The National Security State
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2012 :  08:22:26  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fear mongering about fear mongering.

http://www.alternet.org/story/154456/is_america_on_the_verge_of_theocracy_4_fundamentalist_ideologies_threatening_u.s._liberty/

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2012 :  09:47:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree, assuming I understood you, Thor. It's fear mongering from the paranoid wing of leftist elements about other paranoid fear mongerers on the right. I ain't buying from either. If the bullets largely missed our democracy after 9-11 and the Bush years, then we're in fairly good shape. I do think it was a close call, though. Certainly the far-out rightists wish they could utterly destroy our democracy. But they wish a lot of stuff, and much of it doesn't even make sense. There's no reason to think they are doing anything but participating in a wish-fulfillment circle-jerk. (Paradoxically, their paranoid nightmares give them legitimacy and importance, if only in own their minds. Same with the paranoid lefties. And they fuel one another.)

My impression of this year in politics is that the Religious Right is largely weakened. Many of the big fundie televangelists are sitting this one out. The very extremism of paranoid rhetoric from the Teabaggers is both a sign of desperation and a cause of the paranoid right's death-spiral decline. Extremists like Santorum haven't much chance of getting the GOP nomination, and zero of being actually elected as President.

Romney, who probably will get the GOP nomination, will be desperately backpedaling to distance himself from the rightist posturing he's now doing while courting his party's crazies. And for that backpedaling he's going to called "flip-flopper" once again, just as he was by the GOP rightists during the primaries. I'd call Romney's general election chances at somewhere between slim and none. Basically Obama won the 2012 election by defeating Osama. After that, it would take a miracle to unseat him. The self-immolation forced upon the GOP by their Teabagger wingnuts hardly helps.

I'm accustomed to the paranoia of a few left elements, too, from long acquaintance since the 1960's. The present article reminds me of screeds published by that element in the Berkeley Barb. That kind of stuff fuels a few extremists, but never leaves much of a mark on US history.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 03/15/2012 09:49:16
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds.