New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

msminnamouse

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2012 :  10:53:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send msminnamouse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You say that his techniques lead to abandonment and voilence issues yet you ignore the fact that many of them are violent and on the verge of abandonment before he gets involved.

I guess you failed to watch the video where he gets the dogs worked up for the sake of the cameras because they weren't "red zone" enough for him? The truth of the matter is that most dogs that he works with aren't even that bad because they're not aggressive until he works them up for the cameras. And I guess you also missed the part where I said that the dogs are put into a state of learned helplessness. Which is emotional shut down, which is not an improvement over their original problems. It's simply a new problem but seemingly okay to people who prefer broken, defeated dogs. And I guess you also missed where I mentioned that his methods increase aggression. And also the part where I said that many of the dogs he himself has worked with and many of the dogs people used his advice on are gotten rid of at shelters, rescues, at the side of the road and to anyone who will take them and also euthanized. That is NOT saving dogs. He is responsible for many dogs being abandoned and killed due to their increased aggression.

The dogs could be violent and the owners on the verge of abandonment in the beginning and it's no different after Millan gets through with them. There are plenty of cases where the dogs are abandoned after working with Millan. And Millan is so unsuccessful that he has what he calls his "pack" which is just a large group of dogs that he couldn't bully into learned helplessness and so he keeps them.

So you can ignore the facts all you want but it doesn't make Millan any kind of hero or expert. He's still the animal abuser that he is.

Here's another perfect example of his ignorance and abuse:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqWTpcxcZ04&feature=related

He ACTUALLY says that "after he passes the psychological challenge, he sees that nothing bad is happening and all is great" WHILE the dog is panting like a freight train and is hunched down, trying to appear as small as possible. It also looks like he might be shaking but he's panting so hard that I can't tell for sure. It also looks like the dog is hyperventilating. All these are MAJOR stress signals.

Then he says that the leash is slack and the dog appears to come in while the leash is slack. I wonder why they cut scenes. What did they just hide? Of course they edited out further leash pulling because there's no way the dog got in on his own or Millan would look even more like the failure that he is.

Yet again, while there are major stress signals being given, Millan claims that the dog isn't sure, but that he's enjoying it.

He tells the owner that if he wants to stop the forward motion (the dog trying to swim away), you just tilt him up. Well then why didn't it "stop the forward motion" like Millan said it would? Why is the dog still paddling?

And then, this just takes the cake. He actually tells the owner to pretty much do an alpha roll IN THE POOL. He tells the owner to put the dog on his back when they're IN THE POOL. He says it's total trust. How is forcing the dog onto his back total trust??? That would take any remaining trust right out of a dog. Look at the huge whale eyes and tense face, both stress signals. There is NO trust here and no enjoyment on the dog's part.

Just let me know if you want to see the video of him terrorizing the blind dog.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2012 :  22:06:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
[Damn, Nat Geo won't let people in the Philippines watch that video! Must be a national security issue ...]

msminnamouse, you can "reply with quote" to any post by using the curving-arrow button above the post. That will identify the person you're shredding replying to.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 03/20/2012 22:11:57
Go to Top of Page

msminnamouse

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2012 :  09:17:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send msminnamouse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks. I was wondering if there was a feature like that on here.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2012 :  09:30:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by msminnamouse

Thanks. I was wondering if there was a feature like that on here.
You're welcome. But it gets hairy when one tries to reply to several posts or quotes all in the same post. Just remember that the "Preview" button below allows experimentation.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.