General Skepticism
 Atlantis and the Kraken
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2012 :  08:22:05  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So I watched the latest PBS special on Atlantis last night, didnt really bring anything new* to the table as far as I was concerned. It was rather painful to watch this guy confused by the obvious tsunami deposits have to bring in a bucnh of experts to tell him thats what it was.

Long story short I was thinking that if the explosion at Thera/Santorini was in fact ten+ times as powerful as Krakatoa, which was heard 2000 miles away, it would have a profound effect on the surrounding cultures and religions.

These cultures and religions would have to contrive an explination on what type of (new and unknown)horror could have wiped the Minoans, the most powerful civilization in Europe from the Aegean map, seemingly overnight.

I suggest the possibility that the explosion and resultant 20-30 meter wave were the origin of the Kraken mythos and I further suggest that the term Kraken is in fact an onomatopeia for the sound of the explosion they heard and would no doubt connect to the destruction.

*The idea that the Macedonians were the only regional power with a navy that survived the event and they used this advantage to destroy the remains of the Minoans over the next century setting themselves up as the major player in the region for the next 1300 years, WAS new to me and I felt it was spot on logicly.

[Moved to the General Skepticism folder - Dave W.]

EDIT Nevermind, stupid nords came up with the Kraken name. Im going to stop thinking and start drinking.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini

Edited by - BigPapaSmurf on 01/31/2012 08:27:38

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2012 :  08:42:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kraken. I thought that was a US auto parts retail chain. Oh, well, not the first time I was mistaken.

My thoughts about the Santorini eruption is that it must have wrecked just about every ship floating in the Mediterranean, as well as having wrecked ports and lowlands. Since the Minoans were probably the premier maritime traders of the period, they doubtless suffered most from the catastrophe. Their trade was devastated. Then the Kraken ate the survivors. Or opened auto parts stores, whatever.

Maybe the Achaean Greeks had smaller ships, more suited for raids and hauling way up on beaches, ala their siege of Troy? They might have recovered more quickly than the surviving Minoans, and conquered their territories.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 01/31/2012 08:57:08
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2012 :  17:11:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by BigPapaSmurf
EDIT Nevermind, stupid nords came up with the Kraken name. Im going to stop thinking and start drinking.
In contemporary Swedish, "kraken" is a weak person (or animal/plant), both in physical and mental aspects. It's used sometimes in a derogatory manner, but more often in a compassionate manner. It can refer to someone temporarily in this weakened state, like someone totally exhausted coming indoor efter walking two miles into the wind in a snowstorm. "Awww, look at the poor kraken... (he/she needs to be cared for)" Or someone totally miserable from a bad case of the flu or cold. Or someone just born with exceptionally poor constitution.

That's why I have such a hard time keeping a straight face when evil boss in the movie shouts "Release the Kraken!"

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

podcat
Skeptic Friend

435 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2012 :  19:48:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send podcat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I feel like a kraken right about now, with my cold and sinus.

Anyway, I thought that Kraken was a Supreme Court Justice. Oh, waits, that's Kagan....

“In a modern...society, everybody has the absolute right to believe whatever they damn well please, but they don't have the same right to be taken seriously”.

-Barry Williams, co-founder, Australian Skeptics
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2012 :  21:24:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

In contemporary Swedish, "kraken" is a weak person (or animal/plant), both in physical and mental aspects. It's used sometimes in a derogatory manner, but more often in a compassionate manner. It can refer to someone temporarily in this weakened state, like someone totally exhausted coming indoor efter walking two miles into the wind in a snowstorm. "Awww, look at the poor kraken... (he/she needs to be cared for)" Or someone totally miserable from a bad case of the flu or cold. Or someone just born with exceptionally poor constitution.

That's why I have such a hard time keeping a straight face when evil boss in the movie shouts "Release the Kraken!"
The shrinkage of the krakens over the ages is an example of what I call "skeptical dwarfism." (Sort of like the "island dwarfism" of biological evolution, but without science. And without real critters.)

It happened to the Elves, too. They shrunk as Christianity replaced earlier pagan beliefs, turning from mighty warriors like the Elves of J. R. R. Tolkien into diminutive assembly line workers for Santa Claus. Historically, skeptical dwarfism is pretty much a one-way street. Once shrunk, the critter hardly ever grows back to its original size and strength. But maybe Hollywood CGI is helping the kraken.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 01/31/2012 21:29:20
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2012 :  07:16:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

The shrinkage of the krakens over the ages is an example of what I call "skeptical dwarfism." (Sort of like the "island dwarfism" of biological evolution, but without science. And without real critters.)

It happened to the Elves, too. They shrunk as Christianity replaced earlier pagan beliefs, turning from mighty warriors like the Elves of J. R. R. Tolkien into diminutive assembly line workers for Santa Claus. Historically, skeptical dwarfism is pretty much a one-way street. Once shrunk, the critter hardly ever grows back to its original size and strength. But maybe Hollywood CGI is helping the kraken.

They have shrunk further. They are now 1/2 to 1/4th size of the Santa's elves and work for Keebler.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2012 :  08:05:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Then there's the Smurfs. What the Hell kind of trollish giants were they before skeptical dwarfism afflicted them?

Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2012 :  09:49:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Then there's the Smurfs. What the Hell kind of trollish giants were they before skeptical dwarfism afflicted them?

They weren't.

According to their generation story per Peyo, they are sentient toxic waste blobules.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2012 :  11:34:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Valiant Dancer

They weren't.

According to their generation story per Peyo, they are sentient toxic waste blobules.
Then the Smurfs must have grown from those toxic blobules through the process of "credulous gigantism," the flip side of skeptical dwarfism. ("Making a mountain out of a mole-hill" is an everyday example of this phenomenon.)

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.