Baguio, Philippines Star-Sun newspaper
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2012 :  02:27:21  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
* Click image for larger version *

Baguio Sun Star
* Click image for larger version *

(And yes, reporters here really do write in that florid style. I've just toned it down a bit here.)

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 02/12/2012 11:22:23

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1487 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2012 :  16:03:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, we've made so much progress here in the West. Not to rest on our laurels, as there has been an effort to a "race to the bottom" in the name of unbridled capitalism.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2012 :  21:35:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Philippines defies simple explanation. (Complex explanations are way beyond me.) In face of that defiance, I'll just make a few observations.

The wildly unbridled capitalism here is something I just had to eventually remark upon above, using the fake story about the opposition to a maximum hours ordinance by the Chamber of Commerce.

Of course, this is wildly fictional: There's no such ordinance being considered. But the horribly long working hours are real. And the reaction above to such a hypothetical regulation is about what I'd expect.

The Philippines should have been visited by a Charles Dickens. It's positively Victorian in many ways. Business works here almost without restraint. Regulations are typically imposed only after many people are killed. (And not by quietly dying in droves from overwork.) Even then, such public outrage is often rather muted, due to the palpable effect of the acceptance of "karma" in Philippine life.

Assuming regulations are somehow pushed through, then the first question is: How much will it cost to grease the hands of the person in charge of enforcement? And if that fails, how much does a judge charge for the rental of his services?

Corruption thus enforces the poverty of those at the bottom, but it also limits the wealth of the elites by keeping the Philippines a backwater of the global economy where international investment fears to tread.

Corruption is indeed endemic here, and it runs deep, with symbiotic cultural ties to the family patronge system. There are a great many Filipinos who are honest, and would never take a bribe. Fighting the age-old corruption seems to be the main political wish among the Filipinos I've spoken to. They generally feel they have their best chance ever to reduce corruption under the administration of President Aquino. Most of the taxis I've ridden lately have had their radios tuned to the Senate impeachment trial of the Chief Justice of the Philippine Supreme Court, who may be ousted for corruption.

The will to defeat it seems to be there, but corruption is deeply entrenched. I suspect that only when the elite families realize they'll actually get richer (along with the entire nation) in a global market without it, will it be defeated.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 02/10/2012 21:36:47
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds.