out because after I said "God bless you" he said "I'm offended by that, don't even mention God."). I lose patience there because it's ridiculous.
Go to Top of Page

Hal
Skeptic Friend

USA
302 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2012 :  07:36:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Hal a Private Message  Reply with Quote

But that's the problem. We are to encourage people to come to our faith, and yes there are some morons who make it into a whole hate thing. That's probably what turned you off from faith. I can understand someone saying something when it becomes "YOU'RE GOING TO HELL!! YOU'RE A HORRIBLE EVIL PERSON!!" but what I get frustrated with is when people start flipping out when a Christian says "God bless," or, probably the worst one I've heard "God bless you," after sneezing (in that particular situation the person flipped out because after I said "God bless you" he said "I'm offended by that, don't even mention God."). I lose patience there because it's ridiculous.

I'm an atheist (not because anyone ever hurt my feelings by yelling about Hell), and I would happily agree with you that such a response is just silly.

However, I'd probably take you more seriously if you were more mindful of your own inconsistencies:

if a Christian tells a Muslim that he is offended by his faith then we get busted for being racist?

The non-believer deserves reproach because it's silly for him to take offense at "God bless," but the Christian who "tells a Muslim that he is offended by his faith" is supposed to be OK? Maybe I've missed your point, but they both sound pretty stupid to me.

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
Martin Luther King Jr.

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2012 :  08:19:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

But that's the problem. We are to encourage people to come to our faith...
Which chapter and verse is that, again?
...and yes there are some morons who make it into a whole hate thing.
Seems like historically, those morons have been the majority of followers.
That's probably what turned you off from faith.
Not hardly.
I can understand someone saying something when it becomes "YOU'RE GOING TO HELL!! YOU'RE A HORRIBLE EVIL PERSON!!" but what I get frustrated with is when people start flipping out when a Christian says "God bless," or, probably the worst one I've heard "God bless you," after sneezing (in that particular situation the person flipped out because after I said "God bless you" he said "I'm offended by that, don't even mention God.").
That's the worst you've heard? You've had a sheltered life.
I lose patience there because it's ridiculous.
Almost as ridiculous as being offended by someone else's faith.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2012 :  11:37:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We are to encourage people to come to our faith, and yes there are some morons who make it into a whole hate thing.
It's more than just hate thing. It's about their feeling it's appropriate to dictate to others what they should do and what they shouldn't do: pushing their own moral standard on people who wants to be left alone. And they are more than just some morons. Look at the traction the Republican party has among their conservative Christian support-base. Hell, even Democratic congress people are scared shitless of what would happen to their voters if they decided to support the removal of the unconstitutional labelling on the currency which reads "In God We Trust"...

That's probably what turned you off from faith.
Not really. It was the disconnect from Reality, letting wishful thinking dictate how you perceive the world around you, and the blatant disregard of what evidence show.

That Christians behaving like ass-holes only made me realise they were more hypocrites than non-believers (and that I did not wish by be associated with them any longer), only gave me a push in the right direction. It gave me the incentive to examine my situation in more perspectives that just the one prescribed by my minister.

I can understand someone saying something when it becomes "YOU'RE GOING TO HELL!! YOU'RE A HORRIBLE EVIL PERSON!!" but what I get frustrated with is when people start flipping out when a Christian says "God bless," or, probably the worst one I've heard "God bless you," after sneezing (in that particular situation the person flipped out because after I said "God bless you" he said "I'm offended by that, don't even mention God."). I lose patience there because it's ridiculous.
Did you stop to consider that this person may already have had an overdose of "God bless you" to the point of being more than just a little annoyed by it? Did you ever consider how you yourself would feel if the opposite was true, and everyone ran around saying "Satan take you" at every corner, and especially at every sneeze when you were having a cold?

Why do you feel it is ridiculous for someone to ask you to respect his religious views?

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.33 seconds.