Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2011 :  23:20:19  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In Memoriam: Christopher Hitchens, 1949–2011

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project

chefcrsh
Skeptic Friend

Hong Kong
380 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2011 :  23:41:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send chefcrsh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am at a complete loss, which relieves me of the impossible task of eulogizing a writer of unrivaled prowess.
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2011 :  23:51:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Damn, I will be sad for a long time about his passing, inevitable as it was. There's a mountain of talks, debates, lectures of his on the web. Here's a random one on YouTube.

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2011 :  00:57:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A great thinker, writer and commentator with perceptive insights.

Diversity, independence, innovation and imagination are progressive concepts ultimately alien to the conservative mind.

"TAX AND SPEND" IS GOOD! (TAX: Wealthy corporations who won't go poor even after taxes. SPEND: On public works programs, education, the environment, improvements.)
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2011 :  07:23:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Richard Dawkins is amassing a collection of obituaries.

H/T: Jerry Coyne.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2011 :  09:05:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We will all miss him. He was a brilliant writer and an inspiration to hear speak. For me he was lighthouse of truth and reality in our delusional and superstitious filled planet. He certainly did more than his share addressing those short comings.

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2011 :  09:43:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One a more personal level, I have met Hitchens a couple of times. The first was when the photo below was taken. He had an impish nature to him and saw the humor in the photo, and was active in helping to set it up. This wasn't just a point and shoot with me and a hero of mine. Without Hitchens help, the photo would not have happened. The way I learned of Hitchens death was on facebook was that Kitty Mervine posted the photo in her announcement of Hitchens death. What a shock to me! Then another person who I don't know said that he had seen the photo and loved it. Go figure. Anyhow, aside from his writing and his debates and talks, he was definitely a cool guy. He didn't know me from Adam, but was happy to have fun with this. So as I said, on a more personal level, I had a genuine Hitchens moment:

I should also mention that no, I don't agree with all of what Hitchens wrote. But he was always eloquent, honest and thought provoking. He will be missed.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

chefcrsh
Skeptic Friend

Hong Kong
380 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2011 :  10:21:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send chefcrsh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am very envious of your experience Kil. I would have given a lot to have had that...though if it had been me I would have probably acted as socially awkward as a randy misogynist in the wee hours of a lift lobby at an Atheist conference.
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2011 :  11:02:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kil, Jerry Coyne is asking for photo tributes to Hitchens, so I immediate thought of the picture you posted just above. I think you should really post a link in that thread. It's a classic image, the two of you blocking the doors.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2011 :  11:10:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by H. Humbert

Kil, Jerry Coyne is asking for photo tributes to Hitchens, so I immediate thought of the picture you posted just above. I think you should really post a link in that thread. It's a classic image, the two of you blocking the doors.

Randi has just asked for a copy.

I don't have time to send it around but the image link is here if you want to send it to Coyne:

http://www.skepticfriends.org/forum/uploaded/3/Me%20with%20Hitchens.jpg

The photo was taken by Timothy Householder, Boron10 as he is known on this site.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2011 :  11:19:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

Originally posted by H. Humbert

Randi has just asked for a copy.

I don't have time to send it around but the image link is here if you want to send it to Coyne:

http://www.skepticfriends.org/forum/uploaded/3/Me%20with%20Hitchens.jpg

The photo was taken by Timothy Householder, Boron10 as he is known on this site.

Never mind. I did it.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2011 :  19:11:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Stephanie Zvan identified a disturbing trend on Twitter.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2011 :  19:40:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice eulogy from James Randi. Now I know what he wanted the photo for.

We've lost a giant

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

chefcrsh
Skeptic Friend

Hong Kong
380 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2011 :  19:42:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send chefcrsh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That twitter trend reminded me of a Steve Martin "upbeat" song lyric, sung to a bright banjo ditty: "Oh death, and grief, and sorrow, and murder"
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2011 :  21:01:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The world has lost a real gem. We need smart, plain-speaking antagonists such as him to keep us questioning, caring, and thinking.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2012 :  01:21:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What a loss! Hardly unexpected, but still numbing. I saw him talk and met him a couple of years ago in Berkeley. As I noted here at the time, he looked sickly even then. Hitch himself "explained" that he'd been "bitten by a spider."

Hitchens' 2010 debate on religion with Tony Blair is on YouTube, here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3kHRTUUJAI

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.