Google Earth Bulldozes Atlantis Ruins
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2012 :  19:28:57  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For some time a curious city-like grid on the floor of the North Atlantic has been causing excitement among Atlantis buffs. It has been clearly visible on Google Earth, at coordinates 31 15'15.53N 24 15'30.53W.

Atlantis.

But in the next update of Google Earth, Atlantis will be gone.

(My version, Google Earth 6.1.0.5001, still shows the remains of Plato's great city. Google can take 6.1.0.5001 from my cold, dead hands!)

Google got rid of the troublesome "anomaly" and has simply smoothed out the ocean floor at that location. "Nothing to see here, people. Now move along." Google claims to simply be switching to newer and better ocean bottom maps. "The Google map now matches the map used in the research community, which makes the Google Earth program much more useful as a tool for planning cruises to uncharted areas," they say.

Sure, that's what "they" would say. But we know better, don't we? Google is now in lock-step with Big Science.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 02/06/2012 05:39:55

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2012 :  15:15:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh! Mooner, my bad. Welcome back.

Google conspiracy? I know you know better but some others here and one topic wonders are not so sharp or seasoned as you.

I'm thinking this is nothing more than better resolution, "more data" overturning previous first impressions of less resolved data. Which happened before and before that. I'll state 2 cases.

With a recent previous case, a less resolved, image taken by a Mars probe, the 1976 Viking 1 captured an image of a Face on Mars. Two miles across!

With computer resolution added it only got better.

People were freaking, man.

For those old enough and capable of remembering back to 1976 all sorts of "woo-ologists" jump onto speculation about this being proof for the existence of a previous, extinct, civilization having had existed on mars. Here was photographic evidence for their case. That being life existing or having had existed on Mars.
Some 25 years later, April 2001, this image was taken and low and behold the face is gone. Wha-la! Just like magic or,,,, CONSPIRACY. WOOOOoooo.

As for case #2, going back in time still further into the late 19th and early 20th centuries when we had way less resolving telescopes eyeballs saw and recorded "canals" all over Mars. They were speculated to have to be "irrigation" canals bringing water from the polar ice caps to the dryer equatorial regions for farming. We were sure there was water on Mars at the time because we watched them caps grow and shrink in time with Mars' summer and winter seasons. Just like on earth. The canals had to have been built by an alien civilization of course, woo-ologists insisted and the press was eager to report the fact as they saw or were told it. Just like today. We KNOW now those Mars' polar caps are not H2O but CO2. Dooh![head slap]

With the less resolved telescopes there was Photographic images to back up all the visual reports to boot. The eye can see what is not there but photographs are another story, right?

Article link.

Check out the 4 on the bottom row! I see faces and they say seeing is believing. Yeah right, let's not ignore hearing and feeling while were at it.

It's amazing how having more or less data can change one's perspective. Of course there will always be those who will believe what they want to in spite of all conflicting data proving them in error or out right delusional.

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2012 :  21:15:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wonderful stuff, sailingsoul! I remember way back in the 1950's, reading arguments both ways about whether Mars has canals or not. I finally was persuaded then that it probably did not, and that the "canals" were the result of astronomers' brains literally connecting the dots of surface features. (I believe Isaac Asimov wrote about that likelihood.)

But we gotta be fair to good astronomers such as Lowell. Mars was very, very hard to see from Earth with the instruments of those days. And one of the "canals" was Valles Marineris, a real, rather canal-like feature.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 02/06/2012 05:42:27
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2012 :  16:08:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mooner. For me this is an interesting thread.
Talking about strange surface features check out Miranda, also named Uranus V. It get's my vote for a truly strange surface features. It's an icy moon of Uranus because they (scientists) state it's surface is from natural geologic forces with comments like like " may be due to cryovolcanic eruptions of icy magma". OK?

Who am I to doubt that it his is not the foot prints of Ancient Alien Surface Miners.

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2012 :  17:22:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, talk about bulldozing! At least three areas are obviously scarred by long-ago pit mining. And the craters in those areas make it clear that the ancient Uranians objected and nuked the miners, who must have been either Martian or Centenarian interlopers.

Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2012 :  08:26:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

Yeah, talk about bulldozing! At least three areas are obviously scarred by long-ago pit mining. And the craters in those areas make it clear that the ancient Uranians objected and nuked the miners, who must have been either Martian or Centenarian interlopers.

Obviously, they wanted to ensure that all life was wiped out. So, when they finished, they checked the planet off. Right there is the check mark on the lower right of the planet.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Fripp
SFN Regular

USA
727 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2012 :  09:35:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Fripp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They were obviously left-handed, too.

"What the hell is an Aluminum Falcon?"

"Oh, I'm sorry. I thought my Dark Lord of the Sith could protect a small thermal exhaust port that's only 2-meters wide! That thing wasn't even fully paid off yet! You have any idea what this is going to do to my credit?!?!"

"What? Oh, oh, 'just rebuild it'? Oh, real [bleep]ing original. And who's gonna give me a loan, jackhole? You? You got an ATM on that torso LiteBrite?"
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2012 :  20:17:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Fripp

They were obviously left-handed, too.
Yes! And had three fingers on each of their four hands!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2012 :  20:21:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Valiant Dancer

Obviously, they wanted to ensure that all life was wiped out. So, when they finished, they checked the planet off. Right there is the check mark on the lower right of the planet.
Some symbols are truly universal. Similarly, the Romans checked off Paul with an X.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.