Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2012 :  14:43:56  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Any such thing... If my son could have my fathers feet.. my daughter look just like my mom... could memories then be passed on? Hence what people think are past lives.. really are.. not ones they lived but ancestors. I once had someone try to regress me.. she told me i was a warrior in my previous life...well my ancestors were..The Magyars know for riding backwards on their horses and shooting arrows. It is possible that one who is attracted to certain time periods are experiencing a genetic memory?

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2012 :  14:47:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Storm:
It is possible that one who is attracted to certain time periods are experiencing a genetic memory?

Possible? Sure. But probably not.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2012 :  15:45:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Storm

Any such thing... If my son could have my fathers feet.. my daughter look just like my mom... could memories then be passed on?
Most likely not.

Memories are stored in the brain by different configurations of brain cells, and the states of them. It's a network of more than 100 billions of cells*1, each with a fantastic number of different configurations (since these states are analogue). There are only 4 billion basepairs in the human genome, with only 4 different (digital-) configuration possibilities. Even if the entire human genome was dedicated to store information containing a memory, there wouldn't be space to store even one minute out of 70 years of experiences.

The DNA that goes into the egg which was fertilized and became you, Storm, came from oozytes which were produced when your mother was still in your grandmother's womb. And her DNA came from when your grandmother was still in your great-grandmonther's womb.
Any experiences recorded in your DNA from your materal side of your line have to come from being inside one womb or another.

*1 The Scientific American Book of the Brain. New York: Scientific American, 1999: 3.
Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_cells_are_in_the_human_brain#ixzz1lAbImsiP

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Edited by - Dr. Mabuse on 02/01/2012 15:52:30
Go to Top of Page

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2012 :  16:13:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
so then its true past lives exist if not in the memory. OMG.... Still not sure about your answere. So who ever originally had the type of feet my father had passed it on... maybe its just one second of a memory or 1/2 a second... and not all memories have to be stored just som...just like my one son got my fathers feet... my daughter has his eyes...
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2012 :  17:26:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Your son does not have "your father's feet" because your remember your father having a particular kind of feet. He has them because it is coded in his DNA, which he inherited from your father through you. Your memory has no causal connection to it.

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2012 :  12:34:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote

so then its true past lives exist if not in the memory. OMG.... Still not sure about your answere. So who ever originally had the type of feet my father had passed it on... maybe its just one second of a memory or 1/2 a second... and not all memories have to be stored just som...just like my one son got my fathers feet... my daughter has his eyes...

You are suggesting a type of race memory. One that there is no evidence for but plenty of sci-fi about.

My personal fave is Five Million Years To Earth.

Past lives do not pertain to real geneaology. I've also noticed that very few regressed past lives are boring. You also had someone do a past life regression who was just trying to con you. Past life regressions are interpreted by the individual that is having it done, not the regressor.

Congrats, you've met a charlatain. They said precisely what you wanted to hear. Warriors, strong people that the person being conned.... I mean regressed.... admire. Throw in some dubious history concerning a conglomeration of seven Hungarian tribes around 400-850 CE and whammo. Got you hooked. And the description of Magyar mounted archery is completely false. No mounted archery ever did this. Parthians and other nomadic tribes like the Hungarians would turn their upper body around to make shots while retreating but always were normally facing forward.

Note that no one is ever a minor beaurocrat or pesant. Everyone is Joan D'Arc or Ptolemy. (My momma done Ptolemy, my momma done Ptolemy.)

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2012 :  11:43:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes i mean a race memory. no this lady was not a charlatan. Not all mediums and such Some actually believe they have this ability and I believe many do..some are truly not in it for the money. Sometimes we need to lose that old ball and chain of Spiritualism.
While most of these mediums believe actual conscious ghosts are speaking to them. I believe its something else..something that happens within the mind and the environment. a sort of untuned radio station. energy left in the environment during like ...replayed to a sensitive mind.. or in some other cases like wwith the medium..some sort of thought transference
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2012 :  11:46:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

...energy left in the environment...
How? Why? By what?

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2012 :  12:13:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Yes i mean a race memory. no this lady was not a charlatan. Not all mediums and such Some actually believe they have this ability and I believe many do..some are truly not in it for the money. Sometimes we need to lose that old ball and chain of Spiritualism.
While most of these mediums believe actual conscious ghosts are speaking to them. I believe its something else..something that happens within the mind and the environment. a sort of untuned radio station. energy left in the environment during like ...replayed to a sensitive mind.. or in some other cases like wwith the medium..some sort of thought transference

I want you to do some research. Just a little.

Here are your subjects.

1) American Spiritualism Movement
2) The Fox Sisters
3) The Bell Witch
4) The Borley Rectory
5) EMF and ghosts

You will note a few things.

The stories have some unknown portions.
There is no scientific link of phenomenon and EMF.
In some cases outright fraud was used. (One of the Fox sisters confessed.)

You start from a position of belief and, despite skepticism and counter points, you insist on the validity of your primary premise. A premise that is baseless.

Go to Top of Page

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2012 :  12:17:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In my investigations and investigations in the past ghosts tend to be around places that have tragedy attatched to them. Suicide murder etc.. Have you ever been so mad that you can literally project your energy out.. perhaps in a scream a swing of the arm or kick of the leg. In tragic situations blood pressure rises, the heart speads up.. perhaps the functions get put into the envoronment. Captured. Now while there are tragic events all over..I live in seminole Indian country..they were scalping heads up the block..Yet I have never experienced any of it. This says to me there must be something else either in the environment or the mind itself that makes it the right time. Perhaps temerature, humidity, hormone level..
We can't say these things are not true because we have not ruled this out how would you test it anyway..Murder your subject and see if it comes back as a ghost. while you test temperature, humidity, etc?
The problem with ghost investigations is that these people go in beleiving their are souls of the dead.. they even go on to start arguing with them..Its like a joke...Who would believeit.. and they go in for one day as if they can command the phenomena to appear..
This is why serious scientists will not investigate. Sad but true
Go to Top of Page

Hal
Skeptic Friend

USA
302 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2012 :  12:42:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Hal a Private Message  Reply with Quote

This is why serious scientists will not investigate. Sad but true

Serious scientists can't investigate anything for which they can obtain no direct, or indirect, material evidence.
Go to Top of Page

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2012 :  12:59:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
valiant I am so familiar with all that you mention and more. i have studied the workings of Sedgwick, Myers...In fact I belon the the
society for Psychicsl resesrch.Studied about the medium D.D. Hume.. the ramblings the drug induced Crowley. My premises are not baseless. I know the fox sisters were frauds.. but they have given labeled all mediums frauds.. all ghosts delusional. How would we begin to measure thought transference? I am not a scientist? How would measure ghost phenomena. We cannot say all the phenomena are fake or misconstrude. There are patterns to hauntings. tragedy being one. So why targedy? As I put forth before.. temerature, moon phase, astrnomical, hormones, blood pressure,etc..
so many possibilities but we lose ouselves to charlatans or deceased souls returning to the living, instead possibly to our own minds our own bodies and the environment.
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2012 :  14:59:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote

valiant I am so familiar with all that you mention and more. i have studied the workings of Sedgwick, Myers...In fact I belon the the
society for Psychicsl resesrch.Studied about the medium D.D. Hume.. the ramblings the drug induced Crowley. My premises are not baseless. I know the fox sisters were frauds.. but they have given labeled all mediums frauds.. all ghosts delusional. How would we begin to measure thought transference? I am not a scientist? How would measure ghost phenomena. We cannot say all the phenomena are fake or misconstrude. There are patterns to hauntings. tragedy being one. So why targedy? As I put forth before.. temerature, moon phase, astrnomical, hormones, blood pressure,etc..
so many possibilities but we lose ouselves to charlatans or deceased souls returning to the living, instead possibly to our own minds our own bodies and the environment.

Devoid evidence, the claims are suspect.

There are many other mediums that have been exposed as frauds.

Your claims. You provide proof/empirical evidence.

The brain is wired to see patterns even where they do not exist or are not causal. See "confirmation bias".

I believe in the existance of ghosts. I have no empirical evidence of it and it does not impact my day to day logic. I do, however, question a methodology/detection device purported to have a scientific basis which has no studies or empirical evidence. Given the nature of electrical wiring and EMF, there are more reasonable explainations of a far more Earthly basis that calls into question the effacy of the equipment.

Go to Top of Page

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2012 :  16:22:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do have a day to day basis with ghosts.. that is my thing... just some years ago when I was active in ghost investigations I used an EMF meter but the only time it worked on anything was when I put it in my purse and on returning from out side it sat on the kitchen counter. do i believe it was a conscious deceased person that did that... no but I believe it was someones conscious or subconscious that put it there. Its very hard to break the publics thoughs on ghosts and souls of our dearly departed. If only we could test it for real. Ever see the movie The Haunting not the remake but the original. If there could only be those serious enough to investigate haunted houses.. without the bias of souls of the dead.
If you believe in ghosts why? what do you think they are?
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2012 :  13:13:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I do have a day to day basis with ghosts.. that is my thing... just some years ago when I was active in ghost investigations I used an EMF meter but the only time it worked on anything was when I put it in my purse and on returning from out side it sat on the kitchen counter. do i believe it was a conscious deceased person that did that... no but I believe it was someones conscious or subconscious that put it there. Its very hard to break the publics thoughs on ghosts and souls of our dearly departed. If only we could test it for real. Ever see the movie The Haunting not the remake but the original. If there could only be those serious enough to investigate haunted houses.. without the bias of souls of the dead.
If you believe in ghosts why? what do you think they are?

You believe. We accept that.

What scientifically sound basis do you use to suggest the existance of ghosts? What does a movie have to do with science?

I do believe in ghosts. I have a bit of conjecture that ghosts fall into two categories, repeat hauntings and intelligence propelled hauntings.

The differences can be summed up in the following way.

Repeat or replay hauntings merely replay what has happened. There are stories of these in England whereby one Queen goes scraming down a palace corridor to plead for her life. Mary Queen of Scots who played "chase me, chase me" with the headsman is said to repeat the performance in the Tower square.

Intelligence propelled hauntings seem to react to current events and situations.

Now, my empirical evidence for this being the way it is consists of exactly jack squat. It is, however, based on the writings of Hans Holtzer, Harry Price, and several TV programs that report the stories.

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2012 :  16:04:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I do have a day to day basis with ghosts.. that is my thing... just some years ago when I was active in ghost investigations I used an EMF meter but the only time it worked on anything was when I put it in my purse and on returning from out side it sat on the kitchen counter.
An EMF meter measures electromagnetic fields. There are two main kinds of fields: AC and DC fields. Which kind of field does your meter measure?

An EMF-meter can be sensitive to electrostatic charges. Electrostatic fields can easily be generated by friction against synthetic materials such as nylon. As if you're rubbing something against it. Temperature is also a factor, as the absolute humidity drops when it gets colder. When it gets dryer, electrostatic charges builds up more easily.

What was the temperature outside, before you came in and took it out of the purse?
What type of fabric is the insides of your purse?

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.