Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2012 :  19:17:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Storm

So had an unusual occurence last night. Hot flashes started not relly flashes but my huband and i were watching Vertigo by Alfred Hitchcock.. he was on the computer..i was nuggling next to him and the open credits were on.. now i have seen the movie many times and I did not remember such a artsy opening... I even said to myself " I do not remeber such a wild opening." not two seconds later my husband says and i quote "I don't remember such a wild opening." my words. my husband and i have many of these experiences. Coincedence sure you could chalk it up to that i do not think so. occams razor sometimes just an excuse for what we cannot explain. A cop out.
Hell, I've been married so long, know her so well, that I can usually finish my wife's sentences. BUT I don't.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2012 :  08:26:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is not about finishing sentences.. then you have some knowledge of what she is saying. These are silent thoughts that get transmitted.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2012 :  09:13:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Storm:
occams razor sometimes just an excuse for what we cannot explain. A cop out.

Occam's razor suggests that the simplest explanation is usually (but not always) correct because it makes the fewest assumptions. Assuming something that we don't know exists as a cause is not the simplest explanation with the fewest assumptions. It's an extraordinary claim with made up assumptions. Coincidence is the simplest explanation and not a cop out because it isn't, as you assert, something that cannot be explained. Even you, Storm, have admitted that it could be a coincidence. And your personal incredulity is all you have in favore of a conclusion that makes more assumptions than are necessary.

You will have to do better to convince anyone around here. What is the empirical evidence for "thought transference" beyond what can be picked up from others in more mundane ways? What is your argument for ESP that does not rely on anecdotal evidence? As far as I know, from a scientific standpoint, because ESP has been investigated, you are holding an empty hand.

Will you at least entertain the idea that you might be wrong instead of attacking one of the methods that we use to evaluate the evidence?

No one here is saying that "thought transference" in way you mean it is impossible. But without a mechanism to explore, and because there are other ways to explain what you have described, it seems unlikely. That you believe otherwise is not evidence.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2012 :  10:25:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote

This is not about finishing sentences.. then you have some knowledge of what she is saying. These are silent thoughts that get transmitted.
No. It is about how well you know, how long you have been with, someone. Level of familiarity, shared ideas and perspectives, doesn't surprise me. Besides as already pointed out how many times have you started watching a movie, had a thought about that movie, and nothing was said or something totally different was said. You need to count the misses.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2012 :  12:33:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote

By what means?

Appeals to magick will not work here.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2012 :  18:43:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
skeptiks will call it magick.. I call it thought transference something our brains due naturally or some peolple due it naturally.
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2012 :  07:02:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote

skeptiks will call it magick.. I call it thought transference something our brains due naturally or some peolple due it naturally.

No, skeptics will call it an appeal to magic.

I call it magick because of the particular nuances inherent to that term in my religion.

You seem to have a malapropistic view of things. You cannot explain something so instead of researching what it might be or put any sort of effort to explain it, you assign it a name which sounds good but do not define the word nor do you have evidence or even a conjecture of the mechanism of change.

You can call subsonic vocalizations by rodents "psychic attacks by mice" but it does not define what the terms mean nor does it suggest a methodology of attack.

Your contention that this occurs naturally is unsupported by any evidence what-so-ever. It is also not defined anywhere in your aimless rantings so there is nothing to test.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2012 :  13:12:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
just another as you would say coincidence. i am at work and mt girlfriend had been dating this guy, But they broke up a month ago. Today i asked her if he had texted lately and she said no not since they broke up. i went into the kitchen and she came running in sayiny you are never gonna guess who just texted me having tremendous hot flashes. More than just coincidence
Go to Top of Page

Hal
Skeptic Friend

USA
302 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2012 :  14:10:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Hal a Private Message  Reply with Quote

just another as you would say coincidence. i am at work and mt girlfriend had been dating this guy, But they broke up a month ago. Today i asked her if he had texted lately and she said no not since they broke up. i went into the kitchen and she came running in sayiny you are never gonna guess who just texted me having tremendous hot flashes. More than just coincidence

Why "more than" coincidence? Is there some particular reason why this could not be "mere" coincidence?
Go to Top of Page

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2012 :  15:03:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
because mere coincedences as you all say but it happens to me all the time most when i have these hormonal issues. Super ESP coined by Hornell Hart although originally thought of by Frank Podomore. This was especially thought of for mediums, not that they were speaking to the dead but it was their psi ablities.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.