Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 15

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2012 :  09:17:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by jamalrapper
Disproof of a prediction is evidence of progress!!!!!
Yeah....? It means that you have learned something new. That's progress, is it not?

METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL
It's a small, off-duty czechoslovakian traffic warden!
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2012 :  09:27:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Proof that science is also a religion.

Similar to religion the more you disprove its predictions, the more progress it makes(it refers to religion)
You're kidding, right? It refers to religion? Please explane so even a I can understand.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2012 :  09:30:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

And since you have asserted that ID is science, ID must therefore be a religion. That about wraps that up.

(I still think it's a real knee-slapper when religious people say things like "science is a religion" as if religion were a bad thing.)

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2012 :  10:38:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

. . .

(I still think it's a real knee-slapper when religious people say things like "science is a religion" as if religion were a bad thing.)
Yup. And even "Atheism is a religion. It takes more faith than just believing in God."

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

jamalrapper
Sockpuppet

213 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2012 :  14:32:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send jamalrapper a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

Similar to religion the more you disprove its predictions, the more progress it makes(it refers to religion)
You're kidding, right? It refers to religion? Please explane so even a I can understand.

People have been knocking religion for centuries and the more they knock it the more it progresses/spreads. Even today there are over 1.2 billion Christians, 1.5 Billion muslims. I used these two because they both accept diving creation.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2012 :  15:08:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Originally posted by Kil

People have been knocking religion for centuries and the more they knock it the more it progresses/spreads. Even today there are over 1.2 billion Christians, 1.5 Billion muslims. I used these two because they both accept diving creation.
The article you quoted from is only talking about the scientific method. Whatever grip you have has nothing to do with science being a religion. And that was your claim. Science doesn't actually address religion unless it's specific claims that can be tested like bleeding statues or faith healing.

We can now add the strawman to your list of logical fallacies.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2012 :  15:25:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

People have been knocking religion for centuries and the more they knock it the more it progresses/spreads.
Actually, it starts to decline as soon as the religious quit burning those who knock it.
Even today there are over 1.2 billion Christians, 1.5 Billion muslims.
Actually, 2.1 billion Christians. But in 1910, Christians made up 35% of the world's population, while in 2010, that had dropped to 32%.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

jamalrapper
Sockpuppet

213 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2012 :  15:59:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send jamalrapper a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

Originally posted by Kil

The article you quoted from is only talking about the scientific method. Whatever grip you have has nothing to do with science being a religion. And that was your claim. Science doesn't actually address religion unless it's specific claims that can be tested like bleeding statues or faith healing.

We can now add the strawman to your list of logical fallacies.

Get real Kil.
Skeptics do not contribute to any debate on any issue. They are just consumers. They either reject or accept the final product.

I tried to do a search of skeptics who are scientist, or skeptics who are active in renaissance religion, or skeptics contributing to common cause. Nada, zero, nonplus, don't exist.

The only thing that comes up are skeptics of climate change. That is the line in the sand skeptics have drawn. Everything else is trajectory that goes pass their social participation and relevance. The other largest registration of climate change reactionaries are deniers.

Between the two groups what their dramatically ideological stance hopes to achieve is a total reversal of existing attempts to prevent such impending catastrophe.

That one should respect skeptics because they believe so little and are willing to die for it makes religious fanaticism a palatable alternative.

Now try to understand the skeptics predicament. They would be too skeptical of god, religion, monkeys on typewriters creating works of Shakespeare, flapping arms turning into wings in Lamarckian descent.

But they will stick a wet finger to the wind to gauge its direction and the general temperature and compare it to what was registered when they had the same finger up their arse. To them climate change is local and directly observable.

Can such local practices apply to global climate change. It appears they can. All they need are other participating skeptics strategically located across the different continents with Internet access and some dexterity with fingers.

I am skeptical about their methodology but not enough to declare myself a skeptic of skeptics in the truest definition fashioned by their ultimate rule of thumb. I will not get into that for now.
Edited by - jamalrapper on 02/17/2012 16:59:34
Go to Top of Page

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2012 :  16:15:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am skeptical..

I am skeptical about your ability to make a rational argument. You're mostly just moaning.

METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL
It's a small, off-duty czechoslovakian traffic warden!
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2012 :  16:42:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Hawks

I am skeptical..

I am skeptical about your ability to make a rational argument. You're mostly just moaning.
Yeah. I just don't know where to begin. I'm too tired now to go over the whole thing, but what good will it do? The guy claims that science is religion, and when he's challenged, he comes back with how bad skeptics are and that scientists aren't skeptics, because google says they aren't, and so on. It's just crazy at this point.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

jamalrapper
Sockpuppet

213 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2012 :  16:53:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send jamalrapper a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Hawks

I am skeptical..

I looked at your profile. It says you are from Canada, in Canada.
You are right why do people read it as do it when it is not written on your forehead. They don't, because it is written on your wife's forehead. Just saying........
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2012 :  18:28:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

. . .
Skeptics do not contribute to any debate on any issue. They are just consumers. They either reject or accept the final product.

I tried to do a search of skeptics who are scientist, or skeptics who are active in renaissance religion, or skeptics contributing to common cause. Nada, zero, nonplus, don't exist.

. . .
You are obviously just making shit up. The more people corner you on your assertions, the more fantastical your inventions. I'm seriously wondering if you woke up one day and decided "How 'bout I go fuck with some skeptics?" Because all your "arguments" are either a few quote-mined Creo distortions, or utter bullshit you pulled out of your ass on the spur of the moment, as above. It's invented babble. There's no there there.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2012 :  19:51:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

. . .

. . .
You are obviously just making shit up. The more people corner you on your assertions, the more fantastical your inventions. I'm seriously wondering if you woke up one day and decided "How 'bout I go fuck with some skeptics?" Because all your "arguments" are either a few quote-mined Creo distortions, or utter bullshit you pulled out of your ass on the spur of the moment, as above. It's invented babble. There's no there there.
Actually, if you use the search terms skeptic scientists, you do get the AGW debate. Such are the ways of google. But hey. At TAM alone I counted 21 scientists as speakers, and that doesn't include all of the scientists in the attendance out of the 1500 of us there. Neil DeGrasse Tyson was the keynote speaker at a skeptics convention. No scientist skeptics. Ha!

But really, it all means nothing. He's just trying to deflect from his failure to show how science is a religion. Everything he posted was about the scientific method, and he seems to have misunderstood all of it. But whatever...

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2012 :  08:21:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And here I though jamalrapper was being incoherent in the other thread. These latest posts of his here are total nonsense, both factually and grammatically.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

jamalrapper
Sockpuppet

213 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2012 :  08:30:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send jamalrapper a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

. . .

. . .

They say: Skeptics are different from deniers in that they will admit to a mistake and change positions when proven wrong unlike deniers who will build another argument to defend their disbelief.

By Kil's own admission when you search for skeptic scientist only AWG skeptics and deniers show up.

Kil wrote Actually, if you use the search terms skeptic scientists, you do get the AGW debate.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 15 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.36 seconds.