Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2012 :  07:05:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Storm

well Dave if you have no time to entertain all possibilities then don't. but lets try to entertain the things I have put forward.. wait.. watching an old Joan fontain and Robert Ryan movie..its great.. O.K. Once i had an experience with a tarot card reader now me being an avid tarot card reader myself could see through some of things she was saying..but one particular thing she did tell me was that someone was trying to contact me from the other side.. she could not tell me who. I went home from my reading and went about my family duties and went to sleep. Some hous later I awoke to loud banging on my bedroom door. scared out of my wits I woke my husband u and he opened the door and checked the whole house. No One. Fell back asleep leaving it to imagination when yet again a loud banging awaken me from my sleep. this time I moved closer too my husband and after a short while the knocking stopped. I never heard it again. Definetly a suggestion to my mind. But why at that time? I have had many readings since and nothing like that.

OK, here is the issue.

I have done Tarot readings. I also examined how I was doing the readings and what answers I was giving.

They tended to be boilerplate, vague, and applicable to anyone yet the people I was reading for thought I had some special gift. I don't. Tarot cards require some form of cold reading. While training to become a Tarot card reader, the phrases "let the person being read interpret some of the cards" and "the cards will tell you what they mean".

Your trance medium was using cold reading techniques (either consciously or unconsciously).

Loud banging in a house can be from a myriad of things unrelated to the paranormal (spirits). Houses settle over time and will creak, groan and, as walls seperate slightly, the vibrations of the nails slowly pulling slightly out of walls at the joints can cause knocking in the vicinity of loose or slack doors. Seismic activity in your area can also cause this.

With any residential door that is not hermetically sealed, there is always some play.

When the Sycamore, IL 2.8 quake hit, it shook my townhome. There were sounds that resembled heavy equipment rolling past the house and closed doors made knocking sounds in their frames as they were buffeted by the shock wave. These lasted about 15-20 seconds. I did not notice the shaking until I stood up. Lying in bed, the shaking was not evident.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2012 :  13:05:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Well dave lets work on defying it. I did not feel duped by the mediun. If I told her what I thought might being going on other than ghost or spirits she would definetly disagree.
Are you at least surprised? She makes a living out of "conning" people that way. Regardless if she is doing it intentionally or really believing in the BS she is selling, and regardless if her customers believe in it or know it's BS but are doing it for the entertainment value.

So what if energy is the heat we give off.
The energy that is the heat we give off, is actually movement of molecules and atoms. The relative speed of movements of molecules in a gas is the carrier of heat. Kinetic energy. The molecules fly away in random directions dissipating the concentration of higher-velocity molecules.

Possibly the scents we give.
The scents we give off are (mostly) complex molecules that evaporate from our skin, or are expelled by our breath. These molecules also gets carried away in random directions, some of them eventually ending up in our nose where they hit our smell-receptors which signals to the brain that they've detected a certain molecule (for example a pheromone molecule).
The explanation is really mundane, yet it's effect is so wondrous it gives me a hard-on when the pheromone comes from my wife...

Maybe there is information in these things.
Oh yes...
The information in smells ranges in scale, everything from the foghorn signal that is teargas (or in my case the smell of someone's puke) to the undetectable but sublime signal that a female is ovulating.

But these signals dissipate rather quickly once the source of the signal is gone. The only signal you'll get from your dearly beloved grandparent that just recently passed will be the smell of decomposing flesh.

Maybe it has to do with hormones... Not to be personel but i have started having hot flashes actually they are longer than flashes.. God I wish they were flash... anyway this usually happens for at least 12 days out of the month.. In that time i notice my thought transfernce is high. last month it was extremely high.. one to three hits a day. No demonic possession no spirit guide.. just my mind
Do these "flashes" have any correlation with your different hormone levels?

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2012 :  13:58:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Valiant Dancer

OK, here is the issue.

I have done Tarot readings. I also examined how I was doing the readings and what answers I was giving.

They tended to be boilerplate, vague, and applicable to anyone yet the people I was reading for thought I had some special gift. I don't. Tarot cards require some form of cold reading. While training to become a Tarot card reader, the phrases "let the person being read interpret some of the cards" and "the cards will tell you what they mean".

Your trance medium was using cold reading techniques (either consciously or unconsciously).

Loud banging in a house can be from a myriad of things unrelated to the paranormal (spirits). Houses settle over time and will creak, groan and, as walls seperate slightly, the vibrations of the nails slowly pulling slightly out of walls at the joints can cause knocking in the vicinity of loose or slack doors. Seismic activity in your area can also cause this.

With any residential door that is not hermetically sealed, there is always some play.

I always thought tarot as symbols. If someone asked me a question the card in hand will be interputted accordingly.

The loud banging in the house was definetly the suggestion to my mind by the tarot reader.. not the door.

The medium did not use cold reading. I am well aware of cold reading techniques. There was something more. Like thought transference.
Go to Top of Page

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2012 :  14:01:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

Well dave lets work on defying it. I did not feel duped by the mediun. If I told her what I thought might being going on other than ghost or spirits she would definetly disagree.
Are you at least surprised? She makes a living out of "conning" people that way. Regardless if she is doing it intentionally or really believing in the BS she is selling, and regardless if her customers believe in it or know it's BS but are doing it for the entertainment value.

So what if energy is the heat we give off.
The energy that is the heat we give off, is actually movement of molecules and atoms. The relative speed of movements of molecules in a gas is the carrier of heat. Kinetic energy. The molecules fly away in random directions dissipating the concentration of higher-velocity molecules.

Possibly the scents we give.
The scents we give off are (mostly) complex molecules that evaporate from our skin, or are expelled by our breath. These molecules also gets carried away in random directions, some of them eventually ending up in our nose where they hit our smell-receptors which signals to the brain that they've detected a certain molecule (for example a pheromone molecule).
The explanation is really mundane, yet it's effect is so wondrous it gives me a hard-on when the pheromone comes from my wife...

Maybe there is information in these things.
Oh yes...
The information in smells ranges in scale, everything from the foghorn signal that is teargas (or in my case the smell of someone's puke) to the undetectable but sublime signal that a female is ovulating.

But these signals dissipate rather quickly once the source of the signal is gone. The only signal you'll get from your dearly beloved grandparent that just recently passed will be the smell of decomposing flesh.

Maybe it has to do with hormones... Not to be personel but i have started having hot flashes actually they are longer than flashes.. God I wish they were flash... anyway this usually happens for at least 12 days out of the month.. In that time i notice my thought transfernce is high. last month it was extremely high.. one to three hits a day. No demonic possession no spirit guide.. just my mind
Do these "flashes" have any correlation with your different hormone levels?
Go to Top of Page

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2012 :  14:06:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
woops hit the wrong button. Dr. Mabuse. What if these particles given off get interpeted in the brain like the scent of puke...etc. What if thoughts of my husbands grandmother got put out and the medium was able to interput. Not spirits but natural messages. I did not think my husbands grandmothers decomposing flesh would speak.. although I beleive ghost phenomenon is attributed to these left over particles and boy we have had discussions before on this. There is more to the mind then we know.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2012 :  14:35:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

well Dave if you have no time to entertain all possibilities then don't.
Nobody has the time.
but lets try to entertain the things I have put forward..
What you've put forward is that maybe there is some sort of "information" that can pass between people aside from the normal routes that information takes. What is there to entertain? Sure, perhaps that's true. Until you come up with a plausible mechanism and a way to test it, there's nothing to seriously think about.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2012 :  15:02:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well let us not say there is nothing intersting to talk about.. how about think of a way we can begin to test these things. A journal is a start. I could measure time, temp, light,etc.. Now in doing this forum I have not had any of these thought transference...not since I had that bad hot flash attack. It sounds a little crazy but hormones play such an important role in our functions. just like poltergeist activities. I do not beleive poltergeists are noisy ghosts...or demons and bill warren seems to think. if you look at data collected on these reported incidents you find these occurences happen mainly with girls going into puberty...Hormones.
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2012 :  19:36:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Originally posted by Valiant Dancer

OK, here is the issue.

I always thought tarot as symbols. If someone asked me a question the card in hand will be interputted accordingly.

The loud banging in the house was definetly the suggestion to my mind by the tarot reader.. not the door.

The medium did not use cold reading. I am well aware of cold reading techniques. There was something more. Like thought transference.

Fraid not.

The medium, from your description of the event, allowed you to talk and picked up on the underlying thing you were thinking about by interpreting the non-verbal signals you were giving off.

Again, the card has a myriad of accepted meanings. All of which are vague and can apply to most people or their own situations.

For instance, 9 of Swords. Conflict. Find me one person who claims not to have any sort of conflict in their life and I'll show you a liar.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2012 :  07:42:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The medium and the tarot card reader were two different people. the tarot card read my husband... the medium spoke to me. my husband told the medium nothing on his thoughts of his grandmother. these were random woman we got by picking numbers. What kind of verbal cue could he have given her. in fact when we went in the room he did not speak at all to the medium. it was not until the medium mentioned his maternal grandmother that he said something The tarot card reader merely interputed the cards according to my husband question.
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2012 :  08:24:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Had he not said anything about his maternal Grandmother after being prompted she would have moved on to fish for another hit. Once the Maternal Grandmother was prompted your husband responded, which is all that these people need.

Go watch Nightmare Alley, that will show you the lengths these people will go to to deceive. Nowadays it would be far, far easier. Once they get your name which they may have had before the party, they can use the internet to find leads for their "cold read".

You continue to come in here with a "psi-of-the-week" story, have you no doubts about ANY topic? Youve claimed that you have these doubts, yet your questions and comments never reflect that. It is always "I think 'psi-x' has a lot of promise/appears real what do you think?"

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2012 :  08:30:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote

The medium and the tarot card reader were two different people.

A simple trick, did you think that they were not working together? You went to a party where mediums were the plan, these people didnt just show up at the party randomly and perform, it is a staged party trick, no doubt if you tried to find another one of these parties, like tupperware without a lid, the same "mediums" would happen to be there together.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2012 :  08:36:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Storm:
We picked numbers out of a hat and my husband was the first to go. this particular lady was actually not a medium bit a tarot card reader. my husband asked her a question about his maternal grandmother since passed and through the symbolism of the cards she told him numerous things about her.

Storm:
my husband told the medium nothing on his thoughts of his grandmother.

Storm. You can't have it both ways. In your opening post you clearly stated that your husband initiated discussion about his maternal grandmother.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2012 :  11:56:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My husband did not mention anything to the Medium..Only the Tarot card reader. Two different women. I have doubsts not about the phenomeno that goes on but its explantaions. Ghosts..left over energy that in certain people trigger and define that piece. Some might have auditory, touch or full apparition. Depends on the brain on the enrgy in the environment. Some peole definetly charlatans.
The party was too big and we were all picked at random. My husbands tarot card reading was way befor mine. Also when I picked the number I did not know who I would see. Medium tarot card reader numerologist.
Actually she did not move on to fish.. but y cats describing their personalitis to a tee. And she did not ask me cold reading questions.. she was not trying to get the info from me ..believe me I know cold readers, charlatnas. I have been investigating and studying all the phenomena for more than 20 years.
Go to Top of Page

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2012 :  12:01:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I once believed ghosts were souls of the dead. I have come to the conclusion they are not. but the phenomena still exists. I am a sensitive to these energies. I am sensitive to touch...auditory...I gre up in a house haunted by this energy..in fact the phenomena happen still to this day. No charlatan..no mumbo jumbo..or demonic souls.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2012 :  18:12:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

but the phenomena still exists.
Describe these alleged phenomena exactly, please.
I am a sensitive to these energies.
Describe these alleged energies exactly, please.
I am sensitive to touch...
So is everyone who isn't numb.
auditory...
So is everyone who isn't deaf.
I gre up in a house haunted by this energy..
What is your definition of "haunted?"
in fact the phenomena happen still to this day.
Where can we go to see evidence for this?
No charlatan..no mumbo jumbo..or demonic souls.
I notice that you left mistakes, delusions and hallucinations off that list.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.27 seconds.